HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That depends. A properly done retrofit with OEM projector components will be a significant improvement over the standard halogen headlights. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    That depends. A properly done retrofit with OEM projector components will be a significant improvement over the standard halogen headlights. Bear in mind that this isn't the case for all cars in general, just the WRX. There are some OEM halogen lights amongst other manufacturers that are far superior in terms of illumination to HID. I'm not sure about comparing the WRX OEM HID option to a true retrofit. I haven't seen any direct comparisons yet.

As for whether or not plug and play "HID kits" work legally in halogen projectors? The answer is still no. You can't escape the fact the bulb filaments between HID and halogen are different, and a projector focused to the objective length of the halogen filament will be skewed by an HID bulb. This is internal to the projector itself, and can't be fixed simply by tipping the lights down. Could you modify halogen projectors to properly focus an HID bulb? Probably, with enough time and effort, but a retrofit will all new components is likely a more time and cost-effective solution.
    Last edited by Rambo; 06-05-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Awesome thanks. Yeah i don't want to be that guy that blinds people as i drive around i just want to be able to see effectively. I think ill give it some time to see how the stock projectors are.

I hope this isn't off topic for this thread but I thought that the point of fog lights was to light up under the fog and keep it from reflecting back. Why is it that i can only use my fogs at the same time as my headlights?
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, that is the point of fog lights, but their wide, low beam compromises distance. Assuming a pitch black foggy environment, your fogs alone are not sufficient to light up ahead of you. Of course, high beams are the worst thing you could do in fog.

The fact is, if it's light enough out to not need headlights, you don't need the foglights on.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Oh ok thanks. I guess that is logical lol. I've never had fog lights before but I"ve seen just fogs on, on other cars, before and it confused me a bit why the WRX needed head lights to turn on the fog lights, didnt know how far the fogs went alone.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MY-WRX View Post
    ALL MBZ, BMW, AUDI, LEXUS and Porsche come with DRL ( Daytime Runing Lights ) which are LEDS. They also come High Intensity bulbs in there headlights. So I am really not doing anything different, my HIDS put out the perfect amount of light and it is not blinding for anyone other wise they would not allow them to be on factory cars or sell the kits aftermarket. As far as my LEDS are no brighter then any other DRL LEDS that come factory.
    You are doing things VERY differently. Those cars have systems designed by lighting engineers to work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09 View Post
    Awesome thanks. Yeah i don't want to be that guy that blinds people as i drive around i just want to be able to see effectively. I think ill give it some time to see how the stock projectors are.

I hope this isn't off topic for this thread but I thought that the point of fog lights was to light up under the fog and keep it from reflecting back. Why is it that i can only use my fogs at the same time as my headlights?
    Fog lights have basically become superfluous with current headlight technologies. They are really just a marketing gimmick for people that want them.

Personally whenever I have an oncoming car with modified headlights that blind people I put on my brights so they can see just how great their mod is. (disclaimer: I only do this when there isn't other traffic on the road it could endanger or on roads without a divider where there's a risk of the person hitting me head on because they can't see.)

It really pisses me off when people modify their headlights to add a bunch more light and don't care they're endangering other drivers by blinding them. OP I don't know for sure this is what you've done, but based on the picture you posted, it's exactly what it looks like.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You are doing things VERY differently. Those cars have systems designed by lighting engineers to work correctly.

Fog lights have basically become superfluous with current headlight technologies.
    That might be true for some cars, but certainly not for my bugeye. We get very heavy fog in our area, and many roads have no streetlamps. My fog lights have a very noticeable impact on visibility in these situations. That said, would I fly off the road if I didn't have them? Probably not, but the extra assurance is worth it to me. I wish my wife's Honda had fog lights. The low-beam halogen projectors on her car are marginal at best, although the reflector high beams are excellent.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

OP: those lights arent....

hey what's going on in here?...
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Where'd you get the LEDs for the fog lights?

IWD
    Wow guys... I can attest that putting any bulb into a shielded halogen projector doesn't bind anyone. The way the light is dispersed by the lens it's a different story but doing this on my gsxr the beam shape and location stays the same. And that link is not a projector.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: HIDS AND CUSTOMS FOG LIGHTS FOR 2012 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by IWD View Post
    Wow guys... I can attest that putting any bulb into a shielded halogen projector doesn't bind anyone. The way the light is dispersed by the lens it's a different story but doing this on my gsxr the beam shape and location stays the same. And that link is not a projector.
    Incorrect.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

i get blinded by factory HID's all the time. Not arguing the above, just saying that factory HID's still blind oncoming traffic.

This is one of those threads that should have stayed dead.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    This is one of those threads that should have stayed dead.
    Oh yeah?!

Well, your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!!

(waits for the thread lock)
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Oh yeah?!

Well, your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!!

(waits for the thread lock)
    yes
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    IBTL

2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast