Hood Scoop Grill Insert
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Grill Insert within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive been looking to get a Grill Insert for my hood scoop to reduce the amount of crap that flyes ...

Hood Scoop Grill Insert

Ive been looking to get a Grill Insert for my hood scoop to reduce the amount of crap that flyes in the scoop.

and on Subaru WRX Performance Upgrade Parts - Mach V Motorsports, they sell pre-fitted hood scoop grills for 02-03, and 06-07, but not the blob eyes.

does anyone know of any others companies besides Grill craft (which is who i think makes the ones offered on the site) that sells fitted hood scoop grills.

i do realize i could by the materials and make one myself, but id prefer to buy one fitted for the clean fit, nice look, etc...

any info would be appreciated...
    Last edited by ooWRXoo; 04-24-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    Black 2004 WRX STi - BlobEye Syndicate #200
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no EVO."
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll also reduce the amount of air that cools the IC. Do you really want to sacrifice performance for looks?
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    You'll also reduce the amount of air that cools the IC. Do you really want to sacrifice performance for looks?
    i wasnt aware that a simple grill would reduce air flow enough to reduce IC performance.
    but if you really think its a reality, ill think again before acutally doing it.
    kinda glad i havent spent any money on this type of mod yet.

by your logic, would a front bumper grill reduce air flow on my rad?
    increasing operating temps?
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

It would reduce air flow 30%-40%. I have both grillecrafts on the bumper, operating temps have not been high, im sure it may have went up a bit, but the temp gauge still stays in the middle. Air still gets in from other areas to the radiator, the IC only has the one opening, and IMO i want all the air i can get going to it, especially during hot summer days. I deal with the little dents in the fits, get a small flat head screw driver and you can bend them back if you want, also can use compressed air to blow out debris and small stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I got a grill from them for my 03 wrx but it mounts straight to the intercooler. They no longer sell them. What they have now is an insert with louvers so that air doesn't stack at the back of the scoop and only hit the back of the intercooler. I also got one of those and you can tell from the discoloration on the intercooler that there are now 2 main air flow contact points; at the back as with OEM and in the middle thanks to the insert. There's no mesh as part of the insert, so air flow isn't restricted.
    i wasnt looking for something to evenly spread the air over the IC, but more or less a mesh grill that could reduce the amount of rocks and such from flying in there.

theres a few threads on here about tilting your IC to help it get better air coverage but it doesnt seem crucial to me.

It would reduce air flow 30%-40%. I have both grillecrafts on the bumper, operating temps have not been high, im sure it may have went up a bit, but the temp gauge still stays in the middle. Air still gets in from other areas to the radiator, the IC only has the one opening, and IMO i want all the air i can get going to it, especially during hot summer days. I deal with the little dents in the fits, get a small flat head screw driver and you can bend them back if you want, also can use compressed air to blow out debris and small stones.
    dyou think a shop vac would pull out the pebbles and what not?

The loose ones, i got some out with a vacuum, a few rocks wont hurt nothing. Sure it doesnt look the best, but its a car not a show car. If it was a show car you wouldnt be driving it .

It would reduce air flow 30%-40%.
    Do you have a source for that data?
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

When I tested the temps to see the effect of having a screen in front of scoop there was about a 10*F warmer difference to IC because of screen and the temps took about 2X longer to go down to as cool as it was going to get.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    When I tested the temps to see the effect of having a screen in front of scoop there was about a 10*F warmer difference to IC because of screen and the temps took about 2X longer to go down to as cool as it was going to get.
    What kind of screen are we talking about here?

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe there is that kind of pressure drop across a coarse filter.
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcaputo View Post
    Do you have a source for that data?
    Its common sence man, that grill is going to fill alot of that hole where the air is going into. How do you figure the effects would be nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by jcaputo View Post
    What kind of screen are we talking about here?

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe there is that kind of pressure drop across a coarse filter.
    Look in my photobucket site under info... The minimum temp difference was 5*F to 6*F warmer IC but the average was around 10*F warmer IC with screen in. May not sound like much but that's about a 20% to 30% reduction in IC efficiency. Not something I would want on/for my car.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

2007 WRX HoodScoop filter

Guys,
    I get a lot of bugs on top of the I.C.
    had 2 questions:
    1: is the top of the I.C a filter itself and if it is, how can you clean it?

2: if it's not a filter, where can I get a filter for it for not letting bugs and small flying things getting inside? and is it necessary to have a filter at all?

Tweezers and a small pick to clean it out and straiten the fins every once in a while is what I do...

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question pertaining to this.
    I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatch. I would assume the end result of adding the grills would be the same on my model, yes?

Thanks, Brandi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.