New Parts + 2008 WRX= good saturday morning
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Parts + 2008 WRX= good saturday morning within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well as you may or may not know, I had ordered and recieved my Grillcraft grill inserts and my Injen ...

New Parts + 2008 WRX= good saturday morning

Well as you may or may not know, I had ordered and recieved my Grillcraft grill inserts and my Injen CAI. I woke up this morning around 8 and decided to install both parts. From very beginning (taking out my tools and setting up) to completely done (parts installed, tools away) took me 3 hours. Below are some pictured and below that is some helpful hints if you plan to install the parts.

Enjoy:

Injen

GrillCraft:
    Before:

after:

Its not too clear, but in person, the Grill craft looks amazing One note about it, in the lower valence one, don't bother with the middle hole. you wont be able to get the screw in without some sick tools or taking the bumper off and cutting more holes. it is well mounted with just the side screws.

A note for the Intake, take the vibramount bracket off the car and you will have a ton better access to the back screw. Also, I reused the big bolt to hold the heat shield in place.

Thanks for looking and just a heads up. I don't need the sermon on how an intake is dumb. I got it already and i did my research, and am comfortable with my purchase and how this product will perform.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Better Photos

looks good. how much did the grills set you back. i like them but havent seen them before. why would the intake be dumb? wouldnt it increase the airflow over the stocker?

The hood scoop and the Lower valence were 215 shipped from FastWRX.com On grillcraft it would have been 300.

As for the intake, I don't think its dumb, but there are several people on this site who have made it known that they don't like them. I agree with you. its a straighter shot, cold air, and a smoother flow.

Hey, looks excellent! How hard were the grill inserts to install?

Quote Originally Posted by m2klm View Post
    Hey, looks excellent! How hard were the grill inserts to install?
    Not that bad. The hardest thing was getting the plastic cover off for the hood scoop. you have to be careful with the little plastic grommets. I broke one because i took it off wrong. The Grillcraft instructions aren't very detailed, so I did a litte guessing. Once I got into it though, not tough at all. Everything is just in a crappy spot that makes it tough to get to. A little patience and you should be fine. Like I said above, just don't bother with that middle screw for the lower grill piece and you should be able to put it in in about an hour for both pieces.

Taking off the front bumper is rather easy. I learned this when installed the fog lights myself. I dont have a prmWRX either. Had to do it again when i put on the sport grill.
    The time will come to pull the bumper, there wont be an easier way to change out the fog lights when they decide to burn out. I def like the enhancement of the looks from the lower grill. How do you like the intake? any CEL since the install?

P.S. lol I guess you dont care anymore about blacking out your lic. plate numbers since your first posts.
    Last edited by S4winz; 11-01-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Haven't driven the car yet, but started it and reved it a few times. Sounds nice and no check engine lights. Gonna run this new tank of gas and see if i can get any better mileage, worse mileage. etc.

Will post updates as i use it!

looks great!
    05 WRX Wagon *SOLD*

99 Civic SI *ITR 5 Lug-16x8 Dunlop CP-R's* *SOLD*

2010 Tacoma 6-Speed *SOLD*

2007 WRB STi

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not to be a killjoy or anything, but the Injen intake is really crappy. It's not the proper size and this will throw off MAF readings. You will run lean. In tests it's also shown to be the most inconsistent during tuning of all those tested.

Here's one of those tests.
    Harman Motive Blog » 2007 STI Intake Test - Harman Motive Style
    Last edited by brfatal; 11-02-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Interesting post. I noticed it was for the 07 WRX, do you know if they have tested the 08? The tubing on this intake is the same diameter all the way thru, which makes me think Injen has corrected that issue. Also, the filter is pretty massive this time thru. As i said, I haven't driven it yet, but when i started the motor and ran it, no CEL was showing. the motor sounded the same as well.

Thank you for the link though, good read.

Proud to report that I just returned from a nice little shakedown drive (23 miles) of the car. The intake performed wonderfully. the biggest change I noticed was the sound. you now can hear the turbo spool up as well as hear the Blowoff. An addictive noise i can assure you

Besides that, I have to say that the throttle response seemed a lot tighter. I wanted to go and the car went. like a bat too. On top of that, you can hear the boxer gurgle around 3500 rpm.

As of now, No error messages, no funny noises, and no drastic fuel consumption. I did notice that the onboard fuel mpg calculator was reading about a mile per gallon better. This was with the car being run at the same RPMs it sees daily. I wont confirm or deny a fuel savings yet, as I want to calculate the tanks mathimatically when I fill up again.

Overall and at this point I am very happy with the part!

PS: The grillcraft set held up wonderfully to the drive. no rattling, movement , or vibration.

Fuel consumption update.

Having just found premium for 2.32 a gallon, I decided to fill up. With 265 miles on the tank it only took 10.3 gallons! As opposed to several tanks before where I was getting around 24.5 MPG, I am now posting 25.7 MPG. may not sound like a lot, but I will take any increase I can get. And yes, my driving style has not changed, I actually get on the car a bit more now....

Just figured I would post up some data about a highly debated mod.

Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXME View Post
    Fuel consumption update.

Having just found premium for 2.32 a gallon, I decided to fill up. With 265 miles on the tank it only took 10.3 gallons! As opposed to several tanks before where I was getting around 24.5 MPG, I am now posting 25.7 MPG. may not sound like a lot, but I will take any increase I can get. And yes, my driving style has not changed, I actually get on the car a bit more now....

Just figured I would post up some data about a highly debated mod.
    Almost proves brfatal's point, you are running lean - Less gas per same driving habits. Run a few more tanks through and then see what you are getting.

If I were you I'd have someone take some A/F ratio's with a wideband.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    Almost proves brfatal's point, you are running lean - Less gas per same driving habits. Run a few more tanks through and then see what you are getting.

If I were you I'd have someone take some A/F ratio's with a wideband.
    I plan to. If I was running lean I feel like the car would have the check engine light on. Or would that not happen? If you increase the Efficiancy of an engine, you can use less gas to go farther. That being said, Fuel savings does not alway mean a lean engine.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.