Red lettering on WRX / STI engraving on side panel - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Red lettering on WRX / STI engraving on side panel within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wooooooooow i want that! I emailed crux to see wassup hopefully its just a site error and they still have ...

wooooooooow i want that! I emailed crux to see wassup hopefully its just a site error and they still have it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If not you may be able to find them on eBay, I know a few people that got them off there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Light up all the things!! I had already modified the side badges with some SMD LEDs to act as a running light when the headlights were turned on, today I wired them up to act as turn signals as well as added pair of 9" LED strips inside the fender vent.

Hmmm. Hope that red doesn't cause you trouble. I went with amber in the vents to avoid any issues.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just painted mine body color.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362721221.808447.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	113550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353742396.477382.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	113551

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Desolatemm View Post
    Hmmm. Hope that red doesn't cause you trouble. I went with amber in the vents to avoid any issues.
    Shouldn't be an issue. I've had the WRX badge lit up, minus the blinker function, for almost 2 years now and no problems even when sitting at a light next to a cop. Many US cars have red turn signals in the rear, and the vent lights are rear facing anyway so it shouldn't be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by atf78 View Post
    Light up all the things!! I had already modified the side badges with some SMD LEDs to act as a running light when the headlights were turned on, today I wired them up to act as turn signals as well as added pair of 9" LED strips inside the fender vent.

wow thats crazy! how did you do that?

I sprayed mine with VHT Epoxy Paint. It was the best bond compared to about 10 other tests I performed with combinations of primers and other black paints. This stuff just goes right on. Let it fully dry for 1 week before doing anything with it (KEEP OUT OF THE SUN, no UV protection yet!)

After 1 week, I cleaned out the lettering areas and hand-painted with Red Dupli-color Scratch Fix Lacquer. This stuff will eat right through your epoxy paint, so be careful not to get any outside the letters. I recommend masking off all along the outside. I didn't mask off the finer details. Also, I highly recommend using a small detail hair brush instead of the thick plastic brush that comes with the bottle. A small brush will allow you to simple add a drop of paint inside the letters, then spread it as desired into the hard to reach areas. Let the paint dry for another 2 days.

Last thing I did was put the clear coat on. I used SprayMax 2k. This stuff is AMAZING. It is a true 2-part Urethane spray. There is a bladder inside the can that contains the catalyst. Just press in the button on the bottom, shake for a few minutes, and you have a rattlecan of professional clear (or as close as you can get). This stuff is crazy toxic though, so be sure to use it outside and with a proper class 2/3 respirator. The can only lasts about 24 hours after the catalyst is released, so be sure you're ready before pressing the button. Because it has such a short life-span, I recommend getting any other projects that require a clear coat ready so you can spray them all at once and get the most use for the money.

I applied 2 coats 30 minutes apart. When I applied each coat, I made sure the badge was completely covered and had a wet appearance. Not too much though, or it will pool up and run. Basically just spray until the surfaces appear wet, then stop. This is a CURING clear, so the thin-coats practice is much less relevant. The clear will cure regardless of how thick it is because it is a chemical reaction.

I tool this opportunity to paint my other badges in a similar fashion. For the front grill badge, I used DGM paint matched for the black areas. I had both badges ready to clear at the same time as the side badges so I would get more use out of my can of SprayMax.

Side badges on

For about 2 weeks I was riding with some ghetto black duct tape while I worked on the badges.

Also had a chance to go check out the Limited Orange WRX at Chaplin's Subaru in Bellevue, WA.
    It comes stock with black painted badges. I really like the black stock wheels too.

Last edited by Desolatemm; 04-26-2013 at 07:36 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolatemm View Post
    Also had a chance to go check out the Limited Orange WRX at Chaplin's Subaru in Bellevue, WA.
    It comes stock with black painted badges. I really like the black stock wheels too.

Do you have more pics of the orange WRX? Do you mind starting a thread in the photography forum & posting them there?

Paging Mikie.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

So apparently you can order the OEM Black WRX badges from the limited orange WRX. A member on NASIOC, WReXless, posted the part numbers:

Limited Edition badges for WRX
    91123FG060
    91123FG070

Limited Edition badges for STI
    91123FG100
    91123FG110

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234