Official Roof Rack Thread!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Official Roof Rack Thread! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So Im obsessed with the way they look on Subarus and if you guys would just throw up pictures of ...

Registered User BringDownTheSky's Avatar

Official Roof Rack Thread!

So Im obsessed with the way they look on Subarus and if you guys would just throw up pictures of your cars with roof racks on it'd be freakin sweet!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

damn none of you have roof racks?
    here's inspiration if you dont!

not my car, str8 google rip!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    looks like you might be in the wrong car my friend

i'm a sucker for vdubs with roof racks

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

When researching putting my Yakima setup on my new 09 WRX, I found this thread. It's very informative!

Yakima roof rack - Page 4 - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

I have all the parts for mine now, it just needs to be installed. The rack came off a 4Runner, so I am planning to trim the rods. Has anyone tried something narrower than the standard 48" ones?

I'm planning to go with 46" to reduce the overhang on the sides. Will post pics when I'm finished!

Wish I'd seen this earlier; too dark to take a picture now!

Got the OEM cross bars on right now.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

hooray finally some hits. post some pictures up when you get a chance!

DUB
    I hate the way it looks, but it's necessary to carry 5 people and snowboards to the hill. I get used to it over winter, then when I take the box off and put the summer tires back on in spring it's like a whole new car.

I'm on my way outside right now to wash mine, then I'll post up some pictures.

The OEM rack has kind of grown on me... It's a pretty sleek look.

Hey Dub I really like that box... I'm still trying to make a decision on what I want to put on mine since so far I only have the crossbars... I'm a skiier so just some clamps would be fine, but a box like that would be cool since I could throw stuff in it if I went on a huge road trip if I needed the extra space..
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Im not a huge fan of the boxes, although yours does match like perfect Dub haha.

Ive been wanting to get one for so long for my car, but I might as well just save up and get one for my Subaru when I finally get it.

DUB
    The box is great 'cause you can throw other gear in there besides just skis/snowboards. My boots effing stink right when I take them off so I toss them in the box and they don't stink up the car.

Okay here's my 09 wagon with the OEM crossbars:

The flip-up doors on the towers hide a single torx screw that holds on the outer shell of the tower. Inside that is a thumb screw that goes into the roof of the car.

Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

DUB
    The problem with OE crossbars is they usually aren't meant to handle much weight. Make sure you double check the manual for the weight rating before you load them up. That's why I like the factory roof rails, you can install any after market tower/bar you wish.

The crossbars from the factory do look very clean though.

Yes they aren't rated for much weight at all -- I don't remember the exact number but it wasn't much over 120lbs if I recall correctly..

You can definitely pull on it a little through the sunroof and they have a bit of give. But it's kind of a moot point for me anyway since I only got the roof rack to get the skis out of the trunk... as nice as a box for the roof would be I'm sure I'll never actually do it... I never take long trips where I can't cram the stuff into the back seat/hatch.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Hey guys,

I just got my 09 wrx hatchback and wanted opinions on other brands of roof racks and prices. Basically I'm looking for the quietest solution since I'll be making a drive from Ohio to Colorado to do some skiing. I'll probably need to take about 5 or 6 sets of skis/snowoards. Probably 3 skis, 3 or 4 snowboards.

I know thule makes some good ones etc. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by geneahn View Post
    Hey guys,

I just got my 09 wrx hatchback and wanted opinions on other brands of roof racks and prices. Basically I'm looking for the quietest solution since I'll be making a drive from Ohio to Colorado to do some skiing. I'll probably need to take about 5 or 6 sets of skis/snowoards. Probably 3 skis, 3 or 4 snowboards.

I know thule makes some good ones etc. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks guys!
    Personally, I really enjoy my Yakima setup, although I have not owned Thule. When researching racks (for cycling/snowboarding), it seemed as if overall the Yakima owners were more satisfied with their racks. Take this for what it's worth, just one guy's opinion on the internet.

If you are concerned about noise, you'll probably end up with a fairing, and I think the Yakima fairing is more aesthetically appealing.

Another option to reduce noise is the windjammer (see Yakima roof rack - Page 4 - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums). Using Bing to get cashback, I found Rackattack.com to be a great place to order Yakima stuff for a great price!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.