Duplicolor Wheel Paint

This is a discussion on Duplicolor Wheel Paint within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think i'm going to spray my stock wheels with some black paint until it's nice out again and I ...

Duplicolor Wheel Paint

I think i'm going to spray my stock wheels with some black paint until it's nice out again and I can buy some nice rims. I plan on using duplicolor wheel paint because it's made for wheels. I'm sort of concerned about how it's going to hold up through the winter. Also should I be using clear coat on top of that or no? I don't have my snow tires on yet either, would some of the paint on the lip come off when i get the snows put on or does it not really get harmed? I guess i'm just looking for insight from those who have used the wheel paint and lives where it snows a lot. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by FCPremixx; 09-30-2008 at 10:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    There's a lot of great how to's out there. I used the same paint. It held up really well for almost 3 years & I just painted them again. If you use a clear coat, it will make the wheels shinier. I used 3 coats of black & 2 coats of clear. The most important thing to remember is to prep the wheels correctly & take your time. I would suggest painting the rims after you get the tires swapped. Hope this helps. Click on the mods link in my sig to see my rims a little better.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Moved to Exterior and Appearance.

Interior means "inside the car", for reference.

I also had good luck with Duplicolor. It's held up for over 2 years.

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I also had good luck with Duplicolor.
    Looks good Ray.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

My bad, I thought I was in the exterior thread. So did you guys use clear coat on your wheels or is it not really needed? I know i should wait until i put my snows on but by the time they're on it's going to be too cold to paint. Will putting new tires on rip the paint of the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    If you use a clear coat, it will make the wheels shinier. I used 3 coats of black & 2 coats of clear.
    If the tire guy does it right, it shouldn't mess up the paint.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Did you have any trouble with the clear coat. I read a lot of posts on a NASIOC thread about a lot of people having bad luck with the clear. Some people said it came out really textured and "milky" looking. In your pictures they look fine to me though, you must have the right technique down. Do you suggest thin coats with the clear or thicker? Also how long should you wait after the last color coat before applying clear?

Quote Originally Posted by FCPremixx View Post
    Did you have any trouble with the clear coat. I read a lot of posts on a NASIOC thread about a lot of people having bad luck with the clear. Some people said it came out really textured and "milky" looking. In your pictures they look fine to me though, you must have the right technique down. Do you suggest thin coats with the clear or thicker? Also how long should you wait after the last color coat before applying clear?
    I had no trouble at all with the clear. The clear gets milky if you put too much on. It builds up & looks white for a bit. It usually dries ok though. It's better to do a few light coats vs doing 1 or 2 heavy coats. You need to spray the clear less than 12 hours after the last color coat. If you wait too long the clear will not look right. Allow about 10 minutes in between coats. I highly recommend painting the whole wheel, inside & out, rather than just the face. You'll need about 3 cans of color & 2 cans of clear. Good luck.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    I had no trouble at all with the clear. The clear gets milky if you put too much on. It builds up & looks white for a bit. It usually dries ok though. It's better to do a few light coats vs doing 1 or 2 heavy coats. You need to spray the clear less than 12 hours after the last color coat. If you wait too long the clear will not look right. Allow about 10 minutes in between coats. I highly recommend painting the whole wheel, inside & out, rather than just the face. You'll need about 3 cans of color & 2 cans of clear. Good luck.
    I had trouble with the clear, looked very milky. No matter how thin the coats were it still looked that way. I just stuck with the black paint (kind of a satin finish without the clear) and they have held up really well, only chip is from where I curbed them . Road salt/snow/gravel doesn't phase this paint, it holds up like a champ.

I decided to hold off on painting my wheels until i got my snow tires on. Now that it's cold out painting is kind of a concern. Do you think i will run into problems if i spray the wheels outside in a garage (40 degrees) then run the wheels inside to dry? I dont really have any other options since there isnt anywhere warm enough for me to paint them. Let me know what you guys think

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ray, I've always hated when people painted their stock wheels. Painted stockers have always played as the owner just being cheap to me. Your car is the first exception to that. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FCPremixx View Post
    I decided to hold off on painting my wheels until i got my snow tires on. Now that it's cold out painting is kind of a concern. Do you think i will run into problems if i spray the wheels outside in a garage (40 degrees) then run the wheels inside to dry? I dont really have any other options since there isnt anywhere warm enough for me to paint them. Let me know what you guys think
    I wouldn't paint anything at 40 degrees. Even if you bring the wheel inside after painting, the wheel will still be cold & possibly affect how the paint dries. Then again, my buddy just painted some engine pieces the other night when it was cold & they turned out good.
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Ray, I've always hated when people painted their stock wheels. Painted stockers have always played as the owner just being cheap to me. Your car is the first exception to that. I like it.
    Thanks.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods