Replacing fog lights with Hella/PIAA lights?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on Replacing fog lights with Hella/PIAA lights? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Near the end of the winter, I had an unpleasant encounter with a snowbank that left the cover on one ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    553

    Replacing fog lights with Hella/PIAA lights?

    Near the end of the winter, I had an unpleasant encounter with a snowbank that left the cover on one of my foglights broken. I was told it would be rather expensive (maybe around $180) to replace.

    I don't really ever need the fog lights, (I have them on all the time at night just for the extra light output), but with living in an area with a TON of deer and lots of dark, unlit highways to travel I could really use the extra light output from something like a Hella or PIAA driving light setup. I'd previously thought about trying to mount them by the front grill, but now I'm thinking about just straight up swapping out my fog lights.

    Anyone have any thoughts? Any reason that this wouldn't work? My thought was to try and disconnect the thing that prevents the fog lights and high beams from being on together and then running the driving lights into the fog light switch.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User jgardiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    316
    It would work, but below the bumper is not the best location for driving lights. For those, the higher you can get them the better so that they can shine the light furthur down the road.

  4. #3
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    553
    Ah, makes sense.

    How much would it diminish the effectiveness? I don't really need distance so much as just something really really bright, especially at the sides of the road. A little bit further than the factory high beams would be perfect.

    This is all on an 03 WRX, by the way.

  5. #4
    Registered User jgardiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    316
    Hard to say how much the mounting height would affect the performance, but anything would be better than nothing. There is a mod on Scoobymods that would allow you to run the fog lights anytime, but if you go with a brighter light you would have to be careful not to have them on with oncoming traffic. Treat them like high beams.

    http://www.scoobymods.com/fog-drivin...22.html?t=1022

  6. #5
    Registered User SKI.WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    333
    I had an incident back in December with a deer who jumped into the side of my car out on US40 between Steamboat and Kremling which started my quest for more light. I just replaced my Fogs with Hella 500 FF's. Light output is great, I would say brighter than my Headlights with Silverstar Ultras (with the clear glass no tinting) and very wide. I also have two Blazer driving lights wired to the High Beam switched ground and the Parking Light power. These are mounted just above the license plate and project light well past the high beams. There is however some light in the foreground that would be avoided by mounting higher up but in Colorado anything above the headlights requires a cover and is not allowed to be on on roads. Also by using the switched ground they are not able to be on without high beams so presumably could not blind anyone because they would turn off when switched back to low beams.


    Edit: I have the driving lights pointed out to the sides of the road which helps with deer/elk but they do glare on road signs a bit.

  7. #6
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner
    Hard to say how much the mounting height would affect the performance, but anything would be better than nothing. There is a mod on Scoobymods that would allow you to run the fog lights anytime, but if you go with a brighter light you would have to be careful not to have them on with oncoming traffic. Treat them like high beams.

    http://www.scoobymods.com/fog-drivin...22.html?t=1022
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX
    I had an incident back in December with a deer who jumped into the side of my car out on US40 between Steamboat and Kremling which started my quest for more light. I just replaced my Fogs with Hella 500 FF's. Light output is great, I would say brighter than my Headlights with Silverstar Ultras (with the clear glass no tinting) and very wide. I also have two Blazer driving lights wired to the High Beam switched ground and the Parking Light power. These are mounted just above the license plate and project light well past the high beams. There is however some light in the foreground that would be avoided by mounting higher up but in Colorado anything above the headlights requires a cover and is not allowed to be on on roads. Also by using the switched ground they are not able to be on without high beams so presumably could not blind anyone because they would turn off when switched back to low beams.


    Edit: I have the driving lights pointed out to the sides of the road which helps with deer/elk but they do glare on road signs a bit.
    Awesome, thanks guys.

    The Hella 500FFs were actually what I was looking at. That and the PIAA 510s, but it looks like the PIAAs are over $250 and the Hellas are like $50... so I think I'll give them a shot. I like the idea of wiring them to the high beams too... I'm definitely not looking to blind anyone.

    Did the lights just fit right into the existing mounting spots? Or did you have to do anything to get them to fit right?

  8. #7
    Registered User SKI.WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    333
    I used the Kartboy adapter. You will need to cut the plastic and the stamped sheet metal plate that is behind the fogs in order for the bolt and nut on the lights. The plate has tabs that hold it to the plastic and will slide off for easy cutting. The plate has the nuts for the stock fogs welded to the back so you will reuse the plate and bolts from the stock fogs. The lights sit slightly farther out than the stock fogs and are just the right size to fit in the hole. I had to trim the tabs on the covers to get them to work since space is limited but they do fit if you choose to use them. For fogs only you can wire them straight to the existing fog light wiring. I used spade connectors so I could put the stock plug back on if I wanted but If I were to do it again i would use vampire clips. No need to wire fog lights to High beams if they are aimed correctly. The driving lights on my bumper are wired to the highs


  9. #8
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    553
    Ok, so I followed the directions on Scoobymods exactly (to make so the fogs can be on at the same time as the high beams), but it didn't seem to work right. The fog lights now don't come on at all and neither do the side marker or rear lights. The button for the fog lights still illuminates, so I know it is getting power. Anyone have any suggestions?

  10. #9
    Registered User jgardiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    316
    Maybe post the question on the Scoobymods thread.

  11. #10
    Registered User DKDunn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    74
    My car didn't have fogs when I bought it, and I wanted some. I got a pair of 500FF fogs with brackets for 1/3 the price of factory parts. Its a no-brainer.

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hella FF1000s w/ Prodrive mounting brackets.


    Kartboy used to make mounts too.
    Last edited by brfatal; 05-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.

  13. #12
    Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    Posts
    1,719
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Damn your headlights are sexy!
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

  14. #13
    \_(ツ)_/ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,140
    I Support ClubWRX
    I like my foglights as they are (lots of foggy days in Oregon), but since most of my commute is on country roads, I plan on doing a setup like this:



    The skid guard is only $220 and IMO has a nice rally look to it.

    The bar has mounts for 4 lights, so if I really went nuts, I'd add two corning beam lights on the outside with two driving lights in the middle. That would be way overkill, and illegal on the road, though. I'd wire a single toggle switch to the power source for all of the lights, then individual switches after that for each set, allowing me to select which lamps I want to control, but giving me centralized control for all of them if need be.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  15. #14
    Registered User jgardiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I like my foglights as they are (lots of foggy days in Oregon), but since most of my commute is on country roads, I plan on doing a setup like this:



    The skid guard is only $220 and IMO has a nice rally look to it.

    The bar has mounts for 4 lights, so if I really went nuts, I'd add two corning beam lights on the outside with two driving lights in the middle. That would be way overkill, and illegal on the road, though. I'd wire a single toggle switch to the power source for all of the lights, then individual switches after that for each set, allowing me to select which lamps I want to control, but giving me centralized control for all of them if need be.
    For centralised control just feed the relays from the high beam circuit. Then when you go to low beam it kills all of the lights.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •