Wax won't come off
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wax won't come off within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I waxed my car like a month ago, but there's a little bit of wax on my stubby rubber In ...

Wax won't come off

I waxed my car like a month ago, but there's a little bit of wax on my stubby rubber In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it's an antena for the radio that I put on to save me from the embarassment of manually pulling out the antena everytime I listen to the radio...but I digress.

The problem is that I kind of left the wax on the antena for a whole month because I'm...well...stupid I guess. Now, it won't come off. Any ideas as to what I can use to get this stuff off. I don't want to use goo gone or goof off since I'm not sure whether or not it'll damage my paint. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: oops, I totally thought I was in the exterior and appearance forum. My bad If any of the moderators for this forum can move it for me, I'd be much obliged. Thanks
    Last edited by WRXin'; 10-27-2002 at 11:00 PM.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A great way to remove wax is with rubbing alcohol- try putting some on a rag and wiping it on the antenna- hope this helps.

first try alcohol on a part you dont see, cause alcohol usually discolors parts like rubber and plastic moldings. make it have a whitish color.

edit:
    if it does discolor, you can put some Black Magic spray on it.
    Last edited by TeamShiftPoint; 10-28-2002 at 10:53 AM.
    http://go.to/TeamShiftPoint
    William Mai william@teamshiftpoint.com
    --TurboXS UTECS and other TXS parts.
    --Bride and Recaro racing seats
    --APEX'i, Blitz, HKS & GReddy Exhausts, RS*R / Invidia
    --All TEIN Suspensions special pricing.

Alcohol and Black Magic spray are both terrible for you car's rubber/plastic/vinyl parts. Alcohol will dry things out and cause them to crack in addition to the discoloring, and Black Magic contains silicon, which is a no no when it comes to detailing a car.

-joe

Why is silicone a no-no?
    "The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts... attitudes... prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to The Twilight Zone."

Best Regards,
    Ah Clem

Silicon based products, if they get on any part that may need painting in the future, make it virtually impossible to make paint stick to that item. The silicon gets impregnated into the surfaces that it comes in contact with. So basically, you want something that sits on the surface, not something that gets incorprated into the surface. This is why bodyshops are silicon-freee product environments, or should be. I also beleive that silicon helps to rot rubber and vinyl, especially on tires,but I am not sure of the exact details on this. Also, silicon based products make your tires very unsafe as far as grip goes if you are too liberal with the spray. I am sure there are some good essays online, I just cant seem to find any right now.

-joe

remember wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off..
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

So wait- he's got a little black rubber thingy instead of a metal antena- like a VW? Is the signal as good? Where can I pick one up? Easy install?

thanks!

Rick

Originally posted by Nexus6
    remember wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off..
    HAHAHA...you dork

Originally posted by 2003Platinum
    So wait- he's got a little black rubber thingy instead of a metal antena- like a VW? Is the signal as good? Where can I pick one up? Easy install?

thanks!

Rick
    TeamShiftPoint(William) did the install for me. I forget how long it took...do you remember William? The signal is better than ever...okay so maybe it's the same, but it looks cool I picked it up from a random guy. William saw a guy selling it on a different forum, and the dude happened to be passing through Houston. Got it for $30...not to shabby. Not sure where else you can get it from.
    Fahd

Pics please!

If anyone knows where I can pick up one let me know.

thanks!

Rick

Originally posted by 2003Platinum
    Pics please!

If anyone knows where I can pick up one let me know.

thanks!

Rick
    i dont know where to get them anymore, the only ones i see are the fake comestic stick on ones.

My cool new antena
    http://go.to/TeamShiftPoint
    William Mai william@teamshiftpoint.com
    --TurboXS UTECS and other TXS parts.
    --Bride and Recaro racing seats
    --APEX'i, Blitz, HKS & GReddy Exhausts, RS*R / Invidia
    --All TEIN Suspensions special pricing.

After thoroughly cleaning, if it is still white, use peanut butter.

Damn nice pics. Thanks! Definitly looked like a scary install though- but in the end well worth it.

rick

Originally posted by Retro
    After thoroughly cleaning, if it is still white, use peanut butter.
    Peanut butter...are you serious? Or do you want to laugh at me when I try it and nothing happens I heard Simple Green should work.
    Fahd

PNG
    Simple Green is a degreaser, so it may cause problems. Peanut butter contains (you guessed it) peanut oil, which can act as a solvent and soften up the wax residue.

I used to work for a company that made a high-end line of car appearance products. Our paste wax had a very high carnauba content, and as a result, if you didn't polish it out within a short time of it hazing, you'd need scotchbrite to rub the hardened wax off. Unless, of course, you did the totally counterintuitive thing and put on some more fresh wax in little sections... The new wax softens the hardened wax, and then you can buff it out.

BTW, this is why putting two coats of wax on a car is a total waste of time... applying the second coat softens the previous coat, and you end up with the same "thickness" of residual wax when you buff it out the second time anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.