Opinion's on tinting tail-lights...

This is a discussion on Opinion's on tinting tail-lights... within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What tint % would be good without getting too dark where it would be difficult for other drivers to see ...

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar

Opinion's on tinting tail-lights...

What tint % would be good without getting too dark where it would be difficult for other drivers to see them at night/in the rain (I live in Florida) it rains heavy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Tinting taillights is stupid. It reduces visibility and increases the likelihood of being rear-ended.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User 2011REXRoyalBlu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Tinting taillights is stupid. It reduces visibility and increases the likelihood of being rear-ended.
    Did you completly alter you're first comment about leos?.. someone is in the law enforcement business lol.. I enjoy the look, of 45% which really isn't much at all..

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    -dangerous
    -tacky
    -ugly

people already tailgate as it is. the last thing you want to do is decrease your visibility even more & increase your chances of getting rearended. just asking for trouble.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Aye. Nothing like forcing drivers to wear an extra pair of sunglasses.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Personally...I like the look of it (on certain cars), but its not worth the repercussions that it brings... it kind of defeats the whole purpose of having rear marker lights, so I'd have to vote no on this one... if you decide to do this, double check your state laws to avoid a major headache when emissions and inspections rolls around...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Personally I don't like the look of it at all, but if you really wanted to, you can probably get a local shop to put on whatever % tint you'd like. If you just want like a slight "smoke" go with something like 50-60%. Personally I wouldn't bother, though. You're just asking for more police attention.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I agree with many that it is not a good idea to go too dark. If you want to keep it legal, check with your state laws. Some states have strict no film laws while others have some technical definition like the tails must be visible at X feet or something like that, which your stock tail lights far exceed. If it is the latter definition, a minimal amount of tint/film would still keep you legal and safe.

: putting flamesuit on:

I wanted to go with a subtle stealthy look so I got the lightest film I could find (91%). The result was a darker color of red so it isn't blacked out or anything like that. Even with the film, the tails are significantly brighter than many cars on the road so I have no worries about legality and safety.

Depends on where in FL you live. I know in lauderdale everyone and their brother (and mother for crap's sake) has smoked tails and gets away with it. My friends in Gainesville and Orlando get away with it too. Where I live they will pull you over search you and all kinds of tideous/annoying things. When I got pulled over for my smoked set the cop said the rule of thumb is 500 feet, if anything less than that and they will get after you.

Now I just have an OEM pair for daily driving and I got a blacked set for show use (goes with my black and white theme). Though I may do just a couple of light coats on the daily ones just to make the red a nice deep color instead of bright red
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

Personally, I just went with red overlays that leave the inner part clear.

When I had a bugeye that had a super loud exhaust, no front plate, dark window tint, and was 90% carbon fiber parts including doors....I got pulled over for...you guessed it, the taillights being smoked. So out of about 4 or 5 not-so-legal things, the taillights were what got me pulled over. So I'm not excited about the idea of darkening tails.

I would just get some overlays so that you can easily remove them if/when you need to, or can show the officer you will def do it by pulling up a corner to show him.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    My opinion : They can SOMETIMES look good, however the fact that insurance companies can deny your claim after getting rear ended if you have tinted taillights is plenty reason for me to never use them
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I'm definitely a huge fan of the red overlay. That's what you should do OP, looks amazing and it is perfectly legal.

Anxiouz: would you mind tossing up a quick pic of yours?
    Did you DIY or have a local tint shop do it?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX