2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would love to improve the lighting for my car and those H9's seem to be getting fairly good reviews, ...

I would love to improve the lighting for my car and those H9's seem to be getting fairly good reviews, but are there any bulbs that are significantly brighter that don't require any cutting or modifying the oem setup like the H9's? I'm just wondering, because I am afraid that if I get the H9's and perform the required modifications, then will that potentially limit or affect my choices of other bulbs or lighting options if I decide to move away from the H9's??

Side note, what exactly are the model #'s or style of bulb used for the low beam and high beams for a 2011 WRX?? As in, how do I know if a bulb is of proper fitment if I go to a store to buy replacements or different bulbs?? Sorry, nooobie when it comes to bulbs :P thanks guys
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You dont alter the headlight assy for the h9 mod.. you alter the bulb itself. I can pop my factory bulbs back in right now if need be. The H9 change is pretty much the easiest way to improve the light output of the factory halogen headlamps. Next easiest (but expensive) is the complete bolt in retrofit from lightwerx. (aprox $330 shipped) ..

compared to $24 in bulbs and a few minutes with a exacto knife.. and the ability to run a factory bulb in a pinch if needed .. *shrug* .. Its a no-brainer man.

your factory low beam is a H11 and the highbeam afaik is a 9005. I might be off on the hb bulb though, haven't taken a close look at mine.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

ahhh i see, i apologize, i read the previous posts wrong, i thought that it was the module or headlight assembly you changed, but if its just the bulb then yeah that makes much more sense haha

Thanks for the model types, and if i may ask, where did you get your bulbs from? Can you buy them at any local hardware store or did you order them online? Also, sorry to sound like such a knob, but how can you tell, when looking at bulbs online, if they will fit your car or not? Will they specifically say somewhere "H11" or "9005" or do you tell some other way? oneee last thing, do you know what voltage our stock bulbs run?

Build Thread Beloww:

No apology needed I got mine at a local auto parts store but they're available online as well. The bulbs are designated by their type. Say if you google search "H9" or "9005" you'll see what I mean. They should also be labeled that way in your local parts houses too.

I do recommend getting two pair though, and the reason being is that the lifespan of the H9 is a bit shorter than the standard H11. As I mentioned in previous posts when you increase output lifespan will naturally decrease. I have a second pair on hand ready to go if I need them.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yeah true enough, what is the wattage of the stock units, both high and low beams? Is it possible to run a bulb with higher wattage or does that increase the risk of temp. increase and therefore melting and whatnot? What wattage did you get?

Build Thread Beloww:

This thread has inspired me to upgrade mine too. I bought them last night and will install as soon as I get my car back.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Yeah true enough, what is the wattage of the stock units, both high and low beams? Is it possible to run a bulb with higher wattage or does that increase the risk of temp. increase and therefore melting and whatnot? What wattage did you get?
    I got off the shelf bulbs.. nothing over wattage. Good reason too.. plastic headlight housings really dont take well to lots of heat. Overwattage=HOT.

factory H11 is 55 watts, aprox 1300 lumen (light output)
    off the shelf H9 is 65 watts, aprox 2100 lumen (a little less than double the output)

factory high beam is 65 watts. Honestly I see no reason to change these, they work pretty well. If you live way out (Newfoundland is pretty far out ) .. I'd suggest adding a proper driving light if you really need more output than the factory high beams. That way you can wire directly off the battery using relays and really have some serious increase in light.

That said, what are your goals for light output on the high side? Low beam the H9 is a nice improvement but for highs there really isn't much for the factory headlamp without going over wattage.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I absolutely love the fact that I can see at night now. My only gripe is the foglights. They are pathetic. Does anyone know of any easy upgrades to make them brighter. I'd even consider yellow bulbs as they definitely help in foggy driving. Thanks!

Yeah Newfoundland's way out there haha far away from everyone!

So going with the 65watt H9 is ok even though the stock H11 is 55? Is that because the high beam is 65 and therefore the housing can obviously take 65watt temp output?? Or do the H9 not increase in temp?

I find the highbeams to be fine, was just looking to upgrade the low beams for around town driving and whatnot, because lets be honest, it's not That often the high beams are even on unless I'm driving on the highway at night, which is extremely rare or
    On almost deserted or rarely travelled roads.

Build Thread Beloww:

the change in wattage only produces a 3-6*F change in temp. There's a thread on nasioc about it and during the test the temp change was minimal. An increase of 10Watts at same voltage also wont have a huge impact on wiring either. The H9's will play nice with your headlights

Mine have been in there for about two months now.. working perfect.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    the change in wattage only produces a 3-6*F change in temp. There's a thread on nasioc about it and during the test the temp change was minimal. An increase of 10Watts at same voltage also wont have a huge impact on wiring either. The H9's will play nice with your headlights

Mine have been in there for about two months now.. working perfect.
    Mango, do you have any fog light advice? Many thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT
    Mango, do you have any fog light advice? Many thanks!
    Aftermarket. PIAA / Hella are two popular choices.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    I absolutely love the fact that I can see at night now. My only gripe is the foglights. They are pathetic. Does anyone know of any easy upgrades to make them brighter. I'd even consider yellow bulbs as they definitely help in foggy driving. Thanks!
    Have you aimed your fog lights?

I aimed mine.Got some overlays & better bulbs & now they are good.Not great,just good.

Like EJ257 said you can get PIAAs & adapt the stock foglight housing to accomodate the.Then the fogs should be really good.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Have you aimed your fog lights?

I aimed mine.Got some overlays & better bulbs & now they are good.Not great,just good.

Like EJ257 said you can get PIAAs & adapt the stock foglight housing to accomodate the.Then the fogs should be really good.
    I honestly didn't think I'd need to aim them as it's a new car. Thanks though and I'll check out PIAA.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    I honestly didn't think I'd need to aim them as it's a new car. Thanks though and I'll check out PIAA.

2011 sti fog light - Height adjustable? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast