2010 STI custom hitch / call for bumper removal guide
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 STI custom hitch / call for bumper removal guide within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm getting a custom 1.25" hitch made that'll sandwich between the frame and the rear bumper mounts. Will sit behind ...

2010 STI custom 1.25" hitch

I'm getting a custom 1.25" hitch made that'll sandwich between the frame and the rear bumper mounts. Will sit behind the muffler and inside the cavity behind the bumper, with the hitch receiver coming through the middle of the bottom of the air splitter.

The hitch will be used for a tray-style bike rack to tuck some downhill bikes behind the car and off the roof reducing drag.

Does anybody have leads to a bumper disassembly/removal guide, preferably factory details?

Pictures to come.

I can post the final material dimensions if anyone is interested in doing this too.
    Last edited by Flomotion; 06-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Okay, this is a followup. The hitch has been made and finished and it couldn't have worked out better. Pictures are below:

Final info:
    material weight 27lbs
    expected towing capacity 1000lbs

You can see from the pictures there is nothing showing the 1.25" receiver is mounted behind the rear air diffuser with a hole cut in the diffuser for the rack. I'm using the 2010 Thule T2 rack and took the big bikes out this weekend; ripped around the mountain and had no problems with the rack.

You can see what it looks like with the bikes tilted back for hatch access (actually I dont have a picture with it holding the bikes normally), and with the rack folded up w/ no bikes. Very solid rack, no problems with 2 50lb bikes.

Best shuttle car ever.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080976.jpg   P1080978.jpg   P1080985.jpg   P1080995.jpg  
    Last edited by Flomotion; 06-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Looks good, did you take any pics with the bumper off?

yup:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagejpeg_2_3.jpg   imagejpeg_3_2.jpg   imagejpeg_2_2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Flomotion View Post
    yup:
    Nice, thanks! That will help a lot. Was going to go with a Forester hitch but your method looks good.

How is the hitch held on, is it welded to something or did they drill some holes and bolt it on?
    Last edited by Kevin; 06-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Initially the design was to put two plates sandwiched between the ends of the frame rails and the bumper in case something had to be removed, but to add extra strength they welded the extra plates to the bumper. Not the end of the world, it wont come off now but it should never have to.

EDIT:
    oh and between the plates there is a 2x2" square pipe that the exposed triangle is welded to
    Last edited by Flomotion; 06-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.

any plans to make kits? .. I'd be very interested in such a rig. I don't like the Idea of putting my bike on the roof.. and if its a wet ride I really don't like the Idea of putting it inside the car.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

that is exactly my plan, thus the post on here

and yea I was a bit wary to put my rigs on the roof too, and it couldn't have worked better having them on the back.

I have the 2010 STI SE, I'm not sure if there are frame differences with the SE, but we should probably find out.

cool, I've just got a standard 2010 wrx.. I believe the body shells are the same ..but.. dunno. If you need pics or measurements let me know and I'll try and get them for ya.

How hard was it to get the rear bumper off? I know the front comes off easy, haven't had the rear off yet though.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

For future reference, here is a link to the Euro trailer hitch install instructions which should give people an idea about bumper removal:

http://www.subarupartsstore.co.uk/pu...L105EFG001.pdf

sti hitch

Quote Originally Posted by Flomotion View Post
    I'm getting a custom 1.25" hitch made that'll sandwich between the frame and the rear bumper mounts. Will sit behind the muffler and inside the cavity behind the bumper, with the hitch receiver coming through the middle of the bottom of the air splitter.

The hitch will be used for a tray-style bike rack to tuck some downhill bikes behind the car and off the roof reducing drag.

Does anybody have leads to a bumper disassembly/removal guide, preferably factory details?

Pictures to come.

I can post the final material dimensions if anyone is interested in doing this too.

sti hitch

Can you post the dimmensions as Iam interested in getting one of these fabricated for my STI....

Cheers

If you ever made a kit, I'm VERY interested.

If not, I'd like to compliment you. It's the best looking hitch i've seen.

Ross

I've contacted Steve McQueen, (http://www.mcqueenmetalfab.com/home) my metal fab guy I contracted to build the hitch in the first place to see if he'd be interested in making another one of these hitches in a 'kit' form to be sent off.

I'll let you know what he says.

Do you know if your design will fit 2011 WRX 5-door? I am very interested in adding such a set-up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.