My detailing routine (lots of pics)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My detailing routine (lots of pics) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I decided to take pics while detailing my car last night. I thought some of you may be interested. Anyway, ...

My detailing routine (lots of pics)

I decided to take pics while detailing my car last night. I thought some of you may be interested. Anyway, it took me about 7 hours, from start to finish. Obviously, I didn't take pictures of everything (like wash...). Here we go...

Gathering the parafanalia (not everything was used this time around. I used scratchX instead of Megs deep crystal step 1 paint cleaner or #9 swirl remover 2.0. Worked out awesome:

This stuff is great. Needed for the perfect shine:

everything was applied by hand. Here I am working the scratchX into the fender (and playing around with the timer on my camera) :

What it looks like after applying scratchx to the whole car, still needs polish and wax:

STEP 2. again, I applied using brand new Meguiars gold class foam applicators, wipe off excess with Megs microfiber towel or Megs terry cloth. This is what makes the color "explode":

Sealed the perfect shine after polishing with my favorite --- Megs nxt tech wax PASTE:

applied:

DONE:

pretty damn perfect:

Took a very long time and a ton of work, but well worth it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks great as always.

... Nah, I am not going to say it.

Where did the clay bar fit into the process?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I need to detail my car when its done getting fixed. Thanks for the routine your car looks great!
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Where did the clay bar fit into the process?
    After wash, before buffing (also before i broke out the camera.)

The thing is with the claybar, when I use it, it barely does anything anymore, mainly because I clean the car so much. It works best on neglected surfaces that have a ton of surface contaminants. (This time I just used it on the front end, where most of the road associated crap is, and a few select areas.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    After wash, before buffing (also before i broke out the camera.)

The thing is with the claybar, when I use it, it barely does anything anymore, mainly because I clean the car so much. It works best on neglected surfaces that have a ton of surface contaminants. (This time I just used it on the front end, where most of the road associated crap is, and a few select areas.)
    Just a few circular rubs with the bar over one area is usually all it takes (you can feel it as the resistance just fades away).

I do not have the patience or the garage you do.

Looks like you laid down that wax perfectly ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Just a few circular rubs with the bar over one area is usually all it takes (you can feel it as the resistance just fades away).

Thank you. Yes, i take a lot of care applying the wax. Many people think that its important to have a thick layer of wax, or keep applying coats, the more the better, right? Wrong. I use 1 coat usually. Its all you need. the key is to apply it EVENLY! If i ever put on a second coat, its to make sure the whole thing is even.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    Thank you. Yes, i take a lot of care applying the wax. Many people think that its important to have a thick layer of wax, or keep applying coats, the more the better, right? Wrong. I use 1 coat usually. Its all you need. the key is to apply it EVENLY! If i ever put on a second coat, its to make sure the whole thing is even.
    Quite correct. Thin and consistent is best. I tend to get a little sloppier and thicker as I get tired of waxing and buffing. 7 hours? Wow. I no longer have that much patience.
    Mods & Pics

i love threads like this, awesome job i gave mine the royal treatment a few weeks ago, but its now in need of some touch ups. all i should need is to go over it w/ some speed detailer, and perhaps another coat of carnuba. 7 hours sounds about right, and thats just for the EXTERIOR. haha. my interior is pretty scummy right now my dashboard has fur. hahaha, i really need to clean my interior this weekend

t
    Picture 13, I think it is. Is amazing looks like your looking into a mirror.

Thanks for the pics. I'm sure some would be intimidated by the 7 hour time frame.
    I usually split it up on a weekend that I don't have to drive the car.

Saturday. Wash/Dry and claybar. Then Wash/Dry again. 2 hours
    Sunday. Wax and follow up with detailing spray. 2 hours.

I've done it all in one session, but you really feel it the next day if you do a proper job.

I agree that if you keep your car clean all year and use detailing spray weekly, a clay bar may not be need on all areas of the car.

I like the fact that so many on this site care about the way their car looks as much as how it performs.

I have a special section of my garage for detailing supplies.

Most days after a little rain I wipe it down while the car is still wet, with "Turtle Wax Ultimate detailing spray" (my favorite). That way my car is always clean and ready to go the next day. I won't drive my rex dirty.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

Looks good.
    Almost the same procedure/stuff I use when I really detail my car except usually do a coat of griots carnuba wax at the end.
    Makes me wish my car was that clean right now with all the rain we've been having here its the dirtiest its ever been.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    I won't drive my rex dirty.
    + infinity. Glad to see someone's on the same page as me. (Only exception is legit snow in the winter time, because its that much fun.)

Thanks for the compliments people.

I don't drive it in the rain either, I use the family Durango. I'm also getting my own beater car before I go away to school. There is no way I'll put the car through the wear +tear /neglect /drunk college kids puking on/running across hood, etc, etc, etc, that can happen at college. (And when I get out of college, the car will have under 30k miles on it )

i wash my car only when it gets really dirty, or when im with my friends and they are washing thiers. but i must say, when it ets clean after being dirty for a while..... it awesome. i let my car get so dirty one time i forgot it was silver.....no lie haha.

but really nice job on the car. i wished and waxed mine last week and posted some pics on here.
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Change the title of this thread to "I have a frikin problem with car care cleanliness."

I have to say it does look awesome, finish product. But your car is always that clean since like you said you dont ever take it out of that garage.

Im still buying that 30 dollar "secret" wax to see how well it works.

You used the scratch x on the whole car???

Have you still been using the california blade???
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.