Roof Racks

This is a discussion on Roof Racks within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking to buy a rack system and wanted to get some opinions. I'm leaning towards the oem system for the ...

I Support ClubWRX

Roof Racks

Looking to buy a rack system and wanted to get some opinions. I'm leaning towards the oem system for the aero bar ( are these the same as whispbar's? ). I know this might sound stupid but I like the silver color for the bars themselves since my WRX is silver. I've found some online pricing for 155$ for the oem system and the yakima whispbar system is almost double that, but they sure do look similar. We've always used Thule before but I like the integrated feet on the oem system a lot. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had good luck with Yakima in the past. It helps that they're locally-based, so getting any extra parts is super quick. I've been very satisfied with them, although I can't compare them to Thule, as I haven't tried them.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I went with Yakima. Not cheap, but I like it.

I went with the OEM bars for the price. They're really nice and it's easy to find attachments for whatever you want to put on them.

I have Thule kayak holders on it and the Inno med. fairing.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for the replies back. Rambo & Naked Dave, those Yakimas sure look bad ass. I do like the whispbar/aero bars. The oem bars don't extend past the feet and I'm not too sure how much I'd want/need the extra width ( until I do need it lol ). I believe the Yakimas aero bars can extend past. xFalleNx, I've never heard of Inno's before until just recently and they look really nice too. I think I'm leaning towards the OEM's w/ Yakima bike trays. xFalleNx, I'm just going to guess a kayak would test the strength of the rack more than my bike would so that's comforting. Damn, now I scroll up and look at the close ups of Naked Daves rack and that system looks SOLID.

naked_dave which bike carrier is that? Raptor?

Also, on Yakima's site it says the cross bars do not come with the end caps. Is that true? Seems like something odd to just leave out. Wondering how much I'll have to pay just for the end caps.

EDIT: also how many inches are your crossbars? 48"?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I order the right stuff - your set up looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    naked_dave which bike carrier is that? Raptor?

Also, on Yakima's site it says the cross bars do not come with the end caps. Is that true? Seems like something odd to just leave out. Wondering how much I'll have to pay just for the end caps.

EDIT: also how many inches are your crossbars? 48"?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I order the right stuff - your set up looks awesome.

Here is what I got:

And the end caps came with one of the boxes I got, not sure if it was specifically in with the bars...
    You can find almost all of these parts at a local Yakima dealer, got mine at a local bicycle shop.

Perfect, thanks man.

What about wind noise. The fairing eliminates it?

Perfect, thanks man.

Anytime.
    The fairing doesn't eliminate the noise, but is supposed to help reduce it. Yes the rack does add some noise but it's not enough to bother me when I have the sunroof or windows open.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just FYI you can get better prices on Amazon.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Perfect, thanks man.

The new style fairing looks a bit more sleek but if you can find an old school one on craigslist (my avatar pic) that would reduce wind noise a WHOLE lot.
    I upgraded and then went back after hearing the difference.
    When in doubt, frag out.

Stock cross bars mount up much cleaner than any aftermarket system I've seen. I'm using stock bars with a Yakima ski rack in the winter, and plan on picking up a Rocky Mounts bike mount in the next few weeks (local).

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Stock cross bars mount up much cleaner than any aftermarket system I've seen. I'm using stock bars with a Yakima ski rack in the winter, and plan on picking up a Rocky Mounts bike mount in the next few weeks (local).
    how did you mount the yakima stuff to stock bars. PICS PLEASE!!!!!!!