Excellent factory touch up paint in aerosol cans - with instructions for application

This is a discussion on Excellent factory touch up paint in aerosol cans - with instructions for application within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had to do some touch up on the side bumper of my 2008 WRX (satin white pearl). The paint ...

Excellent factory touch up paint in aerosol cans - with instructions for application

I had to do some touch up on the side bumper of my 2008 WRX (satin white pearl). The paint is a three stage paint. I got the paint from a company that offered the factory paint in 12oz areosol cans (base coat, color coat and clear top coat). The paint match was exact..in fact my next door neighbor owns a body shop was amazed at the match and asked me for the name of the company and website. A kit of paint, plastic bumper primer, tape, wet sand paper of various grades, tack cloth and bumper adhesive cost me about $85.00. Here is the link: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...t_matched.aspx
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander
    1970 Datsun 510 sedan (first car)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ordered a new batch of touch-up paint for the 2011 WRX (cuz I know I'm gonna use it), The "kit" included two 12oz cans of Base Coat, two 12oz cans of Clear Coat, one 12oz can of sandable lacquer primer, 1pk tack cloth, 2 pks wet sandpaper, 1 spray can tool and 3/4 green auto grade masking tape....$88.35 incl shipping.

Last edited by Fierceblues; 03-23-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    STI Short shifter w/ STI rear bushing, SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim, Bell STI Radar/Laser detector, SPT Lower Chassis Brace
    2005 Toyota Highlander

I have some bumper dings, so im looking to buy this set. I have no experience with body work. How easy is it to apply? Will it look just as nice after said and done? Should I let a body guy do it?

the link you provided doesnt work. i am going to check into that for sure.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    the link you provided doesnt work. i am going to check into that for sure.
    Automotive Spray Paint custom matched

that one should work

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    thanks
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerjoe View Post
    I have some bumper dings, so im looking to buy this set. I have no experience with body work. How easy is it to apply? Will it look just as nice after said and done? Should I let a body guy do it?
    Do any graffiti work as a kid?

There's a couple of tricks to doing spray paint, regardless of what you're painting.
    1. Cover everything you don't want to get paint on with newspaper and masking tape. This doesn't mean just 6" around it, this means a good 3 feet or more. If you're going to be painting bumper dings, that means you should have newspaper covering your wheels and tires, your front quarterpanels, your hood, your grille, your front lip (if you have one), your windshield, and your mirrors. Also all holes in the front bumper that go through to the engine compartment. Basically everything from the front doors back plus the mirrors and windshield.
    2. Don't paint in the wind.
    3. Don't paint in a dusty area.
    4. You always need to start spraying off of the part you're painting, either off an edge of it, or on the newspaper next to the spot to be painted. A spray can will always spray a heavier spot of paint at first just due to how you move it. Yeah, if you've done it a lot, you figure out how to start spraying in the middle of something (be moving the can really fast as you move the nozzle), but you should always start spraying off the edge if at all possible.
    5. Spray many light coats, not 1-2 heavy coats. The more light coats you do, the more even it'll be. Heavy coats is the #1 enemy of spraying paint.
    6. Don't try and fix the paint job in the first coat. You'll usually end up with some spots that have a little more or less paint than others. If you try and correct this in the first coat, you end up with drips or a really uneven paint job. Just do at least 3 light coats and ignore light spots and the law of averages says it'll all equal out in the end.
    7. Be smooth and consistent. Don't vary your speed no matter what. If you get 1/2 way through a coat and think "boy that's barely putting down any paint," just do the rest of the coat the same way. Don't try and go heavier on the second 1/2 to fix it. Well, let me clarify. If you're going too heavy, then just stop and use a lint free cloth to remove the paint you put on and let whatever it is you're painting dry off. Once you get drips, you're screwed, so always err on the side of lighter.
    8. Wear clothes you don't care about. You will get paint on them.

Those are the first things that come to mind, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some tips.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-03-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks for the write up.

Nice, thanks for the link and the information. Just ordered a bottle of touch-up for my rock chips. I cry when they happen, but later come to realize it's part of owning a car. If it sat in a garage under a cover 24/7, what would be the point?

Quote Originally Posted by 6t6Impala View Post
    Nice, thanks for the link and the information. Just ordered a bottle of touch-up for my rock chips. I cry when they happen, but later come to realize it's part of owning a car. If it sat in a garage under a cover 24/7, what would be the point?
    Be sure and order the base, color and clear coats as the white pearl is a two stage paint, plus the clear top coat.
    2011 SWP WRX Premium
    2005 Toyota Highlander

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    your front quarterpanels
    Two month old correction for an old pet peeve. Fenders are in the front, quarter panels in the rear. Unless you have a Beetle, then you have 4 fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierceblues View Post
    I had to do some touch up on the side bumper of my 2008 WRX (satin white pearl). The paint is a three stage paint. I got the paint from a company that offered the factory paint in 12oz areosol cans (base coat, color coat and clear top coat). The paint match was exact..in fact my next door neighbor owns a body shop was amazed at the match and asked me for the name of the company and website. A kit of paint, plastic bumper primer, tape, wet sand paper of various grades, tack cloth and bumper adhesive cost me about $85.00. Here is the link: Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup
    I wish you were in NorCal I would seriously pay you to do this. I am worried about doing any type of touch up paint and I want it to be perfect. My 2011 wrx SWP rear bumper needs some good touching up