18" or 17" difference in performance?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 18" or 17" difference in performance? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm kinda new to this forum and to subaru's in general. I tried to do a forum search but i ...

18" or 17" difference in performance?

I'm kinda new to this forum and to subaru's in general. I tried to do a forum search but i couldn't find an answer to this so i figured I would ask.

Is there a performance difference between 17" and 18" wheels? Like a difference in handling or anything? or do they feel similar in most aspects.

Thanks in advance!
    Osiris' little bro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    I'm kinda new to this forum and to subaru's in general. I tried to do a forum search but i couldn't find an answer to this so i figured I would ask.

Is there a performance difference between 17" and 18" wheels? Like a difference in handling or anything? or do they feel similar in most aspects.

Thanks in advance!
    only one for sure i can think of is the greater you outside diameter (of the tire) is, the slower it will accellerate due to the change in effective gearing.
    also a 20lb 17" wheel is easier to turn than a 20lb 18" wheel as the mass is further from the center in the 18" wheel

PS I'd go with 17x8's and make sure whatever wheels you get have the proper offset for their width to fit.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Yes the 17s should perform a little better. Additionally, the 17s will cost less and the tires will cost less. Go try pricing out some 17" tires and 18" tires to appreciate the difference.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Thanks, I've been thinking about this for a little while and your responses helped greatly. One thing i like about these cars is that 17" wheels actually look really really nice on them. 17's aren't that impressive on alot of cars these days but they definitely look nice on Impreza's.

Sadly i don't even have my car yet, i'm currently saving up a down payment for an 04 STi. Meanwhile i'm driving an 01 ranger =)

Just trying to get a feel for what i want to do with the car once i get it.

so far i'm thinking Black 04 STi, 20% black tint (we rarely get tint tickets in these parts), and some 17" black Rota's, not sure what style.

also as for some power, I really like the sound and style of the invidia g200 turboback system, so i'll probably do that and pick up an access port.

That's probably it besides minor things from there.
    Last edited by Meph; 09-03-2007 at 06:01 PM.
    Osiris' little bro

Thanks, I've been thinking about this for a little while and your responses helped greatly. One thing i like about these cars is that 17" wheels actually look really really nice on them. 17's aren't that impressive on alot of cars these days but they definitely look nice on Impreza's.

Sadly i don't even have my car yet, i'm currently saving up a down payment for an 04 STi. Meanwhile i'm driving an 01 ranger =)

Just trying to get a feel for what i want to do with the car once i get it.

so far i'm thinking Black 04 STi, 20% black tint (we rarely get tint tickets in these parts), and some 17" black Rota's, not sure what style.

also as for some power, I really like the sound and style of the invidia g200 turboback system, so i'll probably do that and pick up an access port.

That's probably it besides minor things from there.
    invida is a good company,
    get a catted DP to avoid boost issues unless you're planning on getting a bigger turbo.

what will the difference in hp/torque be after getting it protuned and mapped correctly with catted vs catless?

i am leaning more towards the catted just wondering if you have an idea.
    Osiris' little bro

what will the difference in hp/torque be after getting it protuned and mapped correctly with catted vs catless?

i am leaning more towards the catted just wondering if you have an idea.
    minimal, but if you upgrade the turbo at all, you'll really need catless.
    also do you have to pass emissions?

naw, there's no emmisions testing down here
    Osiris' little bro

naw, there's no emmisions testing down here
    ya i know, i'm in birmingham
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=alabama

yea, heh, posted at the same time. I don't have plans to upgrade the turbo, too pricey and it's mainly going to be a daily driver.
    Osiris' little bro

yea, heh, posted at the same time. I don't have plans to upgrade the turbo, too pricey and it's mainly going to be a daily driver.
    DD w/stock turbo get a cat. catless is louder, raspier, smells bad, is technically illegal, ETC.

nice =) are there any meets in the state occasionally? My brother used to be a mod on here and he would attend meets sorta regularly. I'm gonna have to get the car first of course lol. I'm looking on purchasing it in the next 3-4 months
    basically most meets are in the rallyX and autoX scenes, but if you ever find yourself in Bham, my name is eric and I drive an 02 Black WRX.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-05-2007 at 05:39 AM.

yea, he used to run his car is some of that stuff, also had an 02 black wrx.

His name was Osiris on here, dunno if anyone would remember him unless they've been a member for quite a while.
    Osiris' little bro

yea, he used to run his car is some of that stuff, also had an 02 black wrx.

His name was Osiris on here, dunno if anyone would remember him unless they've been a member for quite a while.
    cool, well i'm heading off, I'll catch up with you laterz

If you are set on black, I would just powdercoat the BBS wheels that come with the STi, otherwise the Rota's are going to be a bit of a downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tek-Fox View Post
    If you are set on black, I would just powdercoat the BBS wheels that come with the STi, otherwise the Rota's are going to be a bit of a downgrade.
    +1
    but i'll buy your BBS wheels if you get anything else

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.