"de-ghetto-ing" the front end
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on "de-ghetto-ing" the front end within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just thought I'd share some before and after pictures of the intercooler ghettoness that was on my WRX, and how ...

"de-ghetto-ing" the front end

Just thought I'd share some before and after pictures of the intercooler ghettoness that was on my WRX, and how I changed it up a bit.

Little background:
    I purchased the car with a carbon fiber hood, crush bent exhaust piping for the FMIC, and a horrible hack job done to get it all to fit behind the front bumper. It's been driving me nuts for the past month or so I've owned the car, so I finally got around to changing some of it.
    The front straight on after putting the hood on it, note how the bumper sags down in the middle:

the really high quality fitment job:

more custom cuts!

unfortunately you can't even see some of the worst parts of it very well, including the entire cut out around the FMIC is just terrible.

On to the new.....
    I put an ebay special intercooler piping kit on there, with a separate blow off valve tube ( cut out the ebay cheapness on that part), and put a Black Godspeed intercooler in there. the intercooler that replaced the old one, is about 3/4" narrower, the same length, and about 2 inches shorter top to bottom. I decided this was all perfectly fine seeing as how I'm still running the stock turbo, and this would probably reduce lag a tiny bit anyways, I spent about 2 hours just shaving the bumper down until the cuts were all straight and there were no jagged edges hanging around anymore. I then sprayed the fog light covers body color and started throwing everything back together.

here are some other pics from the other day:

I haven't snapped any closer up photos of it yet, but I'll try this weekend after I get my grill that I'm making finished up. I also sanded down all of the intercooler piping and it's all sprayed with a graphite wheel paint that looks really good.
    I'll show a few pics from under the hood before to show how horrendous it was!
    ( look at the smashed pipe so it will fit under the throttle piece!)

the blow off valve flange ( this makes me want to throw up)

and one more....

I've still got all of the piping which weighs about 4X that of the new stuff, I'll have to take some more photos of the 'custom' job they did when I get the chance.
    Thanks for listening/looking at my rant, I can't believe what some people will do to a car for no real purpose
    also, I WISH I would have taken pictures of the exhaust downpipe and muffler!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my old hood is looking perty sexay, I demand pics of the new stuff
    Last edited by Mantonienn; 12-12-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    wow ****ing sexy.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

r3x
    haha my dog can chew on something and make it look better than that did. good job, looks nice now.

I Support ClubWRX
    That is purely awful. Thank you for posting this, it reminds me to spend the extra $$$ to do it right.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I saw it and the exhaust in person lets put it this way the hks non bellmouth downpipe looked like a great buy compared to the exhaust the previous guy had on it

Looks pretty good now, before-awful.

wow and i thought the wrx i bought was ghetto rigged..looks better

thanks for the comments.
    Also, thanks Isaac for the hood swap!

I'll post an update with the grill this weekend, and some pics from under the hood.

One of the other super annoying things from before was that you could see the hideous intercooler piping/BOV area through the hood scoop, that and the re-located oversized washer fluid reservoir that was in there from a mile away.

Finally, I'm just glad to not be driving around with the thing the way it was! I was depressed looking at it the way it was, knowing what I wanted to do to clean it up and just not having the time to get it done.
    Last edited by stickyfeet; 12-12-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: doubled up a line

looks good now man
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Couple questions:

How much did you pay for it?

I spy an MBC, does it have a protune?

Pics of the downpipe?

Did you recirc the BOV?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Couple questions:

How much did you pay for it?

I spy an MBC, does it have a protune?

Pics of the downpipe?

Did you recirc the BOV?
    Well, I got the intercooler shipped for: $130
    Piping shipped for : $140
    extra 90 degree elbow :$ 22
    BOV flange pipe : $ 23.50
    TOTAL : $ 315.50

The fog light covers actually came with the car new and unused.

Here's a link to the piping I used:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...195527968&rd=1
    the little pipe they had welded in there for the BOV was a total joke, so I ordered this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...197052407&rd=1
    here's the intercooler:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=002

Also, I'm new to the whole modding scene and turbo terminology.
    by 'protune' do you mean it's actually been tuned professionally? or are you asking if it has some type of ECU piggyback/management?
    I know it's got a Dastek PROgrammer piggy back, however I don't trust the competency of whomever owned the car before exactly, as you can see they did a number on the intercooler piping and bumper so I'm sure there is plenty of fine tuning still needing to be done.
    It runs strong and hits 10Psi on the lower boost setting, and right around 16 on the higher boost setting.

As for the BOV, I'm using the Greddy one pictured in the first post. I have the pipe linked to in this post with the BOV flange attached right to the throttle body currently, with a 90 degree elbow going into the rest of the piping.
    Thoughts, critiques, suggestions are always welcomed, and I appreciate the input I've been give so far.
    Thanks!

Oh yeah, I don't have any pics of the old downpipe. I hope it's still sitting out in the scrap metal pile at work. I think it was the factory downpipe, that had been upsized into 3" with the O2 sensor welded directly in. That went into a 3" straight pipe that had one hanger all the way back to the muffler, which had a hole in the top of it that was about the size of a small basketball. It sounded like a v8 with straight pipes on it when I got it. Now it's got a 3" stainless steel turbo back exhaust on it.
    Andrew
    Last edited by stickyfeet; 12-13-2007 at 06:34 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    How much you pay for the car?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

That car must have been my only by only the finest craftsman.

Good job on fixing it look much better.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't know they built an FMIC on junkyard wars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.