2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Aftermarket. PIAA / Hella are two popular choices. ^ this lol.. yeah I'm probably the last ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Aftermarket. PIAA / Hella are two popular choices.
    ^ this lol.. yeah I'm probably the last guy to ask about that since I've put aftermarket DRL lights in my original fog light locations (base car, no fogs just blockoffs) .. That said though, Rally Innovations makes a bumper mounted bar that you can mount some proper fog lights on. Its looks generate a love/hate reaction for most but I like it. If I see the need to run fogs at any point in time I'll go this route, buy some thinner hella's and use my factory wiring to power them.

https://www.rallyinnovations.com/pro...php?prod_id=60

granted this listing is for a 08-10 sti.. but the 11/12 wrx has same body shape as the earlier GR sti's. One thing I'd do with this bar though, is make a proper bracket to mount it to the factory license plate area. RI provides the bar with two tensioners at the top and that I'm not a big fan of.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    ^ this lol.. yeah I'm probably the last guy to ask about that since I've put aftermarket DRL lights in my original fog light locations (base car, no fogs just blockoffs) .. That said though, Rally Innovations makes a bumper mounted bar that you can mount some proper fog lights on. Its looks generate a love/hate reaction for most but I like it. If I see the need to run fogs at any point in time I'll go this route, buy some thinner hella's and use my factory wiring to power them.

https://www.rallyinnovations.com/pro...php?prod_id=60

granted this listing is for a 08-10 sti.. but the 11/12 wrx has same body shape as the earlier GR sti's. One thing I'd do with this bar though, is make a proper bracket to mount it to the factory license plate area. RI provides the bar with two tensioners at the top and that I'm not a big fan of.
    I guess I'll be one of those that doesn't like the fog light bar. I had an '09 Audi A4 and the fogs on that car were phenomenal! I'm bummed that Subaru put such pitiful lights in a car that is a performance hatch. I used Luminics JDM Yellow on the Audi and just might try them on the Subaru and see if it makes any difference.

Bringing this thread back from the dead!!! Wanted to update this thread a bit. I originally installed the H9s back in November of '11 and believe it or not, I'm still rockin' those same bulbs! I used the Sylvania brand and they've been fantastic. On a sour note, I am still also rockin' the stock foglights. Oh well.

Two sets since April 2011

You have good luck as I have replaced two H9 bulbs on the same side so far, however there pretty cheap.
    I had terrible luck with the HIR's

Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    Bringing this thread back from the dead!!! Wanted to update this thread a bit. I originally installed the H9s back in November of '11 and believe it or not, I'm still rockin' those same bulbs! I used the Sylvania brand and they've been fantastic. On a sour note, I am still also rockin' the stock foglights. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by jege41 View Post
    You have good luck as I have replaced two H9 bulbs on the same side so far, however there pretty cheap.
    I had terrible luck with the HIR's
    Guess I did have some good luck with the bulbs. I had wanted to post sooner but I was afraid I'd jinx myself and blow a bulb soon after. Guess we will see if that happens now.

I Support ClubWRX
    I still have my H9 bulbs from the install I did Fall of 2012, little over a year now on the H9's.

Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    Guess I did have some good luck with the bulbs. I had wanted to post sooner but I was afraid I'd jinx myself and blow a bulb soon after. Guess we will see if that happens now.
    Guess what? This morning I turned on my lights and noticed I had blown a bulb. Guess I did jinx myself. Oh well, the bulbs still lasted me 16 months. Guess I get to go and by some new bulbs tonight.

So I read through this thread and just want to confirm: The only thing I need to do with the H9's is trim the tab on the bulb itself. How about re-installing the light? Something about the tabs on the outside that hold the light in place?
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    So I read through this thread and just want to confirm: The only thing I need to do with the H9's is trim the tab on the bulb itself. How about re-installing the light? Something about the tabs on the outside that hold the light in place?
    Just trim the tab in the H9 bulb and install the same way you would for any H11.

I can try and post a few pics showing the tab that is trimmed. It was quite simple and only took me around 5 minutes to do with a dremel.

And are the results that noticeable? People on Nasioc made an observation that MY11-13 were not noticing that big of a difference from MY10 and older were. But then again someone pointed out that they may have been using older halogen bulbs so when you buy new they are always going to look brighter/better.

I'm lined up for 4 H9's on amazon right now.
    '14 SWP STI

I did a H9 conversion and the output is really good
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

And are the results that noticeable? People on Nasioc made an observation that MY11-13 were not noticing that big of a difference from MY10 and older were. But then again someone pointed out that they may have been using older halogen bulbs so when you buy new they are always going to look brighter/better.

I'm lined up for 4 H9's on amazon right now.
    I did the conversion on my MY13 with around 200 miles and the light output was noticeably better. Not HID bright, but brighter and retains the nice straight OEM cutoff. For around $15 a pair you can't really go wrong.

My '09 was noticeably better after the conversion. Highly recommended, but I'll still be moving to a full HID retrofit at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    My '09 was noticeably better after the conversion. Highly recommended, but I'll still be moving to a full HID retrofit at some point.
    Agreed. This should hold me over.

Thanks dudes
    '14 SWP STI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.