2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX HB Base halogen upgrade within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mangostick yeah if you look at them side by side you'll see where the tab needs to ...

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    yeah if you look at them side by side you'll see where the tab needs to be trimmed. I noticed it funny that no one mentioned the tab trimming in any of the Subaru threads.. however in the Acura and Toyota threads they mention it. Also, Daniel Stern mentions the trim in his article on the subject as well. They fit and lined up perfect after I nipped em.. so.. *shrug* dunno man.

Before the trim they went in and turned snugly but didn't line up at a perfect straight up/down like the H11 does. The filament has to be in the same location as the original bulb otherwise you shed light into the reflector differently and can cause glare n whatnot. Projectors aren't very sensitive to this so its kinda trivial but I'm a bit ocd about this stuff.

you'll be pleasantly surprised with the H9 change. I was skeptical until I did it.. and now I see no reason to switch to HID lamps or retrofit. I mean, they're not HID good.. but now good enough that I dont see a reason to waste that money for lighting when I could be spending it on suspension or other mods.
    I'm a believer!
    I'm glad that the mod worked, and any complaints from oncoming traffic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you'll be pleasantly surprised with the H9 change. I was skeptical until I did it.. and now I see no reason to switch to HID lamps or retrofit. I mean, they're not HID good.. but now good enough that I dont see a reason to waste that money for lighting when I could be spending it on suspension or other mods.
    Cool, I'm going to pick some up.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by jege41 View Post
    I'm a believer!
    I'm glad that the mod worked, and any complaints from oncoming traffic?
    None, pattern is exactly the same as with the factory H11 only a bit brighter.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I got some H9's today. The lady at Advance Auto tried to sell me some Ultra H11's that cost 50 or 60 bucks saying they are going to be brighter. I just need to file the tab off and put them in tomorrow.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

H11= 55w 1300lumens

H9= 65w 2100lumens

I dont see how a blue filter on a already dim bulb is going to make them brighter.. unless of course they're like other filtered bulbs that are WAY over wattage and melt harness/headlights.

Should have asked her if they would cover your headlights if those fancy bulbs melted a hole in them.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Well I picked up a pair of cheap H9 Sylvania bulbs from the local auto parts store and filed down the tab. It was really quite easy to do. Now I just have to wait for darkness to fall. Never have I ever been so impatient for the sun to set! Hoping this works out or I'm out a whole $25.41!!! Haha!

One this to take note of is that the H9 with burn out quicker than the OEM bulbs...like they burnt out in maybe 4-5 months (don't remember exact time frame)
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    One this to take note of is that the H9 with burn out quicker than the OEM bulbs...like they burnt out in maybe 4-5 months (don't remember exact time frame)
    This was your personal experience? Not sure I want to be doing this 3 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    This was your personal experience? Not sure I want to be doing this 3 times a year.
    Yes, I put them in earlier this year and both have been replaced back to OEM already. Don't know exactly when I put them in, id give it 6 months tops. I think they were Sylvania bulbs, if that matters
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Yes, I put them in earlier this year and both have been replaced back to OEM already. Don't know exactly when I put them in, id give it 6 months tops. I think they were Sylvania bulbs, if that matters
    Darn! I was really hoping these would last longer than the stock bulbs. Once these burn out I'll try finding a long life bulb to replace them with. It was easy enough to do and they really are brighter than my H11's.

Quote Originally Posted by N8INCHATT View Post
    Darn! I was really hoping these would last longer than the stock bulbs. Once these burn out I'll try finding a long life bulb to replace them with. It was easy enough to do and they really are brighter than my H11's.
    Higher output means shorter life. NO way around that for halogen light sources. Wish I could say there was but its just the way it goes. Have to go HID for bright AND long life.

That known though, just keep a second set ready to go. I have a second set here awaiting a need, once those are in place I'll buy another set. At $23 twice a year or so,its a minor cost offset vs the increase in light output.

It'll take years to amount to the very reasonable cost of Lightwerx (sp?) $380 complete retrofit kit for our cars. I'd like to go HID, but that money right now I need for other things and the H9's are a great improvement over stock.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Higher output means shorter life. NO way around that for halogen light sources. Wish I could say there was but its just the way it goes. Have to go HID for bright AND long life.

That known though, just keep a second set ready to go. I have a second set here awaiting a need, once those are in place I'll buy another set. At $23 twice a year or so,its a minor cost offset vs the increase in light output.

It'll take years to amount to the very reasonable cost of Lightwerx (sp?) $380 complete retrofit kit for our cars. I'd like to go HID, but that money right now I need for other things and the H9's are a great improvement over stock.
    Agreed! Thanks for the advice about having a 2nd set ready to go. Drove last night and I am most definitely happy that I switched to the H9's.

Nice.. good to hear. When I first popped mine in there it was daylight.. had to wait hours to try em out and once I did I was like " EUREKA!" " I CAN SEE!" lol.. Even for the shorter life its a nice inexpensive improvement.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Nice.. good to hear. When I first popped mine in there it was daylight.. had to wait hours to try em out and once I did I was like " EUREKA!" " I CAN SEE!" lol.. Even for the shorter life its a nice inexpensive improvement.
    I still have my friend's Dremel so I'm gonna head back to the auto shop and pick up a few more bulbs. I may try another brand just in case it has a longer life. This may have been the only thing I didn't like compared to my Audi. Oh! The stereo is rubbish as well!!! Forgot about that. Haha.

I have Toshiba HIRs in my high beams, they came marked where to cut (dremel). They are a very good match with my HIDs (retrofitted w/HID projectors, oem bulbs/ballasts)
    2008 WRX Premium-Sedan, WRB, Invidia DP, SPT CBE, VF-52, TGV Deletes, Walbro F/P, Stg 2 CAMTuned, Pink springs, Whiteline Sways, Brembos F/R, RPF1, Star Specs, Pioneer/Alpine/JL, Kartboy SS/Bushings, Leather Seats and JPM Coachworks Boots, DAMD flat bottom steering wheel, Grimspeed M/C brace,TRS HID Retrofit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast