2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi From what I have read the Toshiba HIR 1 is the best replacement bulb for the 9005 OEM, is ...

2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade

Hi
    From what I have read the Toshiba HIR 1 is the best replacement bulb for the 9005 OEM, is that correct?
    I also read here that the H9 is a good replacement for the H11, is that correct?
    I realize both bulbs need to be slightly modified.
    What would be a good choice in brands for the H9?
    THX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You are correct on that you can modify the H9 bulb to fit the H11 socket. The light output is far better than the regular H9. All you have to do is file or cut the extra tab on the H9 bulb. I would also like to know about the Toshiba HIR 1 bulb though. Here's a link on the H11 to H9 conversion. Very helpful

H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC

What would be the best H9 bulb to get? I think I'm going to do this if its that easy and increases the light output that much

I Support ClubWRX
    Call Dan: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

He is a lighting geek and a good guy to deal with.

I have a set of the Toshiba HIR1s in my WRX from Dan.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Am I just blind or does he not have a number or email to be contacted at?

I Support ClubWRX
    He seems to be on a trip or moving.Should be available next week Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy21785 View Post
    You are correct on that you can modify the H9 bulb to fit the H11 socket. The light output is far better than the regular H9. All you have to do is file or cut the extra tab on the H9 bulb. I would also like to know about the Toshiba HIR 1 bulb though. Here's a link on the H11 to H9 conversion. Very helpful

H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC

Hi Andy
    The Toshiba HIR 1 info can be found here The Ultimate Bulb Lighting Thread: All You Ever Need to Know About Bulbs - NASIOC and the only thing I could add is the authentic HIR's have been made by Toshiba for the last few years until recently, and as of now only Philips makes them, however these new ones now being made are not as bright, and they have a slightly differnet technology. I think the end result on the new ones though is that they are the 2nd best DOT replacement for the 9005. The Toshiba can still be had at
    Toshiba HIR1 (9011) & Philips HIR2 (3rdGen) (9012) and Daniel Stern's website.
    Hope this helps and please check my info for accuracy.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jege41 View Post
    Hi
    From what I have read the Toshiba HIR 1 is the best replacement bulb for the 9005 OEM, is that correct?
    I also read here that the H9 is a good replacement for the H11, is that correct?
    I realize both bulbs need to be slightly modified.
    What would be a good choice in brands for the H9?
    THX
    I have H9's in place of my original low beam H11 bulbs in my 2010. You have to nip a tab off the inside of the connector on the bulb and trim the large tab about 2.5-3mm .. but its super easy and makes a huge difference. Search it on google and you'll find a few write ups on which tab to nip and most have pics. Also keep in mind doesn't need to be a subaru to be a good swap writeup As for brand I used standard sylvania replacement bulbs you can buy at autozone.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Hi.. I did not know that the larger tab needed to be cut as well, as none of the other posts mention that.

Jege thanks for the info debating if i should do them now

Quote Originally Posted by Andy21785 View Post
    Jege thanks for the info debating if i should do them now
    It is was pretty easy to cut out the tab using a Dremel tool
    I haven't installed them yet as I'm still waiting for the Toshiba HIR bulbs to arrive, so can't review yet.
    Crappy tire had the GE H9 for 7 $ each

Hi.. I did not know that the larger tab needed to be cut as well, as none of the other posts mention that.
    if you dont cut the tab they still fit.. but you cant turn them all the way to click into the correct position (connector straight up and down) .. so really you dont HAVE to cut it.. but to get them to fit right you should trim that little bit off. I used a pair of good sidecutters.

Drove home from Richmond to VB last night.. the H9's are fantastic.. I'm curious to see how well the IR bulbs work as I was researching that a while back and never got them due to low availability.
    Last edited by mangostick; 10-02-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    if you dont cut the tab they still fit.. but you cant turn them all the way to click into the correct position (connector straight up and down) .. so really you dont HAVE to cut it.. but to get them to fit right you should trim that little bit off. I used a pair of good sidecutters.

Drove home from Richmond to VB last night.. the H9's are fantastic.. I'm curious to see how well the IR bulbs work as I was researching that a while back and never got them due to low availability.

I'm glad that improves your night drivng.
    I will take you word on that the larger of the two tabs needs to be trimmed as well, however on no other posts does it mention that. Perhaps you didn't get a clean flush cut on the one that needs to be removed.
    I guess I will find out when my Toshiba HIR's arrive, as I will wait until then and install the H9's at the same time.
    Did you comapre the H11 to the H9 in a visual inspection, to see the design?

Good thread, I was actually just going to look into some better bulbs because the stock head lights are really weak at night.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I'm glad that improves your night drivng.
    I will take you word on that the larger of the two tabs needs to be trimmed as well, however on no other posts does it mention that. Perhaps you didn't get a clean flush cut on the one that needs to be removed.
    I guess I will find out when my Toshiba HIR's arrive, as I will wait until then and install the H9's at the same time.
    Did you comapre the H11 to the H9 in a visual inspection, to see the design?
    yeah if you look at them side by side you'll see where the tab needs to be trimmed. I noticed it funny that no one mentioned the tab trimming in any of the Subaru threads.. however in the Acura and Toyota threads they mention it. Also, Daniel Stern mentions the trim in his article on the subject as well. They fit and lined up perfect after I nipped em.. so.. *shrug* dunno man.

Before the trim they went in and turned snugly but didn't line up at a perfect straight up/down like the H11 does. The filament has to be in the same location as the original bulb otherwise you shed light into the reflector differently and can cause glare n whatnot. Projectors aren't very sensitive to this so its kinda trivial but I'm a bit ocd about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Good thread, I was actually just going to look into some better bulbs because the stock head lights are really weak at night.
    you'll be pleasantly surprised with the H9 change. I was skeptical until I did it.. and now I see no reason to switch to HID lamps or retrofit. I mean, they're not HID good.. but now good enough that I dont see a reason to waste that money for lighting when I could be spending it on suspension or other mods.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.