Subaru WRX Forum banner

DIY: Bugeye Painted Yellow Foglights

35K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Rambo 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I haven't seen any real "DIY" for our Bugs on how to paint our fogs yellow. I know it's a pretty straight-forward process, but I figured that since I did mine this afternoon, that I would just do a quick tutorial anyways :p

Yes, you can use Rockblocker, Lamin-X, etc., to cover and protect the fogs, but if you're like me (on a poor man's college budget) then this is a cheap and effective way to go :wiggles:

Anywho, onto the pictures. :)

BEFORE:

1). Pick up some Krylon Stain Glass paint in yellow. I finally found mine at the local Michael's, but I've also seen some online stores that carry the stuff as well.

2). (Optional) Pick up some Scotch Blue Painter's Tape to mask off the headlights (you could most likely just use regular masking tape, but I have some other projects coming up that I'll be needing this for).

3). This is optional as well, but I decided to play it safe and remove my fog's from their housings on the bumper. I know other people who have just masked off the bumped, etc. Each fog is only held in by 3 screws. Unscrew and un-plug them from their harness and take them out.

4a). Clean the lights!!! This couldn't be more important. If you want any sort of good result at all, spend some time NOW on the cleaning otherwise you'll most likely be disappointed in the end. I used some rubbing alcohol to get all of the dirt/grime/bugs/gypsies off of the glass so you have a nice, smooth surface to paint.

4b). I also used a razor blade to smooth the glass out even further (it actually does help). Just put some of the rubbing alcohol on the lens (so it's a little slick) and gently rub the blade at an angle across the glass. I then wiped all of the residue off, and re-cleaned it using the rubbing alcohol.

5). Time for masking. I first went all the way around the lens and masked off a fine line where the glass and plastic meet. I then went around and used index cards (you can use w/e you want) to protect the rest of the plastic from yellow over-spray.

**This is actually alot trickier than I had thought. The brackets made it difficult to get the cards to work with me. Next time, I think I would try maybe using newspaper or wax paper.

6). Paint time!!! I went outside and laid the fogs down on some newspaper (to avoid pissing off the apt. complex). I had to put them pretty far apart (it was a tad windy). I applied one thin, very even layer to both lights and waited for it to dry ~15 mins. I decided it needed another coat so I put another VERY thin layer on the lenses. After letting them sit in the warm sun for about 30 minutes, I brought them inside and put them in our guest bath (with the fan on to get rid of fumes) and let them dry the recommended 3 hours.

***WITH SECOND COAT (look darker than they are)

7). Reinstall the fogs and enjoy! :cool:

EDIT!!! Daylight Pics.

All this for $15.49

:D

See less See more
#5 ·
i did it, looks awesome, it really cleared up the rock spray i had all over them

#8 ·
quick question for the original poster, what lights do you have in your fogs, im buying HIDs for mine, and i dind tknow if i should do white lights or yellow?

#9 ·
Stock bulbs. Well, actually, that's a lie. They burnt out a few weeks ago so now they are the Sylvania 55W H3's.

EDIT: I don't think the yellow bulbs will do all that much. It will definitely make it very yellow. The only thing I could think of is if you were to put in, say, 4300k bulbs, that it could possibly maybe wash out the color. In the end, it's up to you. I really don't want to point you in the wrong direction, but I would probably go with yellow HID's.

#10 ·
Stock bulbs. Well, actually, that's a lie. They burnt out a few weeks ago so now they are the Sylvania 55W H3's.
hmmm... anyone know what would be best... yellow HIDs or white?

#17 ·
good looks

great DIY and the right price. I put KLIGHT 6000k HID's in my fogs a year ago and they are soooo bright it's great for where I live. I want the yellow though so how do you think this will look with such bright HID's?
Also, i purchased a DDM tuning Hi/Lo 6000K slim ballast HID kit for my headlights. I installed it (took 2 hours) and realized the "high beam" feature was simply angling the bulb up a few degree's using a motor to redirect the light. Very unhappy because I heard these bounce on the highway, I removed the lights, sent em back and took the 20% restocking fee on the $90 lights:thumbdown. I want HID's in my headlights with the high beam feature. ClubWRX, what HID kit should I look into the wont kill my wallet?

#18 · (Edited)
I would use use the kit you got for your foglights and get new bulbs to use with your high beams (you won't be able to flash anymore or leave them on for short amounts of time, it will kill your HIDS).

HIDs have NO place in foglights. It totally negates their (the fogs) purpose. Fogs don't have any sort of proper cut off because they are designed for poor weather use. The problem is that when you install these, you literally blind EVERYONE in front of your car. And in bad weather conditions, the light will even refract/reflect back at you and reduce your visibility.

There is a Lancer around here with HIDs in his fogs and you can't see a thing when he is coming towards you. Imagine staring at the sun. I want to punch him in the face every time I see his car.

Those things have no place in foglights.

#19 ·
youre the man

Thanks for the "how to" :cool:

My right side fog was submerged under water during a mini flood down here in FL :( so its not as good looking as the left one :sadwave:

Bought a new set of fogs today tho, will paint them when they arrive :)

Thanks again for the how to!

#28 ·

I'll get pics in a week. I have Yellow Lamin-x on my fogs with HIH 6000k bulbs. They look great during the day but have a greenish tint at night. Looking to get yellow HID bulbs, not sure where, what kind or how much?

ALSO: Still looking for silver eyelids that come either pre painted of that stick on (vinyl). The search continues.

-NJ all day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.