aftermarkt front bumper??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on aftermarkt front bumper?? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i just bought my 04 wrx and the front bumper was cut for a fmic. it wasnt done verry ...

aftermarkt front bumper??

so i just bought my 04 wrx and the front bumper was cut for a fmic. it wasnt done verry well and its all scratched up. soooo the dealer is goin to pay for a whole new bumper and painting it free of charge. im thinking about just paying them a little extra and getting an sti bumper.

but what other after market bumpers god well with the stock side skirts?? ive look around a little, but just havent been able to find one that doesnt hang to low.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i am currently undergoing a similar situation. Although it is low i am looking at the Duraflex Wing front bumper. If your car is lowered at all this may bring about problems, but idk.

i wish they made more user friendly front bumpers, instead of tons of riced out super low ones
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Buck View Post
    i am currently undergoing a similar situation. Although it is low i am looking at the Duraflex Wing front bumper.
    Frankly, that would be the most retarded possible thing you can do to your car. Not only are you wanting to put a fiberglass bumper on, but you're looking to put a fiberglass bumper with a built in lip.

If it's not plastic or urethane, stay far far far far far away.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Frankly, that would be the most retarded possible thing you can do to your car. Not only are you wanting to put a fiberglass bumper on, but you're looking to put a fiberglass bumper with a built in lip.

If it's not plastic or urethane, stay far far far far far away.
    +1 billion good advice
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't recommend putting an aftermarket bumper on the interior of your car.

(moving to Exterior and Appearance forum)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

well thanks for the opinions brfatal and teflon_Jones... but if the Duraflex is such a retarded idea... what would be a more intellectual decision?

yeah the reason im posting is because its somewhat of a problem. the wing bumper is 2 inches lower than a stock wrx, which is .4 inches lower than a stock STi. So this bumper is (for all the other retards out there) 1.6 inches lower than a stock STi.

Furthermore i am most def a noob to body kits, and a large amount of the rest of the car world. so by all means enlighten me
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    well thanks for the opinions brfatal and teflon_Jones... but if the Duraflex is such a retarded idea... what would be a more intellectual decision?

yeah the reason im posting is because its somewhat of a problem. the wing bumper is 2 inches lower than a stock wrx, which is .4 inches lower than a stock STi. So this bumper is (for all the other retards out there) 1.6 inches lower than a stock STi.

Furthermore i am most def a noob to body kits, and a large amount of the rest of the car world. so by all means enlighten me
    Fiberglass does not belong on the front of a car, where most damages can occur. You see Hondas drive around with broken and cracked aftermarket front bumpers right? Those are fiberglass bumpers.

Plastic and urethane are many times stronger. You can bolt one side of your front bumper to your car and then stuck the other side under your car and run over it and it will just twist back to it's original shape without breaking. If it was fiberglass, it wouldn't even reach the ground near your wheel before breaking. Fiberglass allows for minimal flex before breaking. When you have a body panel that will scrap the ground (lip/bumper) you don't want brittle parts.
    Last edited by brfatal; 01-05-2009 at 07:31 PM.

ok fair enough. where can i get a plastic or urethane front bumper? all i can find are fiberglass and Duraflex materials.

So the Duraflex are just as unreliable as pure fiberglass?
    this vid is what convinced me...
    duraflex promotional video - Google Video

ok fair enough. where can i get a plastic or urethane front bumper? all i can find are fiberglass and Duraflex materials.

So the Duraflex are just as unreliable as pure fiberglass?
    this vid is what convinced me...
    duraflex promotional video - Google Video
    No, the Duraflex stuff is definitely better than straight fiberglass in that it's lighter and more flexible. Weight and flexibility are two big negatives of fiberglass so that's good. However, at the end of the day Duraflex is still pretty much a fiberglass product and it cracks and breaks as opposed to urethane that just bends.

Urethane > plastic >= Duraflex > fiberglass

Does that make sense?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

ok yeah. gotcha. well i kno when it gets cold (below 0) it wont matter what kind material the bumper is made of it'll prob break. but due to financial restraints Duraflex is probly what i'll end up getting.

Do you guys know of any bumpers made of Urethane or plastic that fit an 04 wrx? i cant find any

Id get an STi bumper, body kits are just ricey to me.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

ur right. and i really dont want my wrx to look like cheap fiberglass ricer car.

are the stock bumpers made of fiberglass? idk i havent worked with fiberglass... so duraflex would still be a small step up from stock?
    Last edited by The_Buck; 01-06-2009 at 12:34 PM.

On the 04-05's the STi and WRX bumpers are the same. The only difference is the wing peaces on the side.

When I messed up my front bumper, I had the shop install the STi setup, es mui bueno
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 01-06-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer.

yeah i think im just gonna get the STi bumper made of Duraflex, i kno its not anything special but im just looking to get the job done without a ricer look.

that way i can still put on a v limited in case i bottom out then the damage is done to the $100 lip instead of the $325 bumper, ya kno?

and i decided regardless of the material its gonna break if it gets hit by something when its below 0

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.