2011 WRX side vent LED turn signal mod. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX side vent LED turn signal mod. within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Great job! You've inspired me...

Great job! You've inspired me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The fender gaps for the STI are the same as the WRX. the part number is identical.
    If at first you don't succeed, go into boost. If you cant go into boost... no panties will be harmed. much less be sent to the rear seats.

All else fails... put a disco roof in your car. E.v.e.r.y.o.n.e. loves going into a car to dance. Or... strobe them unconcious.

Looks great !
    Were did you get the LED's from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowlem View Post
    Looks great !
    Were did you get the LED's from ?
    Auto zone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Base WRX

Happy thread resurrecting!

"Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the green wire if you want the LED strip to turn on and stay on when ever your parking nights are on and then flash when the turn signal is turned on. Connect the negative wire from the LED strip to the black wire going into the turn signal."

Just got my LEDs for Christmas so lemme see if I understand...

I turn on the headlights. These come on, right?
    With the headlights on and these lights on, I turn on the turn signal and that side blinks, right?
    Turn the headlights off and turn the turn signal on, these blink - right?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    The vents on the side are a mystery. Some cars have those flaps that block the vents.... some don't. Even within the model year it seems to change. Mine didn't. Other 11 STi's over on iwsti did.

They look nice though, I like 'em at least. Always a fan of making turn signals more visible (as opposed to less with tinting). Of course, those would block my speed holes that I added behind that vent... they give me 20hp. Duh.

EDIT: I missed the thread from teh dead part... For what it is worth though, adding those holes actually does create an airflow in that direction. I can put some cash on this after pulling out about a gallon buckets worth of dried up leaves from behind the fender well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2011 WRX side vent LED turn signal mod.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Happy thread resurrecting!

"Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the green wire if you want the LED strip to turn on and stay on when ever your parking nights are on and then flash when the turn signal is turned on. Connect the negative wire from the LED strip to the black wire going into the turn signal."

Just got my LEDs for Christmas so lemme see if I understand...

I turn on the headlights. These come on, right?
    With the headlights on and these lights on, I turn on the turn signal and that side blinks, right?
    Turn the headlights off and turn the turn signal on, these blink - right?
    If you hook the positive wire of the LED to the green wire yes they will come on with the parking lights.

When you turn off the parking lights they should come on with your turn signals.
    2011 Base WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    If you hook the positive wire of the LED to the green wire yes they will come on with the parking lights.

When you turn off the parking lights they should come on with your turn signals.
    Thanx - what about them blinking when the parking lights are also on? Will they do that also with the green wire?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Thanx - what about them blinking when the parking lights are also on? Will they do that also with the green wire?
    Yes they will blink but I think it will be alternating. So when the parking light is blinking off the LEDs will be on and vice versa.
    2011 Base WRX

Yes they will blink but I think it will be alternating. So when the parking light is blinking off the LEDs will be on and vice versa.
    That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! Thank you for all your help! I may just be attacking this on my 4-day weekend right now

Ok I have them physically installed but not hooked up yet. I ran out of time and I'll do that part later. For now, I used the battery that came with them to take a few pictures.

Now, my car doesn't have the vent blocking thing. I also didn't put the LEDs right up at the grill - I wanted more of a "glow" so I installed them back a little bit to let the light fill up the vent a little bit more smoothly. To do that, I had to shave off some little nubs that reinforce the spacers on the plastic using a razor blade. No big deal; I hope that makes sense. AND, if the vent is functional at all, I'm not blocking anything this way either! I just used the 3M tape that came with them and I added a little bit of LokTite silicone stuff to keep it in place just in case.

Ok I have them physically installed but not hooked up yet. I ran out of time and I'll do that part later. For now, I used the battery that came with them to take a few pictures.

Now, my car doesn't have the vent blocking thing. I also didn't put the LEDs right up at the grill - I wanted more of a "glow" so I installed them back a little bit to let the light fill up the vent a little bit more smoothly.
    Very nice! Not sure if that is a functional vent on my STi but it sounds like you solved that problem in any case. I might be checking this out when the weather gets nicer.

Nice garage.
    2011 Base WRX

Nice garage.
    lol Thanx

I Support ClubWRX
    thats awesome, nice job
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.