Got bored, started plasti-dippin
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got bored, started plasti-dippin within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So yesterday I plasti-dipped my back emblems as well as that little hood scoop trim piece (dont know the exact ...

Got bored, started plasti-dippin

So yesterday I plasti-dipped my back emblems as well as that little hood scoop trim piece (dont know the exact name). My roof and side mirrors were already wrapped in matte black. Let me know what you guys think! My next endeavor will be to plasti-dip the induction cowls that are in front of the front tires. Does anyone know how to remove these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120519_164152.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	105081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120519_162939.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	105082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120519_162605.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	105083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120519_145009.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	105080
    2011 WRX Premium Sedan Spark Silver - SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP Stage 1, Cobb intake and box

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was actually thinking about doing the same exact thing. Did you take that part of the hood scoop out or did you just mask it off? Lol, better question is, can it even be taken off? It looks awesome though, I like the look.

I took it off. It was actually very easy! here is the link that I used. DIY hood scoop insert removal and scoop wrap.

I washed my car again today and it is holding up very well.
    2011 WRX Premium Sedan Spark Silver - SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP Stage 1, Cobb intake and box

That's awesome! Great job btw. I have a friend that paints cars so I was thinking about getting this permanently done if I liked the plasti dip. I have a WRB and I'm not sure if I'd want a glossed finish on it or not, flat black might just look better.

Yeah they flat black looks really nice on our cars as an accent piece. You could do plasti dip and if you don't like it just peel it off. That's the best part about this stuff! I could see gloss looking real nice on WRB though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

i really want to do the scoop also, I tried 'photoshopping' it before, not a great job and i really wanna see it in person to get a better idea (plasti-dip would be the best idea I suppose)

Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I was really happy with how it turned out. It is really clean.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    i really want to do the scoop also, I tried 'photoshopping' it before, not a great job and i really wanna see it in person to get a better idea (plasti-dip would be the best idea I suppose)

What were you thinking about doing with the scoop, flat black or glossy? Whatever you end up doing, post pics, I really want to do the same thing, leaning towards a glossy look.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mand2240 View Post
    So yesterday I plasti-dipped my back emblems as well as that little hood scoop trim piece (dont know the exact name). My roof and side mirrors were already wrapped in matte black. Let me know what you guys think! My next endeavor will be to plasti-dip the induction cowls that are in front of the front tires. Does anyone know how to remove these?
    Nice work, that turned out great! I was about to point you to Stu_Gotti for how to remove the cowls, but I saw your post on his thread already.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Ooo I want to do this! How do I go about it? Myself or vendor? Never heard of this technique. I have WRB car as well think I'd go flat black on scoop.
    2010 WRB WRX

wow.. that looks really good. I'll have to admit at the title I was worried.. but damn man nice work. Now ya just need to hit the bottom of the grill to tie it in
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by boone1186 View Post
    Ooo I want to do this! How do I go about it? Myself or vendor? Never heard of this technique. I have WRB car as well think I'd go flat black on scoop.
    First step: Go to local hardware store and buy some plasti-dip lol

Step 2: follow this dudes instructions on how to remove the piece from the car. DIY hood scoop insert removal and scoop wrap.

Step 3: Apply plasti-dip to the piece. One coat roughly every 20-30 minutes. (I did a total of 4)

Step 4: Let dry in a dry place that is out of direct sunlight and has little to no wind for a couple hours

Step 5: Re-apply part and put the heat shield back on

Step 6: Go to an empty parking lot and take some pics while feeling accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    wow.. that looks really good. I'll have to admit at the title I was worried.. but damn man nice work. Now ya just need to hit the bottom of the grill to tie it in
    Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. I was ready to get flammed pretty hard but so far everyone has liked it. As long as I like it though is what makes it worth while. But you are right, now I look at the car and Im like "damn, how would that piece look if I were to make it black?" haha. My next course of action is to do the little induction pieces in front of the wheels. Then I will do the bottom of the bumper like your saying. It gives it a nice clean look.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post

Are those bugeye stockers? That's kicking it old school!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure how I feel about this just yet...I have seen one car locally (SWP '11 sedan) that did this....it was kind of distracting when driving in the opposite direction.....a big gaping black hole on an otherwise white car. Though, it does also look kind of menacing.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.