Ultra light trailer tow hitch ? 2010 Sedan
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ultra light trailer tow hitch ? 2010 Sedan within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Etrailer just sent me a 37 pound hunk of steel that I really can't imagine myself bolting up to one ...

Ultra light trailer tow hitch ? 2010 Sedan

Etrailer just sent me a 37 pound hunk of steel that I really can't imagine myself bolting up to one extreme end of my car. Their website said that the Valley brand tow hitch was 27 pounds when I ordered it; an obvious misprint. So far, they are trying to make me pay the return shipping if I want a refund.

I two a boat/trailer that weighs only about 800# and only as far as about 200 feet each way from storage to launch ramp. I could use a hitch that is not class 1 legal (2000 lb) but of course will not find one that is pre manufactured that way...unless other countries have such a thing.

Any ideas on where to look for such an animal or ideas on how to fabricate something lighter than what my present options are?

Gary
    2010 Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For 37 pounds I wouldn't bother trying to come up with anything else. I'm sure the uhaul one on my bugeye weighs much more and I don't notice it... UNLESS I'm pulling a couple dirtbikes on my trailer.. LOL...The few pounds is worth the piece of mind that you have something RELAIBLE attached to your Subaru.

Hopefull alternative

I spoke with someone at Eckhart today.
    Eckharts Hitch Builders
    I was told that they could indeed build a hitch that is rated at 1,000 lbs. rather than the class 1 hitch that is rated at 2,000 lbs. The weight should be much less.

Meanwhile, ... anyone else have advice?

Gary
    2010 Sedan

Just my opinion, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to save very minimal weight. have you even bolted it on the see how'd it actually feel. I myself, for the durability and the liability aspect 'd stay with a known good and rated hitch. 37 lbs really isnt that much.

If you truely are ONLY gonna use it to move that boat around that short distance why even bother with any of it at all, and just use a small used garden tractor or quad instead???

Lightweight hitch update

Just thought that I'd give you the latest in my hitch adventure.

I discussed the hitch at a hitch builder. We discussed the options of various builds and the one that I'll go with will not be visible except for the receiver channel. We don't have an exact weight yet. Based on the materials used and the amounts of the materials used, he guessed 20 pounds and I guessed 18 pounds.

I just have to make an appointment and leave my car there for 2-3 hours. Looks like it's going to be costing me about $959.11. :-\ Here is the cost breakdown:

Hitch welding, painting, installation including removal and replacement of the bumper skin will be about:
    $330.00
    Cost to buy, paint, and replace the bumper skin:
    $629.11

That's the front bumper skin. The one that got seared, blackened, and abraded by the tires and the sides of the wheels of the car driven by the blind SOB who side swiped me while he drove on the wrong side of the street as I left the welding shop. :'(
    No witnesses.

Gary
    2010 sedan
    Last edited by WRCross; 02-20-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Picture of the tail end of the lightweight hitch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hitch on WRX.jpeg  

ouch..

should gone with this design my man:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exteri...hp?t=134331333

Quote Originally Posted by Flomotion View Post
    ouch..
    Excuse me?

should gone with this design my man:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exteri...hp?t=134331333
    Why? So you can profit off me? Any other reason I'd want to put a hitch on my car that is designed for a different model, weighs more, isuglier, and has no higher capacity than mine?

What am I missing here? It sure looks like you are just trying to hijack this thread to steer customers to your thread. I'm not selling anything here but you have made it clear that you will be. Do you buy sponsorship, advertisement from this website?

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    any plans to make kits? .. I'd be very interested in such a rig. I don't like the Idea of putting my bike on the roof.. and if its a wet ride I really don't like the Idea of putting it inside the car.
    that is exactly my plan, thus the post on here

and yea I was a bit wary to put my rigs on the roof too, and it couldn't have worked better having them on the back.

I have the 2010 STI SE, I'm not sure if there are frame differences with the SE, but we should probably find out.
    Nice hitch, by the way! Too bad your lack of appreciation for mine caused you to take a dig at my efforts. I never heard any advice from you over the past 6 months that I've been pondering what to do.

Gary
    2010 Stock Sleek Spark Silver Sleeper Sedan

Calm down. I said ouch about your front bumper.

I'm also not trying to hijack your thread. Hijack... really? What are we twelve? Is there really so much to be gained by posting on these.sites? I was trying to link those that might follow your thread in the future to the other design options out there. I am not trying to make money, do you think the 4 people who are going to stumble across your site are really going to turn me a profit? Get real. Instead, my aim is to combine design efforts since it seems this problem arises again and again. What's more, I prefer my design because it does not affect ground clearance or diffuser airflow, but that is only one engineer's opinion. I actually cannot sell my rack as shown on the linked thread, because it requires permanent installation to the bumper. Again, I wish only to link common information so those that go after us may stand on our shoulders.

Flomotion,

My reaction was an over reaction. I'm sorry.

Calm down. I said ouch about your front bumper.
    Thanks.

Gary
    2010 spark silver sleeper sedan
    Last edited by WRCross; 07-11-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Likewise,

nice job on the hitch by the way, it looks good. It's rewarding when you build (or have someone else build ) something that works, eh?
    Last edited by Flomotion; 07-11-2010 at 09:22 AM.

hitch

have 2010 wrx hatch, purchased a Curt hitch. Bolts up, however needs a little shaving to accomindate stock exsaust. rated 2000lb. Not sure what the weight of it is. Tows 800lb Wave Runner!

Quote Originally Posted by sepoyank View Post
    have 2010 wrx hatch, purchased a Curt hitch. Bolts up, however needs a little shaving to accomindate stock exsaust. rated 2000lb. Not sure what the weight of it is. Tows 800lb Wave Runner!
    I just had the Curt hitch installed on my 2010 5 door and have the same problem with the hitch rubbing the stock exhaust. Didn't want to shave the hitch as the warranty would be shot as soon as you alter the hitch. Unfortunately I think its my only option. Do you have any pictures of the hitch once it was shaved back?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.