Smoked Taillights? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoked Taillights? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Apples to oranges. A light tint, or light smoke will be a miniscule amount of difference, such as a 87% ...

Re: Smoked Taillights?

Apples to oranges.

A light tint, or light smoke will be a miniscule amount of difference, such as a 87% tint. The red in the taillight is still very visible during the day as well. Definitely not the black, "murdered out" look.

I can't say the same for a dark smoke, such as 67%. Losing over 30% of your light. This is pretty dark. They actually have static cling on covers that are nearly 100% black. Must be removed at night.....bad option all around IMO.

I have 20% tint on my windows, and I can see out perfectly fine, even at night. However, ive been in many vehicles with illegal 5% window tint, and it's near impossible to see out of at night. so for so many to say it's going to cause nothing but problems....i disagree.

Yes, with a very dark tint I would agree with them to an extent, but a light tint will be perfectly fine. I have a 2010 sedan and it's on my to do list, probably my headlights too! very light of course, and will be a protective film so it will.have dual purposes.

OP, what brand of film did you use? And what method did you use to apply, Dry or wet?
    Last edited by tesla317; 09-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So is it true that in an accident if you are rear ended and have smoked or darkness-modified taillights you would be at fault? I.e. you go from getting a new car with their insurance and get a free ride to the hospital and compensation for suffering to being the one taking the insurance hit and being personally liable for the guy that hit you?

If so, you guys make life choices in an extremely questionable fashion.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=mycologist;2936605]So is it true that in an accident if you are rear ended and have smoked or darkness-modified taillights you would be at fault?/QUOTE]

It is true. There have been documented cases.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Smoked Taillights?

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    So is it true that in an accident if you are rear ended and have smoked or darkness-modified taillights you would be at fault? I.e. you go from getting a new car with their insurance and get a free ride to the hospital and compensation for suffering to being the one taking the insurance hit and being personally liable for the guy that hit you?

If so, you guys make life choices in an extremely questionable fashion.
    That's how I've understood it, and if its not that way it is, I'd be severely (more) disappointed in the insurance system.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    That's how I've understood it, and if its not that way it is, I'd be severely (more) disappointed in the insurance system.
    +1. I would hope they would take that into account, just as they do not having headlights on when needed, or blown headlights, or being on the cell phone, etc.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    So is it true that in an accident if you are rear ended and have smoked or darkness-modified taillights you would be at fault?
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It is true. There have been documented cases.
    this^

I wasn't saying it just to be an ass. As Zach said, there have been many documented cases of that happening.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    this^

I wasn't saying it just to be an ass. As Zach said, there have been many documented cases of that happening.
    DISCLAIMER! I have not seen this in the case of a Subaru with 30-40% tint. The only documented cases I've explicitly found have been slammed Hondas with 5% tint on the tail lights. From personal experience in the area, given the way some of these guys drive, I wouldn't be surprised if their driving was somewhat the cause of the accidents. Still, I would not tempt fate. It is illegal.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm going to talk to my uncle, a state police officer, and my insurance agent. I'm sure between the two of them, they could come up with an instance where tinted lights caused an accident, and who would be at fault.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I'm going to talk to my uncle, a state police officer, and my insurance agent. I'm sure between the two of them, they could come up with an instance where tinted lights caused an accident, and who would be at fault.
    Whether or not the tinted tail lights actually caused the accident is irrelevant. It's difficult to prove that the driver of the following car was not paying any attention, but quite simple to prove that the driver of the leading car tinted his tail lights. Even if the lights are not the cause, fault can still be ruled in favor of the following car and against the leading car in a rear-end incident.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Whether or not the tinted tail lights actually caused the accident is irrelevant. It's difficult to prove that the driver of the following car was not paying any attention, but quite simple to prove that the driver of the leading car tinted his tail lights. Even if the lights are not the cause, fault can still be ruled in favor of the following car and against the leading car in a rear-end incident.
    I know, but I'm trying to lend credibility to your statement that "There have been documented cases" of this happening. I'm sure it has, but I have a feeling none of these guys will be convinced it's a real danger until they see the aftermath...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Right, this alone should be more than enough reason to dissuade anyone from tinting their taillights. It doesn't matter if you think your brake lights are visible or not, if someone hits you they basically have a solid scapegoat to get out of any fault, in turn making the accident your fault in the eyes of the insurance company whether it was or not.

Spray on night shades from advanced works well and you can use as many coats as you want to adjust the darkness. Just remember lighter is better than to dark. If you go this route I would recommend getting brighter bulbs just to be safe. My taillights are pretty dark but with the brighter bulbs you know when Im stopping.
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

I Support ClubWRX
    This morning, in my WRX, a distracted driver nearly rear-ended me at a stop sign. Increase the odds of him missing my tail lights by darkening the plastic? Not a choice I would make, however awesome it looks to others. I've been in some nasty accidents in my life. I'll take whatever steps I can to avoid them in the future.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I've had numerous near-misses with folks that have tinted tails. Most recent was a couple months ago by this retarded HS chick driving like an asshat in a Scion TC. Had an intermediately smoked tail setup so it wasn't that dark...but I couldn't see the lights when she stepped on the brakes! On top of that, her 3rd brake light also was out!!!

While yes, I do actually like the look of smoked out tails, it is not something at this point that I would do, or support simply cause of the safety aspect.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I've had numerous near-misses with folks that have tinted tails. Most recent was a couple months ago by this retarded HS chick driving like an asshat in a Scion TC. Had an intermediately smoked tail setup so it wasn't that dark...but I couldn't see the lights when she stepped on the brakes! On top of that, her 3rd brake light also was out!!!

While yes, I do actually like the look of smoked out tails, it is not something at this point that I would do, or support simply cause of the safety aspect.
    And we all know that you support safe wrecks.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast