Wagon Roof Rail Removal - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wagon Roof Rail Removal within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I just checked out Subaruparts.com......It will cost 70 to ship 2 of roof mouldings. Anyone know of a cheaper option?...

I just checked out Subaruparts.com......It will cost 70 to ship 2 of roof mouldings. Anyone know of a cheaper option?
    "Well kids you tried and didn't succeed, the important thing to remember here is...... Never Try." - Homer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Cincy-Rex
    I just checked out Subaruparts.com......It will cost 70 to ship 2 of roof mouldings. Anyone know of a cheaper option?
    At first I was like, $70 ain't bad. But after going myself they want $50 each for the mouldings and another 75 for ground shipping, for a total of 175!!!! That's nuts. Wonder what the dealer would charge with no shipping...

Edit: Also, are they color coded or just black? My car is black, but still curious if these will be a paint type finish or just flat black rubber basically... Probably the latter.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT

This guy has a lot of pix of roof rail removal: http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/RoofRails.html

Y'know what would be cool? A quick release for the wagon rails- I like both looks and it'd be nice to have a way to switch back and forth.

Originally posted by OotabaJinga
    Y'know what would be cool? A quick release for the wagon rails- I like both looks and it'd be nice to have a way to switch back and forth.
    You might be able to rig something up, but I doubt it'd be secure enough to hold any real load and you'd have some exposed brackets when they were off. ...in general I'd say removing the rails is something you should do if you really hate the rail look--procedure is too invovled, otherwise.

If anyone has photos of a rail-less wagon with stock wheels and springs, or knows of any, could you post a link here? Thanks

I have an 04 wagon and really want to get rid of the roof rails. The instructions in this thread are awesome, but wondering if anyone has done this on an 04 wagon? Is it the same part number for the roof mouldings?

Also, my plan was to then place yakima or thule racks on the car if needed using the clamps for the naked wagon roof. I talked to an installer in Seattle about this, and he said that due to the growing thickness of the frame just above the windows as you move to the back of the car, you would have to mount the clamps way up to the front of the car which may look a little sillly and will limit the wieght that you can carry. Just thought I would pass that on... I am going to check in with another installer in the area and compare notes. Interested to see if anyone has done this before???

I'll probably do this mod anyway as I would only be hauling snowboards, and I could always put the single seat down and lay them in the car... and 5 people in a WRX is kind of too close for comfort.

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Well, after more inventisgation I have found that the part numbers change for the roof mouldings each model year.
    2002> FE010 & FE000
    2003> FE061 & FE071
    and then in 2004 things changed alittle because now there are two roof moulding pieces for each side.
    2004> FE041 & FE051 (front, $28 each) FE021 & FE031 (rear $45 each)
    And it sounds like the 2004 mouldings may not be what you need if you remove the racks. trying to confirm this...

I called a couple dealers in Canada, and I guess they no longer sell a 2004 2.5TS wagon without the racks, so not much help there.

If anyone has removed the roof racks yet on an 04, I would love to hear how it went and have the roof moulding part number info?

thanks

I answered my own question (about a stock wagon w/o rails) by asking a friend to do a photochop for me (she loves cats). This is what a wagon w/ stock wheels and shocks would look like, before and after:

Sorry about being in the in the photo. Those are sunglasses in my hand in the chop. I should ask her to put in a BFG or i-pod or something.. (or a dead cat)

Needs to be stickied^^.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I was wondering if anybody has found the elusive answer about the 04 roof railing removal?
    Has the 04 change that much from the 02 / 03 . . .

I would love to do this.

Chris

yep, i'm wondering too on the roof rail trim...

The good news is that Subaru still offers a rail-less wagon in Japan:

http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/sportswagon/08/01.html

So at least we know that the roof trim part still exists.

Originally posted by Dray
    Well, after more inventisgation I have found that the part numbers change for the roof mouldings each model year.
    2002> FE010 & FE000
    2003> FE061 & FE071
    and then in 2004 things changed alittle because now there are two roof moulding pieces for each side.
    2004> FE041 & FE051 (front, $28 each) FE021 & FE031 (rear $45 each)
    And it sounds like the 2004 mouldings may not be what you need if you remove the racks. trying to confirm this...

I called a couple dealers in Canada, and I guess they no longer sell a 2004 2.5TS wagon without the racks, so not much help there.

If anyone has removed the roof racks yet on an 04, I would love to hear how it went and have the roof moulding part number info?

thanks

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    bump for info on the 04

the '04's use the same trim piece. i did mine shortly after i posted. i think i have a pic on the board somewhere.

i can get the part # when i get back home tomorrow. i got mine from the dealer for ~$68 each

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Quack
    the '04's use the same trim piece. i did mine shortly after i posted. i think i have a pic on the board somewhere.

i can get the part # when i get back home tomorrow. i got mine from the dealer for ~$68 each
    Thank you kind sir! Mine are defintiely going.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast