ok...take back EVERYTHING i said about my car for the past 6 months (BELT TENSION)

This is a discussion on ok...take back EVERYTHING i said about my car for the past 6 months (BELT TENSION) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i'm changing the oil tonight, and as i turn on the car to let it idle and get the ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

ok...take back EVERYTHING i said about my car for the past 6 months

so i'm changing the oil tonight, and as i turn on the car to let it idle and get the oil moving, i notice a weird sound comming from near the alternator. i look down and...."HOLY crap!!" the bolt to one of the smaller pulleys was somewhat loose, and the tension in the belts had tilted the pulley upwards, oh, say about 15-20 degrees!!!! yikes! it was rubbing up agains that thing that held it to the other pulley. so i turned off the car, tightened the bolt so the pulley would be aligned (damn near stripped the bolt in the process) and wow, the car runs amazingly smooth now

i took it for a test drive, and i noticed a couple of significant changes

1. the car revs faster - the throttle response is quicker than before
    2. the car doesn't vibrate anymore; before, it would be vibrate and shake alot under idle, as would the engine block - now its perfectly still (until i press on the gas, of course)
    3. less hesitation under acceleration, and smoother upshifts and downshifts - it feels like i did the grounding mod all over again hehe. forget about what i said about the grounding wires not doing anything - it must've been the pulley that was messing everything up.
    4. remember that damn a/c im always complaining about? well now, the a/c stays on all the time (or at least significantly moreso) and doesn't turn off when i'm at a stoplight or under hard revs

honestly, it feels like a whole new car again - everything improved....or at least its back to the way it was when i first installed everything (cause i bet that the pulley became loose overtime, so i didn't really notice the deterioration until now)
    i fixed my car...woohoo!!!!!

-Robert
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Glad you caught that loose bolt before it became a real problem. Grats on having a "new" car!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Arrow

All members: when installing a pulley TENSION THE BELTS

Check them a dozen times according to the MANUAL.

This is no joke, if PK drove his car like that much longer serious engine damage would have almost CERTAINLY occured.

!!!

-Jim