Subaru WRX Forum banner

HID Install-pics & review

13K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Calvinball 
#1 ·
Just got done installing a Prolumen 35watt HID kit on my '08. It went really smooth and they look sick! I was a little nervous because retro-fits like these can come out really bad and end up blinding on-coming traffic. Luckily the stock projectors handled the light great and the cut off is nice and low. Installation was so simple. It probably took a little more then an hour to get both lights done. If your looking into installing HID's I highly recommend this kit. The guys at www.bavtoys.com were really helpful and competitively priced. Heres the pics

Blue and black wire feed into a wiring harness that plugs into the stock headlight socket. Cut a hole in the headlight cap to fit the harness inside the light housing.

Mounted the ballasts on part of the frame near the light housing using 3M double sided heavy duty tape. The ballasts are very small and fit almost anywhere

See less See more
#4 ·
You might want to waterproof your light caps though, just incase.but i am paranoid so maybe its just me :screwy: haha.
Thanks man. I siliconed around the lights caps, now I shouldn't have any problems.

did you get bulbs for your high and low beams? or just ur lows?
Just the lows. HIDs on highs will blind people if you leave them on accidently when you pass someone or if you flash someone. I don't think cars with stock HIDs have them in the highs.

#22 ·
The only cars that have an HID hi-beam are some BMWs and Infinitys that have what they call a "bi-xenon" projector.

In truth, those systems use one bulb. Because of the way that HIDs work, you can't use a different HID bulb for high beams; they take about a half second to a second to flicker on and power up. Try flashing your highs at someone while they are trying to fire up :)

The way the bi-xenon projectors work is actually pretty ingenious. There is a small solenoid that is connected to the shield (the piece of metal that creates the sharp cut-off line associated with projectors), and when you flip your hi-beams on, the shield is moved slightly, changing the light pattern on your low-beams to hi-beams. A lot of the E46s on the road are equipped with these, as well as the FX-series Infinitys.

#6 ·
Yeah the harness has to go in the housing b/c its not waterproof. The stock stocket is storred in the housing. The HID kit doesn't even really use a male socket, like the stock headlights, it's basicly two metal prongs (the harness) that u stick into the female stock stocket and then electrical tape. Having the harness in the housing protects everything.

#10 ·
i was thinkin about gettin the fog lights hids also....good idea? bad idea? what size do you think would fit in an 07 WRX wagon?

#11 ·
Now that I have HID headlights I want the fog lights to match. When I have the headlights and the fogs on together it just doesn't look right. Installation wise the fog lights don't seem that accessible though. I think you definitely would have to be under the car and I don't know if there is room to mount ballast and ignitors. This kinda sucks b/c the headlights were so easy to install. As far as the bulb size for your 07 it should be in the owners manual. Let me know if you end up getting them.

#13 ·
You screwed up with the dust caps. Head over to the dealer and pick up a new set for like 15 bucks. Drill out a hole just big enough to fit the wires through but a bit smaller than that rubber gasket thing. Use that rubber donut thing to seal everything in. It makes the whole thing like 10x cleaner and will do a good job protecting your headlight housing from water.

#24 ·
If by 'kit' you mean a set of bulbs and ballasts, then yes. Make sure they are D2S bulbs...that is the type of bulb that is made for the projectors that you have in your 07.

What kind of car was it that got wrecked? Did it have projectors or a reflector housing?

#29 ·
Yes, if you look in the manual it tells you every light type. I believe lows are H7s, highs are 9005s...fogs on a STi are D2S and on a WRX are H3s

#31 ·
Fortunately I didn't have to disable the DRLs and my HIDs work good. I know the DRLs on pervious models have been an issue with HIDs. The 08's use the high beam bulb to produce the DRL. Maybe that's why it was a non-issue for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.