Need help immediately!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need help immediately! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so right now I'm supposed to be on my way back to Mississippi to take my class at 630 ...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

Exclamation Need help immediately!

Ok so right now I'm supposed to be on my way back to Mississippi to take my class at 630 am tomorrow. But when I got in my car to leave my headlights don't come on. My running lights come on but my head lamps do not. My brights work and I've checked the fuses but other than that I dont know what else to do. I know that my drivers side running lamp is burnt out too. Any suggestions would be helpful because I am definately not making a 2.5 hour drive with only daytime running lights.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If your driver's side lamp burnt out, any chance that your passenger side did as well? Have you tried replacing the bulbs yet?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Ok so right now I'm supposed to be on my way back to Mississippi to take my class at 630 am tomorrow. But when I got in my car to leave my headlights don't come on. My running lights come on but my head lamps do not. My brights work and I've checked the fuses but other than that I dont know what else to do. I know that my drivers side running lamp is burnt out too. Any suggestions would be helpful because I am definately not making a 2.5 hour drive with only daytime running lights.
    You mention the state you are in but not the type of headlamps you car has. Mine has bugeyes, and the troubleshooting would be different for yours if yours does not, since you may in fact have a model with separate dipped and main beams... Your statement about your DRLs working while your dipped (low) beams do not leads me to believe you do not have a bugeye.

In any case, it doesn't matter. If you cannot find a fault in the circuit -- and since both lights are not working I'd suspect the low beam circuit -- then you can either wait till daylight (...The Sun Also Rises...) or adjust the lights that do work (the main or "high" beams) by lowering them as much as possible, and seeing if you can drive safely that way (safe for both you and others).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
    If your driver's side lamp burnt out, any chance that your passenger side did as well? Have you tried replacing the bulbs yet?
    No my running light on the passenger side is on. Here is what is weird, My driver side marker/signal is on but the running lamp is out and on the passenger side the side marker/signal is out but the running lamp is on.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You mention the state you are in but not the type of headlamps you car has. Mine has bugeyes, and the troubleshooting would be different for yours if yours does not, since you may in fact have a model with separate dipped and main beams... Your statement about your DRLs working while your dipped (low) beams do not leads me to believe you do not have a bugeye.

In any case, it doesn't matter. If you cannot find a fault in the circuit -- and since both lights are not working I'd suspect the low beam circuit -- then you can either wait till daylight (...The Sun Also Rises...) or adjust the lights that do work (the main or "high" beams) by lowering them as much as possible, and seeing if you can drive safely that way (safe for both you and others).
    My car is an 06. I did just install a new head unit in the car but I'm not sure if any of the wiring for that is associated with the headlights.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you need to get going ASAP, the immediate answer is to lower the beams that do work as much as possible. If you have time to troubleshoot, start under the dash from what you've said.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    when i toggle my headlamp switch there is a clicking noise around the passenger side door. im not sure what it is but i've always heard i was just wondering if anyone knows what it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Where the passenger's right shin would be, on the side of the car and below the dash, are a set of relays. They control main/dipped beam selection as well as DRLs but they do differ from model to model in how they're wired. That's what you're hearing.

So are both your high and low beams out? Or is just one of them not working?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    So are both your high and low beams out? Or is just one of them not working?
    high beams work like a champ. so should i check the relays?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    wel i guess ill be leaving it alone for tonight. as i was working on my situation the sprinklers in my apartment complex came on. just further proof that god probably hates me.

The DRL's and the lowbeams on the 06 use the same bulbs. If one of your DRL's is out try replacing that bulb and see if that corrects the problem with the low beams.

The next place to start looking would be the wiring for your headunit. Maybe you crossed or spliced the wrong wire somehow.

Other than that I really don't know what could be causing this problem. Especially if everything was working normally before you installed the headunit.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    The DRL's and the lowbeams on the 06 use the same bulbs. If one of your DRL's is out try replacing that bulb and see if that corrects the problem with the low beams.

The next place to start looking would be the wiring for your headunit. Maybe you crossed or spliced the wrong wire somehow.

Other than that I really don't know what could be causing this problem. Especially if everything was working normally before you installed the headunit.
    yeah that was the first thing i tried. but i figured it out. apparently both of my bulbs burnt out at the same time. apparently my relays for my headlights were both out and in somr sort of freak electrical problem blew both my bulbs. which is really weird that my fuses didnt blow.

so AFTER my dealership turned me away i went t the auto parts store and bought new bulbs and low and behold...both of mine were toast. might i add that it is a freakin PAIN to put those things in too. but then after that i realized my relay for my headlights werent clicking. so 70 bucks later new relays and new bulbs and problem solved

I Support ClubWRX
    The fuses may not blow out if the current is introduced after them in line, that is, if the short is introduced nearer the relay than the fuse. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.