Yet Another Window Tint Thread - With a Poll!

View Poll Results: Do you think tinting the rear windows and rear windshield looks better than no tint?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay - tinting the rear windows and rear windshield is better than nothing at all.

18 85.71%
  • Nay - leave well enough alone.

3 14.29%

This is a discussion on Yet Another Window Tint Thread - With a Poll! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've just finished reading through all the window tint threads in this forum from 2007 onwards. You all have some ...

Yet Another Window Tint Thread - With a Poll!

I've just finished reading through all the window tint threads in this forum from 2007 onwards. You all have some pretty sweet rides.

There seems to be conflicting general opinion on window tint though, so I thought I'd solicit additional feedback. Most people seem to think tinting only the rear windows/rear windshield looks bad; however, alot of folks also talked about removing tint from their front windows after receiving too much unwanted police attention.

I'm considering having the rear windows and rear windshield of my 2009 WRB Hatchback tinted at 20% for a few reasons: appearance, to hide my subwoofer and a tiny bit for uv/heat protection. I do enjoy the look of 20% all the way around, but I'm not interested in paying to have the front windows illegally tinted, only to receive a fix-it ticket.

Most likely, I will go ahead as planned (unless someone posts a horrendous pictures which convinces me otherwise) but I was curious to see how the numbers break down.

So does tinting the rear window and rear windshield look better than no tint at all? Yay or nay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Well, this is a tough one, it's gonna be up to you ultimately.

I don't like the way cars look with no tint. I also don't like the way they look with only the windows behind the driver tinted. But, tinting the rearward windows has the benefits, as you mentioned, of blocking some UV light and hiding things you have in the car.
    So, I think it comes down to function over form. They both look bad, but at least tinting the rearward windows serves a purpose.

Well put, DUB.

Sucks about your CHP incident too... seems as if you were replying to my shop thread while I was writing this post! So does your bugeye now have tint on just the windows behind the front seats?

I used to have 5% all around in my Cherokee. I backed up with the side mirrors. No A/C, so the tint actually did serve a big purpose. NJ only allows the rear windows to be tinted. Because of this, I don't have tint on either of my cars. I have family in law enforcement, have the metal family member card in my wallet. The card does encourage leniency in special circumstances. Despite this, I prefer not to give police a reason to pull me over.

If I lived in a state that allowed tint, I'd probably have 20% rear 35% front, and 50% on the windshield.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

If you have a reason more than just aesthetics (e.g. hide junk in your hatch) then I say tint it. I think that it looks unfinished when the front sides are not tinted but better than no tint at all. However, I admit I require tint on all vehicles I own and have regularly gone illegal just so it looks better. If I lived in CA I would probably have 20% done on the back windows professionally then DIY the fronts for if/when I would get pulled over to get it legal for minimum cost (and of course reapply later).

I'm currently running a legal 35% all the way around on my WRX but wish I would have gone with 20%. IMO the best combination for looks and functionality is 20% in the back and 30% up front--did that on my wife's Yaris and it was perfect.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with Dub, I dont like cars without tint, and I dont like cars with clear front windows and dark rear windows.

HOWEVER.... I will say that uniform is key, if your leaving the fronts clear, leave them all clear. If your tinting the fronts to 20% tint it all to 20%. I think that looks best honestly, if your going to tint it tint it all the same, if your not going to tint it all, leave it all the same.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by evanr View Post
    ...So does your bugeye now have tint on just the windows behind the front seats?
    Yeah. I did have tint on all windows, including a strip on the windshield. I removed the tint from the front two windows after I got the citation for it.

I don't like the way it looks now, but I left the tint on the windows behind the front seats partially for the benefits it provides and partially 'cause I am far too lazy to remove it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I took the car into the shop this afternoon and had 15% tint applied to all the windows behind the driver seat. I was tempted to just do the whole thing in 20%, but was convinced otherwise. According to the guy at the shop, they used to just write fix-it tickets which you could either pay or get signed off on. Now, the choices you have are to either pay or go to court. It's not until you show up in court that they give you the fix-it ticket! Anyhow, here's an updated pic with tint!

You'll also notice my neighbor's Impreza parked next to my car!

Last night was my first opportunity to drive with the tint in the dark. I noticed that there are some optical irregularities caused by the tint. While looking out the rear window, the places where the defroster lines are cause a replication of a single point of light. So instead of a single headlight, I see the light source, along with ghosted replicas above and below it. Could this be due to the metallic nature of the film? Has anyone else observed this with their tint? BTW: I have SunTek HP 15.

when applying the tint what is the solution you use in the spray bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabroo01 View Post
    I always thought the solution was a simple light soapy water. It just allowed for the proper placement and maneuvering of the film itself.

And after some light Googling...I was pretty much right.

Best application solution for auto tint - Consumer Questions - TintDude Forum
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Sabroo01 View Post
    I always thought the solution was a simple light soapy water. It just allowed for the proper placement and maneuvering of the film itself.

And after some light Googling...I was pretty much right.

Best application solution for auto tint - Consumer Questions - TintDude Forum
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Awesome yeah i was alway confused about what to use,

I didn't want to waste money trying it and having it not work hahaha appreciate it!