STi under aero bits
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi under aero bits within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; The 05+ STi's come w/ some nice under aero cladding- this helps reduce lift at speed (and evidently may even ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

STi under aero bits

The 05+ STi's come w/ some nice under aero cladding- this helps reduce lift at speed (and evidently may even help gas mileage a smidge)

Here the pieces I'm talking about

Here the parts you need

The aero pieces are

56411FE000 and 56411FE010, you'll also need 18 plastic clips (order 20 so you have a couple spares) 909130059 and two 6mm bolts 5770KC000 (I'd order four to have a coiple spares).

In addition you'll need a drill, good asst of bits including 13/64ths and 3/8ths, center punch, sharpie (red worked good), a tap for a 6mmx100, duct tape

Pics of the aero piece, plastic clips and bolts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picofsideaero.jpg   clippart#.jpg   boltpart#.jpg  
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    OK lets get started First you need the car on jack stands, the higher the better- you'll need a little elbow room. Next pick a side to start the piece are clearly marked left and right.

You start by lining the front up and sliding it into the end of the subframe- it should stay (but be hanging)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails onjackstands.jpg   piecetosubframe.jpg   subframe.jpg   aeroonsubframe.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Now orientate the rest of the piece- it should be vrey close to flush to the side- you'll see some half circles the piece fits around- this is where the duct tape comes in- get everything aligned nicely and duct the piece up so it stays up on it's own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidehalfcircle.jpg   taped up.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Now with everything carefully lines up (the piece fits amazing well to the contours of the chassis) mark the holes w/ your sharpie- I started w/ the two furthest back to get it secure.

Next you'll drill- the center punch won't do you much good on most of the holes as it's got a rubber coating underneath. The two exception are the hole drilled into the subframe and the hole that will be tapped for the bolt. Use a small bit and step up to 3/8" (the holes could probably a 64th larger- but I'd rather have them tight). The pilot hole needs to be center well for the other drilling to be accurate. I used three bits for each hole (except the tapped hole)- seemed to work good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails markfordrill.jpg   markfordrill2.jpg   fastenerin.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 01-29-2006 at 03:22 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Put a couple of clips in the rear holes, do the same for the front- it should be pretty snug and in place now. Repeat for the rest of the holes, except the one I have pictured as the 6mm bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontholes.jpg   picsideaerobottom.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    You should have nine clips in now and one remaining- you need to mark and center punch the center of the hole- use a small bit to drill a pilot and then the hole needs to be drilled to 13/64ths. You'll find your drilling through two layers of metal on this hole. After it's drilled, you'll need to tap it w/ a 6mmx100 tap. Get the tap good and straight and go slow, backing off a little every turn or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tap.jpg   tappedhole.jpg  

cool. how much did you get them for?
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I Support ClubWRX
    Now the piece should be fully installed- remove it (I know it's in already) and spray spray a little primer in each hole. Let the paint dry (go start on the other side )

That's about it- a few pics of them installed.

no under view of the finished product on your car liek the original picture?

nice write up. Now go clean your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    try that one again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails primer.jpg   installedsideview.jpg   installedfrontview.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    The side peices + harware were a little over $100 total.

I'll have a write up on the diffuser install later this week

great write-up bigsky!!! thx!!

nice write up big sky, good god your car is dirty!! i'd like to do this to my car sometime in the near future along with the rear diffuser, i'll keep this writeup in mind
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

Excellent writeup. Did you notice any difference?
    Tuned Perfection Autosports
    2005 Sti Widebody

I Support ClubWRX
    Haven't even been out of town yet- got a trip planned to the "big city" -possibly this weekend. I keep close tabs on my gas mileage- I'll be sure to monitor (and report) any differences if I see them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.