HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; We need these factual threads. It is too bad those who do not do the proper research spoil them. Originally ...

I Support ClubWRX
    We need these factual threads. It is too bad those who do not do the proper research spoil them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Oh yeah?!

Well, your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!!

(waits for the thread lock)
    I fart in your general direction!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by commbubba19 View Post
    i get blinded by factory HID's all the time. Not arguing the above, just saying that factory HID's still blind oncoming traffic.
    I will say I have never heard of this before.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Well, your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!!

(waits for the thread lock)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I fart in your general direction!
    now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

IWD
    It's a parabolic reflector focusing light forward to a shield that filters out glare then hits the lens which disperses the light accordingly.

Your incorrect and apparently don't understand how things operate and like to spread misinformation.

I added a couple of pictures of the cut off and you can clearly see the beam is unaltered yet made by xenon technology
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20121126_205930.jpg   20121126_205909.jpg  

IWD
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I will say I have never heard of this before.
    I live in the mountains right now and factory hid blinds the... Out of me! Whenever the light hits your eyes its nearly impossible to see.

But I never get glare off any projector that is aimed correctly. Not mine nor other.

It's the reflector that blinds people cause it's designed around how a halogen makes its light. Which is brightest in the middle versus no dullest in the middle.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^lolwut?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX

Re: HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by IWD View Post
    I live in the mountains right now and factory hid blinds the... Out of me! Whenever the light hits your eyes its nearly impossible to see.

But I never get glare off any projector that is aimed correctly. Not mine nor other.

It's the reflector that blinds people cause it's designed around how a halogen makes its light. Which is brightest in the middle versus no dullest in the middle.
    So if I understood this, OEM HID projectors were made for halogens? And are not aimed properly?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

IWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    ^^lolwut?
    Reflector halogen lights will cause severe glare with hid bulbs

Projector with shield will prevent glare no matter the light source

IWD
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    So if I understood this, OEM HID projectors were made for halogens? And are not aimed properly?
    Oem hid is designed for xenon. And their usually projectors and will spread the beam wider and longer to take advantage of higher light output

I meant that when you're on a windy up and down road the lights get in your eye.

But as long as they're aimed properly, halogen or xenon in any projector that is shielded won't glare... The shield in front of the lens insures this

Sorry, cell phone keyboard...
    Last edited by IWD; 11-26-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Re: HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX

My head hurts after reading this thread... :banghead: People that throw HIDs in their cars with halogen projectors definitely do blind you. Ive been a victim.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

IWD
    Quote Originally Posted by squiRe2001 View Post
    My head hurts after reading this thread... :banghead: People that throw HIDs in their cars with halogen projectors definitely do blind you. Ive been a victim.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    Dude... Look at the pictures I posted. The beams are identical. One is brighter. But neither glare.

Those people's lights were most likely not aimed properly due to load or operator error.

A lot of Oem hid systems do an auto level and correct for load and also clean the lights to prevent glare from debris

KHP
    Dude... Look at the pictures I posted. The beams are identical. One is brighter. But neither glare.

Those people's lights were most likely not aimed properly due to load or operator error.

A lot of Oem hid systems do an auto level and correct for load and also clean the lights to prevent glare from debris
    While you are somewhat correct that glare is reduced with HID's in halogen projectors compared to halogen reflector housing. The fact is your beam pattern is still incorrect (to be honest your cut off isn't that well defined either meaning that the focal length of your so called shield was never focused for your HID's). Proper projectors disperses the light evenly and does not create such a big hotspot towards the cut off. Yes it may give you an illusion that you can see further, but the issue is because the horizon is so bright that your eyes can't see much farther than where the light is shining(distance is still limited). Example is when when you're approaching a hill you'll have a harder time seeing further up the hill because your headlight beam shining at the bottom of the hill is blinding you(your light is so bright that it's overpowering your eyes to see further).

Good example is for you to go to a bright room for a few minutes then go to a dimmer room. Your eyes may take a minute or two to adjust and be able to see clearly.

Most people just look at the cut off as an end all solution, but sorry it's not.

Yes proper HID's projectors have auto/manual leveling, but sorry that's not the only difference, cutoff is not the only difference, The lens itself is different to properly focus a beam pattern. Please don't act smarter than engineers that actually get paid a butt load of money to make your headlights safe. The picture you just provided is a clear example of why you should not put HID's in Halogen Projectors!!!

Your incorrect and apparently don't understand how things operate and like to spread misinformation.
    Sorry, but I have to throw this back at you.
    Last edited by KHP; 11-27-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quick analogy to hopefully clear things up. You find yourself needing some glasses to see clearly. You have three options...

You could get all your books in larger print or buy a magnifying glass.

You can go to your local drug store and try on 85 pairs of $16 'reading glasses' till you find one that is close enough, or at least helps....then you convince yourself that you have that prescription, buy them and call it a day

You can go to a ophthalmologist who will measure every aspect of your eyeballs, inside and out, along with where the focal points of your eyes is located, how far apart your eyes are, etc. etc. etc. then get a custom set of eye glasses that exactly fits your face, your specific eyes and how they work.

Yes, if you put your eyes behind the cheaper 'good enough' lenses they will work, but not nearly as good as the tailor made per application lenses.

In this analogy, your eyes are the Xenon bulbs, halogen reflectors are the magnifying glass, halogen projectors are the dime store reading glasses, and HID projectors are the custom eye glasses.

The difference here is that as Xenon bulbs emit light rather than collect it like your eyes, you have to think about how they are focusing for everyone else but you!

If you put the Xenon bulbs in a normal reflector it is the same as putting it behind a magnifying glass....it blinds everyone else on the road.

If you put the Xenon bulbs in a halogen projector you are blinding fewer people but as it is not focused correctly, the cutoffs are fuzzy, and you are still blinding some. And chances are they are the oncoming drivers that are closest to you. (bad idea)

If you put the Xenon bulbs in an HID projector the light will be properly focused with a sharp cut-off, and you are only blinding the few people that are below the cut-off momentarily on a hilly winding road.
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 11-26-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

IWD
    Actually the wall is white which reflects more light towards the camera sensor. The ground is still significantly brighter.

I wasn't wrong as I said the beam would be the same shape and location but not be optimal

So thanks for proving that you don't even know what you're talking about.

Even though the cutoff is fuzzy it is no where near oncoming traffic drivers eyes.

Um actually these engineers you talk about... Do things like place the maf before the air gets heated and cooled... Put the worst designed downpipe I could imagine. And that's to name a few from one car... So off your high horse... And you can also add that brighter lights on your car allow you to adjust to oncoming lights faster. Which is why my dmv says use high beams when flash blinded to help see quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    While you are somewhat correct that glare is reduced with HID's in halogen projectors compared to halogen reflector housing. The fact is your beam pattern is still incorrect (to be honest your cut off isn't that well defined either meaning that the focal length of your so called shield was never focused for your HID's). Proper projectors disperses the light evenly and does not create such a big hotspot towards the cut off. Yes it may give you an illusion that you can see further, but the issue is because the horizon is so bright that your eyes can't see much farther than where the light is shining(distance is still limited). Example is when when you're approaching a hill you'll have a harder time seeing further up the hill because your headlight beam shining at the bottom of the hill is blinding you(your light is so bright that it's overpowering your eyes to see further).

Good example is for you to go to a bright room for a few minutes then go to a dimmer room. Your eyes may take a minute or two to adjust and be able to see clearly.

Most people just look at the cut off as an end all solution, but sorry it's not.

Yes proper HID's projectors have auto/manual leveling, but sorry that's not the only difference, cutoff is not the only difference, The lens itself is different to properly focus a beam pattern. Please don't act smarter than engineers that actually get paid a butt load of money to make your headlights safe. The picture you just provided is a clear example of why you should not put HID's in Halogen Projectors!!!

Sorry, but I have to throw this back at you.

KHP
    Actually the wall is white which reflects more light towards the camera sensor. The ground is still significantly brighter.

I wasn't wrong as I said the beam would be the same shape and location but not be optimal

So thanks for proving that you don't even know what you're talking about.

Even though the cutoff is fuzzy it is no where near oncoming traffic drivers eyes.
    Alright what did you use to measure the light? Your eyes? If so your argument is not valid. It's the same as measuring sound level with your ears. Low frequency sounds are perceived to be lower intensity than higher frequency sounds at the exact same level. Please we're not trying to belittle you in any way we're trying to provide you with actual data that is actual fact and if you listen you might learn something.

And please don't use the argument of worst design because have you made a car from a block of steel? I bet you not. I'm an engineer trying to help but people with closed ears will never learn.
    Last edited by KHP; 11-27-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast