halo headlights - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on halo headlights within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Getting infuriated at what other people do with their own cars is like getting angry because your neighbor is a ...

Getting infuriated at what other people do with their own cars is like getting angry because your neighbor is a vegetarian and you're a carnivore. It's pointless and a matter of personal taste. I personally find it all the more bewildering (not to mention hypocritical) that so many like lowering their car, buying expensive wheels (and spraying tire wet on the tires), tinting the windows dark and putting a front lip spoiler on (all purely aesthetic mods), yet get enraged by LED eyelids or underglow on cars of the same model.

Personally, I get far more annoyed by people that just sit in the passing lane or refuse to use their turn signals or follow three other cars through a dead red light, but that's just me.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

While I am all for everyone doing what they want to cars because it's theirs, and what they like, that's fine. I'm just expressing my opinion as I'm allowed to do so on this forum. I won't bash anyone, but I will voice my dislike if I'm asked an opinion or given an opportunity to do so.

Now when it comes to Halos or the LEDs...it's a visual cue that was taken directly from something that is BMW, VW/Porsche/Audi. That would be like someone putting a Hoodscoop on their Chevy Cavalier or an STI wing on their Hyundai Elantra. Sure, it may look good, but its something its not. To some, it's part of the stigma of having a certain brand or model of car. I wouldn't do it personally...but again...my opinion.

Now for you to do it? Your reason makes a little more sense...an alternative to DRLs so you aren't using the main lighting system. However many people will add things like Halos or LEDs to actually try and look like something it's not with a mentality of "ohhh I want my Hyundai to look like that Porsche!"

...I dunno...that mentality annoys me.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Bewbs.
    Man, you're on a roll today!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    While I am all for everyone doing what they want to cars because it's theirs, and what they like, that's fine. I'm just expressing my opinion as I'm allowed to do so on this forum. I won't bash anyone, but I will voice my dislike if I'm asked an opinion or given an opportunity to do so.
    Well, I wasn't referring to you specifically, but rather the rash of 'rice' type comments I see on here and Nasioc about certain things while other types of aesthetics are all the rage. People saying they get infuriated over personal matters of taste just strikes me as odd. I see nothing useful about lowering the car until it scrapes against every bump, but people like the look. I'm glad it's not my car taking the abuse, though, but I don't get irritated by it.

Now when it comes to Halos or the LEDs...it's a visual cue that was taken directly from something that is BMW, VW/Porsche/Audi. That would be like someone putting a Hoodscoop on their Chevy Cavalier or an STI wing on their Hyundai Elantra. Sure, it may look good, but its something its not. To some, it's part of the stigma of having a certain brand or model of car. I wouldn't do it personally...but again...my opinion.
    Just because something originates on a certain car or car line, that doesn't mean it has to stay there. Someone had to have the first OEM spoiler, the first OEM HID lights, the first tail fins (in years past), etc. Kudos to BMW and Porsche for having nice-looking daytime running lights. Shame on Subaru for not doing the same (or something at least 'different' than just low-bright high-beams), from my perspective.

As for hood scoops, oddly enough my Cavalier Z24 did have a stock OEM functional hood scoop (same air intake as the Camaro of the time). Obviously, it wasn't as large as a Subaru's intercooler scoop, but it was very noticeable and unlike those that put them on just for looks, it was tied directly into the air-intake filter and like I said, it was that way from the factory. And you couldn't pay me to take an STI style spoiler (Just too obnoxious for my tastes, but sadly for me that appears the direction Subaru wants to head even further in for the next WRX).

Now for you to do it? Your reason makes a little more sense...an alternative to DRLs so you aren't using the main lighting system. However many people will add things like Halos or LEDs to actually try and look like something it's not with a mentality of "ohhh I want my Hyundai to look like that Porsche!"
    Personally, I don't think Halos alone are going to make a Hyundai look anything like a Porsche. For the most part, I think people simply want to customize their ride so its more unique instead of just a factory clone. People like Chip Foose make quite a nice living doing just that, in fact. Me, I like lights and light effects. Pink Floyd's lighting at their concerts was awesome to my eyes. I like bubble lights on Christmas trees and electronically controlled lights tracing fireplaces, etc. at Christmas. Tacky? Maybe to some. But even lava lamps can look interesting in the appropriate setting.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

i just got some halos for my bugeye. they're on the last page of this link. i think they look better then the stock ones.
    Batorr's wrx - New England Subaru Forums

I realize this is a 2 year old thread, but I'm not sure about one thing. My headlights are HID ones that raise or lower depending on the setting to the left of the steering wheel. This mod can be done with this type of headlight right? And do they only act as daytime lights or during the night are they completely overshadowed, so to speak, by the main head lights.

Here is the retrofitsource. The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications Look under accessories and angel eye they have a few different options to tailor to your taste. I have a retrofit kit from them and am very pleased.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just got my retrofitted HID's with 90mm Morimoto XBA Led Halo rings. Pretty cool.

My pic does not do it justice. At night, the rings provide almost enough light without me turning on the HID's.

Pretty impressive. They make my WRX unique!

Talk to Caesar over at LIGHTWERKZ. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	112388

There are good headlights, they cost more. There are glitzy headlights with LEDs and halo rings, which are moderately priced. One of the reasons the more expensive variety ARE more expensive is because research and development was done to make sure light is projected maximally both in brightness and efficiency. Not to say you are getting that with the stock lamps, as obviously some economy was considered in their design, but aftermarket lamps are either going to improve things or make the car dangerous.

That would be my first consideration when weighing the options between available housings.
    I would definitely avoid HID retrofits that aren't total rebuilds, and also eBay brandless models.

Post up what you find. It would be useful to funnel the results into a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    I just got my retrofitted HID's with 90mm Morimoto XBA Led Halo rings. Pretty cool.

My pic does not do it justice. At night, the rings provide almost enough light without me turning on the HID's.

Pretty impressive. They make my WRX unique!
    They sure do! If you look at them at night with the HIDs turned on can you still see the halos or does looking into the HIDs blind you?

Also, what was the total install time?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	112400
    heres mine, i have the lightwerkz kit no problems yet, easy install. i wanted something to set mine apart from the rest.

Is that the Marimoto kit or the CCFL kit?

I Support ClubWRX
    install time was 1.75 hrs...but I also had em install hella horns.

i dont think i am blinding anybody. i havent been beamed.

the halos are just cool IMO...but im a light junkie....with the HID's on....they just look unlike other projections with the distinct ring. the beam dispersal is still uniform...and lights up my way just fine. already been on the highway...and dont even need to use the high beams.

my wrx is certainly a lil different than the others...more mods are planned...fog lights need a projection conversion as well...which is NOT cheap from what I can find! help anyone...knowledge...experience. Projection only...3000K.....

mine are the ccfl's. just installed the dual color led turn signal bulbs that stay white as marker lights, but turn amber when blinking. paired with the halos, it really cleans up the front of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    install time was 1.75 hrs...but I also had em install hella horns.

i dont think i am blinding anybody. i havent been beamed. .
    Yours is a full retrofit right?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast