Fog Light install tips
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fog Light install tips within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey All, I am hoping this helps someone who wants to do what I just did. I have had my ...

Fog Light install tips

Hey All,

I am hoping this helps someone who wants to do what I just did.

I have had my 08 WRX sedan for 2 weeks today. I love fog lights (they're great in the blizzards here!) and wanted the factory kit... but $300ish for parts only? No way.

I discovered that the OEM kit consists of the lights, fasteners, new turn signal arm, and a relay. Here's what I bought:

-Relay from dealer: $13
    -OEM lights new on eBay: $73 each
    -used turn signal arm w/ fog switch: $35 (eBay)
    -fasteners from hardware store: $4
    -$198 total

The fasteners required were 2 M6 bolts w/ washers (stainless), and 4 push-in body panel connectors. There were 2 sizes required, since the fog light holes were of different diameters.

As far as the install, I found a handy scan of the OEM instructions online somewhere- but it wanted you to remove the front bumper cover! I didn't remove the cover, or even jack up the car. With a little creative contortion, I was able to get them in by only removing 3 panel fasteners on each side (the first 2 in front of each wheel, and one on the bottom of the bumper cover's L and R edges). The hardest part was finding the fog light wires. FYI, mine were folded and taped up out of the way with blue electrical tape. The passenger side wire was easy to see in through the fog light hole, but the driver's side wire was more toward the front grille- hard to find and harder to reach. All told, it probably took me 30 minutes total for the 2 lights and about the same for the turn signal stalk. I have not tested them yet as the relay I ordered from the dealer won't be here until tomorrow- but I'm pretty confident it'll all work out. [UPDATE 7/7/11: just picked up the relay, installed in a couple minutes or so, and all works great.] I am so glad that the wiring is installed even on cars without FLs.

I hope this helps somebody; no reason to tear that bumper cover off!

Jer
    Last edited by Darth Sleader; 07-08-2011 at 09:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

before after pics? or does the after pics just look like stock wrx with fogs?

Hey YelloSno,

Yeah, it just looks factory- the only things not OEM in the entire mod were the connectors and bolts used to mount the fog light housings. Not very interesting. I will however be putting some pics up of my car when I have a couple more mods in.

Thanks.

Jer

cool. look forward to it man.

do you have the link to the ebay product page or seller?

actually i think i found them but I think the 2011 wrx need the STI fogs?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    actually i think i found them but I think the 2011 wrx need the STI fogs?
    The OPs method will not work for the 2011 mainly because you will have to change the surrounds.You can buy just the surrounds but added up the cost comes to about the same for the whole OEM kit. You can find all the info you need about 2011 fogs on the thread in my signature http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tutori...od-thread.html post No.20
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-09-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yeah, I was lucky in that the '08 doesn't require the insert surrounds like the '11 does- it just has round holes with lame honeycomb vents where the fogs should be. The vents pop out surprisingly easily. I believe this mod would work only on 08-10 Rexes.

Jer
    2008 4-Door WRX in Dark Gray Metallic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.