Rear Bumper Mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear Bumper Mod within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by EJ257 I cleaned up the trash in here... I'd worry about unnecessary discussions with LEO if I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I cleaned up the trash in here...

I'd worry about unnecessary discussions with LEO if I had a rear-facing light on my car, regardless if it was powered on or not. Plus, I think it would draw even more attention to the unevenness than the empty outlet.
    Well, IIRC, a rear fog is really just a brighter red brake light that illuminates when the car is in reverse. Spiros would know better than me. Yeah, it still might look uneven on a white car.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It illuminates at any time, even when the car is moving forward. It is the same brightness as a brake light and some manufacturers actually use a brake light to save space. I think Subaru did this with the Imprezas but don't recall.

EDIT: for later cars:
    http://www.rallysportdirect.com/STI-...n-WRX-STI-2011
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I recall one of my pontiacs having rear fogs...

Can't recall how they functioned though, whether they were reverse lights only or were on when the fogs were on as well. I believe they were on with the fogs but wouldn't swear to it in a court of law.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Add a 3rd reverse light? (although I find that I wouldn't need much more light on my reverse lights...)

Or find an identical tailpipe and make a fake dualie.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It illuminates at any time, even when the car is moving forward. It is the same brightness as a brake light and some manufacturers actually use a brake light to save space. I think Subaru did this with the Imprezas but don't recall.

EDIT: for later cars:
    STI JDM Rear Light Kit Subaru Sedan WRX / STI 2011-2012 at RallySportDirect.com
    Correct. It usually has its own button that you just turn on to activate it. My 96 BMW 318i had one. It would just illuminate one bulb in a rear taillight at any time. I've also seen numerous Audis and even some VWs with them. Most Euro cars have them, even Stateside. I used to wonder why so many people were idiots when they replaced taillight bulbs cause I'd see one brighter than the other...only to realize it was probably just the rear fog

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I recall one of my pontiacs having rear fogs...

Can't recall how they functioned though, whether they were reverse lights only or were on when the fogs were on as well. I believe they were on with the fogs but wouldn't swear to it in a court of law.
    The ones on the bottom only come on when reverse is engaged on those Grand-Ams, along with the reverse lights in the tails. Those are more to light up what is behind you so you can see in the rear-views. These are not rear fog lights in the European sense.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The ones on the bottom only come on when reverse is engaged on those Grand-Ams, along with the reverse lights in the tails. Those are more to light up what is behind you so you can see in the rear-views. These are not rear fog lights in the European sense.
    Way to rain on my Pontiac Parade, Mikie.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    Doesnt look that out of place? and what about the noise?
    i dont think it looks out of place, you get used to it. I love the noise it sounds awesome!
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Let's keep this on topic guys, this isn't OT, and the rules specifically state to be extra patient and curteous in the New Member Forums.

To answer the OP's question more directly, I don't think there's a lot you can do other than significant modification to the bumper (i.e. cutting it up nearly to the point of removal), which you may or may not be willing to do on a new car. I do like the idea of a rear fog light in the other cutout. That would certainly be unique and an extra safety measure as well.

Obviously, Subaru designed the car to have a dual exhaust, so there won't be anything OEM out there to fix this. Maybe try talking to an exhaust shop about doing a custom setup for you?
    Thanks for the input, i was originally getting the q300 but it was way out of my price range so i settled on the n1, but to be honest i looked at a few wrx's with that same exhaust and it doesnt look all that bad and maybe ill do the foglight back there while I'm at it!

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    i dont think it looks out of place, you get used to it. I love the noise it sounds awesome!
    I saw a few videos on it, and i love the sound, but the videos really dont do it any justice. Well my minds made up thanks for the little push over the fence!

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you will be happy with the n1. i love it on mine and the single exhaust doesnt look bad. Here is what i did with mine recently
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	393198_10151247195572704_1296609877_n.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	108474
    Its a small d-ring my brother in law had, so for fun we hung it off the exhaust hanger on that side
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I think you will be happy with the n1. i love it on mine and the single exhaust doesnt look bad. Here is what i did with mine recently
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	393198_10151247195572704_1296609877_n.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	108474
    Its a small d-ring my brother in law had, so for fun we hung it off the exhaust hanger on that side
    I saw someone with a towhook on one side and the exhaust sticking out the other, it actually looked pretty cool.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah ive seen that too, having a low hook looks pretty awesome with the single exhaust
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

yeah ive seen that too, having a low hook looks pretty awesome with the single exhaust
    I might just end up doing that then, now i just have to save up for it!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Rear Bumper Mod

Not a fan of the hanging tow hook.

I'm kinda iffy on them when installed in the normal location though. To each their own, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I was chillin with my buddy this weekend who has an 08 STI hatch with an Invidia N1. I've never personally been a fan of the look of that particular canister, but it sure is one of the best sounding ones. But overall, it doesn't look too bad in the grand scheme of things. He doesn't have anything in the other cutout, and it doesn't stick out too bad at all.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast