What is wrong with my car? My paint looks dull...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on What is wrong with my car? My paint looks dull... within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2005 STI and I noticed this today after I finished washing my car. It looks like the ...

Angry What is wrong with my car? My paint looks dull...

I have a 2005 STI and I noticed this today after I finished washing my car. It looks like the paint is dull... not shinny like it should be. Kinda looks like its because of a layer of oil or something... any ideas?

See the lines?

SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Zaino?
    2005 CGM STi

what do you wash with? when is the last time you waxed?
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    I am by no means a professional, but it looks like you have swirl marks of some sort, probably from a bad buffing job or something..just my .02 hope it helps
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

what do you dry your car with? make sure that your towels don't make acrylic scratches...because at my work (waterway) we have damp towels that aren't suppose to scratch you car. I think waxing your car will make things good again.
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

The thing is that I didn't wax my car... I simply washed it with Meguiars Classic soap (I think that's what its called) using a sponge and dried it with those special absorbent towels. Last time I waxed my car was probably a month ago... and the thing is that the lines are only noticeable with direct sunlight and from a certain angle. If you look at it straight or at night, you can't see anything. I usually ALWAYS wash my own car and I am super anal... however, I always take my car to my local carwash for waxing (where I know a trusted guy that ALWAYS does the job for me)... but could it be that the marks are from the waxing???

I Support ClubWRX
    thats what it looks like to me... make sure your detailer uses clean, pref. new pads whenever he touches your baby..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber
    thats what it looks like to me... make sure your detailer uses clean, pref. new pads whenever he touches your baby..
    How can I fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by thsiaoo
    How can I fix it?
    claybar (mothers is what i use ... found at most auto parts stores... be sure to lubricate)

polish (to get rid of swril marks... use a scratch and swril remover and do a lot of buffing)

wax (protect the last two steps you just spent three hours doing)

use cloth that wont scratch again when you wash and dry (protect the ... blah blah)

(this is what i would do/did)
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

I'll take it for a wax tomorrow and ask my local carwash what they can do about it... and see how it looks after that... and if the problem persists, I guess I'll have to try the claybar/polish/wax by myself .

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

http://www.autopia.org

You can find lots of information on how to make your car shine on this site.
    The only thing certain about the future is uncertainty....

I went to Kragen today and bought the following:

New terry cloth towels, new sponges, Meguiar's scratch removal, Meguiar's NXT, a microfiber polishing towel, pads...

I'll try washing my car tomorrow and use the scratch removal and NXT to see how it turns out... I'm kinda lazy today . BTW, its weird that the marks are ONLY visible under direct sunlight and at certain angles... with no direct sunlight, you can't see anything.

New terry cloth towels, new sponges, Meguiar's scratch removal, Meguiar's NXT, a microfiber polishing towel, pads...

I'll try washing my car tomorrow and use the scratch removal and NXT to see how it turns out... I'm kinda lazy today . BTW, its weird that the marks are ONLY visible under direct sunlight and at certain angles... with no direct sunlight, you can't see anything.
    that is how most imperfections in paint are seen. It is usually hard to tell if a car has swirl marks by looking directly at it or not in direct sunlight. Flourescent (sp) light can also bring out imperfections in your paint..
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

I Support ClubWRX

It might have something to do w/how fine the "scratches" are in the paint . It looks like they are pretty fine, and probably only refract light at certain angles under certain lighting conditions
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

I stopped washing my car with a sponge because I got the same pattern of light scratches. Now I use small terrycloth towels with ordinary car wash soap. I think an automotive glaze such as 3M Imperial hand glaze will fill in the scratches so you can hardly see them. The glaze does not actually remove the scratches but it makes them pretty much invisible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast