Swapping 2009 WRX Fenders w/ 2011 WRX Fenders
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Swapping 2009 WRX Fenders w/ 2011 WRX Fenders within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hear the fronts are easy and the rears are a huge pain to swap out. I have a 2009 ...

Swapping 2009 WRX Fenders w/ 2011 WRX Fenders

I hear the fronts are easy and the rears are a huge pain to swap out.

I have a 2009 WRX Wagon, I just really like the look of those fenders although it will add weight.

How difficult is the back swap, or does it require fabrication of some kind.

Also, would just the fronts look like ****? I've seen a '04 WRX with front STI fenders and stock rear fenders and it looked mean.

Thoughts?
    Zak
    Stink Eye Mob #35
    '09 WRX Hatch
    COBB Accessport: TP Stage 1 Tune
    3" COBB Single Tip Catback, COBB Shortshifter, 1/2 Bilstein Lowering Springs, Perrin Strut, Whiteline Sways, 18x7.5 Enkei Ev05

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On the newer models that swap would look like crap if you didn't do both the front and rear. You need to consider it's not only swapping the fenders. Your wheels are now going to look funny because they're sunk down in the wheel wells. That can be fixed with spacers, but there's more cost and more wear on your suspension then since it's not designed to run the wheels that far outboard.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Zwalk View Post
    I hear the fronts are easy and the rears are a huge pain to swap out.

I have a 2009 WRX Wagon, I just really like the look of those fenders although it will add weight.

How difficult is the back swap, or does it require fabrication of some kind.

Also, would just the fronts look like ****? I've seen a '04 WRX with front STI fenders and stock rear fenders and it looked mean.

Thoughts?
    considering to do the rear you'd have to literally cut the entire rear quarter off the car and re-add the later piece.. as well as wheel well liners/gas filler neck/bumper/.. should I keep going? The rear is MAJOR surgery.

If you're that unhappy with your pre-11 wrx trade it in and get a later one. It would likely be cheaper than having all that work done.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Definitely not unhappy with my car, I wouldnt mind a different looking front end but I can just snag a new bumper eventually.

The wheel well problems would be fixed by rims I'm planning on getting some 18x8.5's

Love my car, just seeing what options were out there for my front end.
    Zak
    Stink Eye Mob #35
    '09 WRX Hatch
    COBB Accessport: TP Stage 1 Tune
    3" COBB Single Tip Catback, COBB Shortshifter, 1/2 Bilstein Lowering Springs, Perrin Strut, Whiteline Sways, 18x7.5 Enkei Ev05

There is a guy over on 3GWRX that ended up getting a STI front end conversion. His username is izzyidk? Its pretty cool, but I do have to agree with everyone else... its best to swap front and rear...

Quote Originally Posted by Zwalk View Post
    Definitely not unhappy with my car, I wouldnt mind a different looking front end but I can just snag a new bumper eventually.
    I will require a lot more than just a bumper. You are also looking at grille, fenders, fender liners and door sills and I'm sure there's more. Do a search because I know that someone has done it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    I will require a lot more than just a bumper. You are also looking at grille, fenders, fender liners and door sills and I'm sure there's more. Do a search because I know that someone has done it.
    He'd need the rear doors also.

Its definitely cheaper to sell the 09 and buy a brand new 11.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

avo has a front bumper for the 08-10 cars.. but its a jdm spec only and you'd have to look into having it imported/shipped... not sure if AVO usa would help with that or not. RalliTEK might be of some help.

AVO/Rallitek 08 WRX - Liberal body kit fitment - NASIOC

RalliTEK 2008 WRX
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

ive done the front end swap from my 08 to the 2011. i can tell u straight up nothing in the back is gna be perfect.

the front 2011 bumper will bolt right up no problem. as will the fenders. u need the air dams from the bumper sides, and the air dams from the lower fender cutouts. the oem grille from ur 09 WILL fit (for a time being) via 2 pushpop rivets on top of the bumper. there WILL be gaps because its curved as opposed to boxyish on the 2011. but if ur low on funds and will eventualy want the grille- do w/e u want. other ppl wont know until u show them the gap. its less than an inch if u really need to know. but the top will connect and line up just fine.

i highly recommend the inner fender wall splashguards or u'll be left with about an inch and a half gap for rain and snow to go up.

the biggest headache are the sideskirts. u need to purchase 2008sti or 2011 wrx/sti skirts... and u also need to shave some of the inside tabs on the ends.... also... the rear door areas (of the sideskirts) will need to be shaved/cut. i did this all by myself, and it was time consuming, plus u need to add some body filler or there will be a relative gap in the rear door corners.

if anyone wants pics- lmk. dkolo88@gmail.com

i tend not to post much about this on the forum because 1- the car isnt 100% finished, and 2- tons of ppl seem to not like ppl that do the swap, which i dont understand. but w/e lol

-daniel

and to clarify- the swap is finished, i just need to do sum minor touchups to the sideskirts, some rubbing issues over time, but mostly perfect. otherwise- the only other thing i didnt mention is that there are clips that hold the front bumper air dams in place, u only need one on each side, and they are like 2 bux a pop.

also- u can reuse the pop rivets from the non wide for the swap to save on expenses.

and finally- if u have foglights- this is kinda big- there is a bracket from the non-wide oem fog kit that will NOT fit the widebody bumper holder. u either need to be inventive with the old holder, or take it off completely and urethane it in... or.... JB weld it in... which is what i did rofl.

any q's- ask pl0x :P

Re: Swapping 2009 WRX Fenders w/ 2011 WRX Fenders

Pix of this?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXdan View Post
    ive done the front end swap from my 08 to the 2011. i can tell u straight up nothing in the back is gna be perfect.

the front 2011 bumper will bolt right up no problem. as will the fenders. u need the air dams from the bumper sides, and the air dams from the lower fender cutouts. the oem grille from ur 09 WILL fit (for a time being) via 2 pushpop rivets on top of the bumper. there WILL be gaps because its curved as opposed to boxyish on the 2011. but if ur low on funds and will eventualy want the grille- do w/e u want. other ppl wont know until u show them the gap. its less than an inch if u really need to know. but the top will connect and line up just fine.

i highly recommend the inner fender wall splashguards or u'll be left with about an inch and a half gap for rain and snow to go up.

the biggest headache are the sideskirts. u need to purchase 2008sti or 2011 wrx/sti skirts... and u also need to shave some of the inside tabs on the ends.... also... the rear door areas (of the sideskirts) will need to be shaved/cut. i did this all by myself, and it was time consuming, plus u need to add some body filler or there will be a relative gap in the rear door corners.

i tend not to post much about this on the forum because 1- the car isnt 100% finished, and 2- tons of ppl seem to not like ppl that do the swap, which i dont understand. but w/e lol

-daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXdan View Post

-daniel
    hi 08WRXdan, i have tons of questions for you! lol so lets start with your 2008 wrx hatchback front "grille". did you grab the 2011 wrx hatchback stock front grille (mesh with wrx and subaru emblem) and put it on your 2008 wrx? How did it fit?!?? this has been my question for every single day for 2 years now.. lol everyone says that the 2008 2009 2010 2011 grilles and rear hatch wing and rear trim piece should all fit right in. but no one has actually tried it...

so please confirm: "does the 2011 wrx hatchback stock front grille mesh fit the 2008 wrx hatchback? and second question,, "does the 2011 wrx hatchback rear sport STi wing fit on the 2008 wrx hatchback?

pleeease and THANK you! i been holding back on these 2 purchases til someone can prove it to me before i buy them lol. thanks bud! your help is appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are other ways to enhance the car. Without reading the prior posts It would take a decent amount of work to make it look "balanced". Front only would be fenders, liners front bumper but might look weird in my opinion
    you may want to read this just to get an idea.
    GR Sedan: First 2008 sedan full converted to a 2011 wide body,ETS gtx3576 rotated vband - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Shifter Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | OEM STI & Morimoto Mini H1 Quad HID Retrofit | XSB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake | CNT Catted Divorced Downpipe W/Titanium Wrap and Grimmspeed Heatshild | Grimmspeed Pink Radiator Shroud & Alternator Cover

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

I Support ClubWRX
    the 08-10 grill has a more "pointed" bottom vs the flat bottom of the 11-14. You can probably make your own if you take off your bumper and take it apart and see if you can just insert a universal grill mesh. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-X-48-UNIV...ZUGag1&vxp=mtr

a replica sport grill may be a good option http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-11-Imprez...NTY6K5&vxp=mtr

2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Shifter Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | OEM STI & Morimoto Mini H1 Quad HID Retrofit | XSB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake | CNT Catted Divorced Downpipe W/Titanium Wrap and Grimmspeed Heatshild | Grimmspeed Pink Radiator Shroud & Alternator Cover

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

wow good point bud! see thats exactly what i needes to know

so im best to go with the 2009 2010 mesh grille to fit my 2008.. good catch! thank you!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.