Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fog Light Bypass - Help Me Sort This Out

6K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  rex.effect 
#1 · (Edited)
I was searching for a way to bypass the foglight so that it comes on with the parking lights and does not turn off when highbeams are turned on. Keeping the fog lamp indicator light would be a tremedous bonus. What I found were these 2 posts on scoobymods.com.
nunzio said:
i recently tried to mod the fog light wiring so that my fog lights would come on with my parking lights AND the fog light button light would also come on. After reading many different mods this is what i did:

i stripped the red/green wire coming off the switch and connected an additional wire to it, which i ran to the orange wire behind the fuse box.

i cut the yellow/blue wire a few inches from the switch and connected the switch side of the wire to a ground - leaving the other cut piece unattached.

this mod DID seem to work for awhile (about 15 mins) but then it just stopped working - the only thing i guess could have happened is that maybe one of my connections came lose? or i just didnt do it correctly.

any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

thanks.

btw: i am talking about a 2004 WRX
The Response:

AngelFire91 said:
I just recently did this mod as well, and ran into a problem of blowing the Main Box #7 fuse ("Lighting SW") whenever I would hit the Highbeams either with the fogs on or not. After looking through the schematics of the headlights system I found that the Red/Green wire that you spliced into runs up to the Highbeam Relay then Y's and goes through the Highbeam Switch, when the high beams come on the switch grounds the Red/Green wire causing a short, hence the fuse blowing. So what I had to do was bypass the Red/Green wire all together;

I'm not sure how you have your's set up so I'll try to walk through it like I think you did it.

Cut the R/G wire on the back of the Foglight switch after the point you spliced into it, leave enough room for you to splice another wire into it. You will also need to cut the R/G wire on the back of the Relay with enough room to splice into it. Run a Wire directly from the R/G on the back of the switch to the R/G on the back of the relay. Totally bypassing the R/G going up into the wiring under the dash. Tape or cap the ends of these wires, put a new 20Amp fuse in and give it a try
My problem is that I am usure exactly what they are trying to say. Taking out the BS, here is what I believe they are saying to do:

1. Strip the Red/Green wire coming off the switch and connect an additional wire to it, which will be ran to the Orange wire behind the in-cabin fuse box.

2. Cut the Red/Green wire on the back of the Foglight switch after the point you spliced into it, leaving enough room for you to splice another wire into it.

3. You will also need to cut the Red/Green wire on the back of the Relay with enough room to splice into it.

4. Run a wire directly from the Red/Green on the back of the switch to the Red/Green on the back of the relay. Totally bypassing the Red/Green going up into the wiring under the dash.

5. Cut the Yellow/Blue wire a few inches from the switch and connect the switch side of the wire to a ground - leaving the other cut piece unattached.

6. Tape or cap the ends of these wires.

Is this what they are saying to do, or should one of my steps be eliminated? Also, where in line does the fuse need to go?

Thanks In Advance,

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok, I have done everything as I have stated above. The fog lights stay on when only the parking lights are on, when the regular driving lights are on, and the switch shows the illumination indicator when the fog lights are active. The problem is that the fogs still turn off when the high beams are turned on. How do I correct this?

#9 ·
Which freakin orange wire???

where is it located?

i have everything done but that and i cant figure out which wire it is...

HELP... lol this is pissing me off

#5 ·
#6 ·
Ok, I changed all my fuses and started over. In the end, the way it had to be done for MINE, was to go with the steps I had in my original post. Thanks to all who tried to help me on this and good luck to anyone who tries this in the future :D

#7 ·
UPDATE: I went out for a spin tonight and when i got back I realized that my parking lights were constantly on. No matter what I did with the switches, then stayed on. Not wanting to mess with it again, I just yanked the fuse under the hood and went inside.

Does anyone actually have the schematic for the headlamp/fog light system? I would love to know what each of these wires I was directed to splice together do. I know the Orange is supposed to be the Illumination lead.

Thanks,

#8 ·
I have never been so happy that I am a noob until now. I was laying in bed last night when I realized the parking light switch on the steering coloum may have still been on. sure enough, when I went out there this morning, I say the switch was on. I replaced the fuse and turned of the switch and they went out. :baaa:

#10 ·
i don't have my rex anymore, so i can't go out and look for you. i also did this mod a year ago, so the schematic is not fresh in my mind. i will try to get into my friends 02 wrx and see if i can find the wire and take a pic for you.

#13 ·
check all your connections again. make sure they are all tight and are on the correct wires. i thought i had mine right the first 4 times, but i always had a wire in the wrong place, or a bad connection. as i said, i wish i could just go outside and look for ya :(

#14 ·
fog lights with piaa bulbs, and me LED parking lights...

i got it working, the problem was when i turn on my Hi beams it blows the parking light fuse... i can live without my Hi beams but i would like to figure it out...

#15 ·
i had that problem, too. i wish i could remember what i did to fix it so i could help you out. when i was done with this DIY, i had fogs that stayed on as long as i had on the low beams. they did not turn off with the highbeams. they would come on with just the parking lights, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.