2011 WRX side vent LED turn signal mod.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX side vent LED turn signal mod. within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think this will get more exposure here and I will be fallowing up with a DIY soon for anyone ...

2011 WRX side vent LED turn signal mod.

I think this will get more exposure here and I will be fallowing up with a DIY soon for anyone interested.

So I have always wanted the STI side mirrors because of the side marker and turn signal that is built into them but I did feel like spending the money on them. This is my solution to that. Total cost was under $30 ($28 ish). Install took me about 2 hours because I took my time to make it as clean as possible. It looks like there might be some burnt out LEDs on the driver side but they are not, they are just being blocked by the plastic grille. I cut out the smaller grille pieces so the LEDs were not blocked but I did not cut the big grille pieces.

Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the red wire going into the turn signal bulb if you want the LED strip to illuminate only when the turn signal is on. Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the green wire if you want the LED strip to turn on and stay on when ever your parking nights are on and then flash when the turn signal is turned on. Connect the negative wire from the LED strip to the black wire going into the turn signal.

The battery must be removed or unmounted from the tie down to do the driver side and the air box must be removed to do the passenger side. Other then that its pretty straight forward, just run the wires where ever they need to go in order to get them to the turn signals. I covered my wires with tech flex and heat shrink tubing.

This is how I fished the wires thru the fenders.
    Last edited by Hoofhearted; 06-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    2011 Base WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Interesting!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

THAT. Is. Seriously. Awesome.

Wow.

Kudos.

I'm all about the little subtle changes that really set a car apart from the rest of the cookie-cutters. Wouldn't be too hard I guess then, too, to make a strip of slightly dimmer red ones and wire to the fog lights... Hmmm...
    Last edited by etnpnys; 06-01-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

That's a very cool idea and surprised I haven't seen it before!
    I'd love a detailed DIY instructions on how you did it

Looks pretty clean, I like it. Nice DIY
    11 SWP LMTD Hatch SPT Exhaust, Kartboy STS w/ Bushings, 30% Tint, Red tails, Stage 1 TP Tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Im working on something like that but i got the two color led so white driving lights and then amber for a turn signal. I was also toying with the two color led strips in the hood scoop and have it all white but then half amber when turning but might be considered a little "ricy" (also I would want a larger intercooler instead of the stock one)
    Last edited by cflip2x; 06-01-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Is it wrong that I've never even noticed I have turn signals in my mirrors?

Nice DIY and instructions!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

That's a great looking and functional mod ... I like it. My only question ... is that actually a functional vent for the engine bay? I was told it was, but couldn't figure it out by looking at your picture with the piece/vent off the car.

If it's not ... I may think about doing that for the safety aspect. I too like the STI side mirror for that reason.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    My only question ... is that actually a functional vent for the engine bay? I was told it was, but couldn't figure it out by looking at your picture with the piece/vent off the car.
    From this picture it doesn't look like it really does much real ventilating...

I vaguely recall that those side vents are functional for the STI, but cosmetic for the WRX. I will have to confirm that later though (I just remember seeing it in another thread..)
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dramlin View Post
    I vaguely recall that those side vents are functional for the STI, but cosmetic for the WRX. I will have to confirm that later though (I just remember seeing it in another thread..)
    Yeah, the dealer told me that it was a functional vent ... not sure if those two cut outs (one big and one small) pipe out tons of heat or not
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

That looks really easy!!!! I want ti do it now... I wonder how it will look on darker cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just from looking at it, I doubt those vents serve any real performance purpose on the WRX. you'd have to take them off on the STI and see what it looks like. If it looks the same then it's probably just cosmetic.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Really want to do this. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    Really want to do this. Looks great!
    Thanks!

Tapatalk 2
    2011 Base WRX

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast