Black headlights..NO MORE CHROME
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Black headlights..NO MORE CHROME within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have hated the chrome headlights on my 12 since I got it..I just hate chrome period. I finally ...

Banned

Black headlights..NO MORE CHROME

So I have hated the chrome headlights on my 12 since I got it..I just hate chrome period. I finally cracked them open tonight..Now I remember why i hate doing this. My finger tips hurt like hell. Ran out of paint to gotta put last coat on tomorrow. Have to say WTF is up with the bumper..nothing but push pins and took like 4min to remove. But the headlights are held on with 5 bolts
    Progress so far

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Looken good
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

i wonder what they would look like with a coat of clear on them

Banned
    ehhh. dont think i want them to be glossy. last coat is going to be a satin black.

I Support ClubWRX
    wish i had the patience and know how to do this. mad jelly.

looks great though!
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Yeah I thought the chrome headlights were a mistake for the 2012s...but obviously fixable. Looking good.

I think all Subaru bumpers are like that...it's held on with a mix of clips and pop rivets. I know my 05 is.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Banned
    dont get me wrong I liked the fact it took no effort and had bumper off in like 4min but kinda confused as why the bumper isnt held on by much yet the headlights are held on with 5 bolts..LOL
    I was contemplating putting a small halo ring of blue around the projector to match my blue pinstripe mod on my grill.

If the headlights weren't solidly mounted they'd never hold an aim correctly. As for the bumper cover its just cosmetic so there's only enough to keep it from falling off the car at speed.

Personally I joke a lot that new cars are like snap together model kits... and they are, but it makes manufacturing cheaper too. Better for us and them I guess.

Lookin good on the bezels though, I shot mine with a gloss paint but after assembled its really hard to tell. Believe it or not its actually a blessing in disguise that you had to wait to re-assemble. I was in a rush and put mine back together same night I shot them (paint was dry to touch) .. and as they off-gassed it clouded the lenses. Now I have to pull my car and lights apart again to clean the lenses. .. live and learn I guess.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    clouded lens as just in condensation? or something else..if just condensation I would say take off the headlights..toss them in a large box with a bunch of rice over night with all the bulbs removed so air can travel around and should take away all the moisture.

nah its not condensation.. its off-gassing solvent from the paint curing. It leaves a haze inside the lense that never goes away. And it wont until I actually pull them apart and wipe it off.

This was immediately after re-assembly. Nice n clear.

This was after re-assembling the car the next day

See the haze on the lens? Condensation will go away with the lights on for a while, this never goes away and has a bluish color tone.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    that sucks. I did this to my old truck and I put it back together like 45min after paint and it never did that to me. Wonder if it was the type of paint used..i used Krylon Fusion last time

Shawn, I don't see any haze...the assembled pics look more clear
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

there's haze.. it got more developed after I shot those pics. I used a duplicolor plastic specific paint. I'm thinking it likely had more solvent/additives in it than a satin or flat paint would have. Oh well, it looked fantastic when clear so next time I'm motivated I'll pull it apart and clean it up.

Still have to get to painting the GF's 07 headlights.. She's fed up with the chrome look too.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-17-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    well put all back together tonight..Now where the bumper meets the fender it doesnt seem to be as tight of a gap. I guess cause the stupid plastic clips stretch a bit when popping it off. Kinda erks me as i am kinda a perfectionist with my cars.

Banned
    here is the finished product.
    Before

After

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast