Getting tint! Question about nys tint laws.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Getting tint! Question about nys tint laws. within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; according to New York Window Tint Law - TC Window Tint I can only "legally" have 30% tint on the ...

Getting tint! Question about nys tint laws.

according to New York Window Tint Law - TC Window Tint I can only "legally" have 30% tint on the front and rear door windows on a "sedan" however a "suv or van" can get any % on the rear windows. Anyone from NY have more then 30% and not been bothered. If im stuck getting 30% then I will get 30% on the front windows and rear passenger windows and 20% on the trunk and windshield strip. Ide like to go darker but don't want to run into trouble with the law!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    30% is about right. I have 20% & I'm thinking of getting mine redone.I'm sure to get a ticket for it sooner or later. Heck,they even check tint at checkpoints in the burbs now.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Go the legal route and get 30 all around. Anything darker makes it hard to see out the rear window and windows at night.

Quote Originally Posted by christiangordon View Post
    Go the legal route and get 30 all around. Anything darker makes it hard to see out the rear window and windows at night.

Yeah I will have to do this better safe then sorry

I Support ClubWRX
    Who are you looking to tint the car? Josh (you're local, he does most of the tint in the area)?

If you're not looking to get stopped, leave the front windows alone. The law states that 70% of light must be let in on all four windows (the percentage of tint is how much light it lets in); that means, essentially, no aftermarket tint. As a general rule, LEO won't bother you for tint on the rear windows, as long as the front two aren't touched.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-10-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Got see the eye Doc and get a prescription!! It last for two years, Tell them that the sun and the heat plus the glare off the snow bothers your vision. I have mine for 25% love it. This is a stupid law here in MN as well but there are ways around it still. One of the better mods that I did so far. *** at least check it out***************D
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

Getting it done by tint wizard in saratoga springs upstate ny!

Wish I knew an eye doctor that would do that haha!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by killianwrx View Post
    Getting it done by tint wizard in saratoga springs upstate ny!

Wish I knew an eye doctor that would do that haha!
    Reconsider. You can save some money and get a solid job done going through Josh (he's in the GF/LG area).

Click the UNYSOC link in my signature and join up. Saratoga / Ballston Spa membership is on the rise...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Reconsider. You can save some money and get a solid job done going through Josh (he's in the GF/LG area).

Click the UNYSOC link in my signature and join up. Saratoga / Ballston Spa membership is on the rise...
    Thanks man I will check those out. Ide say I could bail on Tint wizard but they did a good job my last car and are doing it on a saturday, i appreciate the look out. I will join unysoc.org tho

Well got it done today it looks great! Although I have one concern! The front windshield tint to me doesn't seem to be sticking to the area where the dots are on our windshields under the mirror. They seem to think it will dry out in a couple days! I dont know tho lol.

That is called matrix and no tint doesn't stick well in matrix areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Deciphe View Post
    That is called matrix and no tint doesn't stick well in matrix areas.
    what a drag i suppose if it still looks like crap in a few days ill take it off

Re: Getting tint! Question about nys tint laws.

I'm from Long Island.. I did 20% on the front windows and windshield visor strip 2 inches below the asi line, and 5% on all the back windows. That's what I've done on all my cars, and have never been bothered for the tint.

Quote Originally Posted by killianwrx View Post
    what a drag i suppose if it still looks like crap in a few days ill take it off
    Rub the matrix with your thumb and push down the film. The dots are raised and the film sits on top of the dots and doesn't touch the windows. After the film drys you should be able to push the adhesive on the film between the dots and it should stick. This works better on some films than others but it should help a lot.

Good luck
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-21-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescox View Post
    Rub the matrix with your thumb and push down the film. The dots are raised and the film sits on top of the dots and doesn't touch the windows. After the film drys you should be able to push the adhesive on the film between the dots and it should stick. This works better on some films than others but it should help a lot.

Good luck
    Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately you have to have vendor status to run links like that. If you are interested please contact justin@clubwrx.net
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.