ok...take back EVERYTHING i said about my car for the past 6 months (BELT TENSION)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ok...take back EVERYTHING i said about my car for the past 6 months (BELT TENSION) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i'm changing the oil tonight, and as i turn on the car to let it idle and get the ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

ok...take back EVERYTHING i said about my car for the past 6 months

so i'm changing the oil tonight, and as i turn on the car to let it idle and get the oil moving, i notice a weird sound comming from near the alternator. i look down and...."HOLY crap!!" the bolt to one of the smaller pulleys was somewhat loose, and the tension in the belts had tilted the pulley upwards, oh, say about 15-20 degrees!!!! yikes! it was rubbing up agains that thing that held it to the other pulley. so i turned off the car, tightened the bolt so the pulley would be aligned (damn near stripped the bolt in the process) and wow, the car runs amazingly smooth now

i took it for a test drive, and i noticed a couple of significant changes

1. the car revs faster - the throttle response is quicker than before
    2. the car doesn't vibrate anymore; before, it would be vibrate and shake alot under idle, as would the engine block - now its perfectly still (until i press on the gas, of course)
    3. less hesitation under acceleration, and smoother upshifts and downshifts - it feels like i did the grounding mod all over again hehe. forget about what i said about the grounding wires not doing anything - it must've been the pulley that was messing everything up.
    4. remember that damn a/c im always complaining about? well now, the a/c stays on all the time (or at least significantly moreso) and doesn't turn off when i'm at a stoplight or under hard revs

honestly, it feels like a whole new car again - everything improved....or at least its back to the way it was when i first installed everything (cause i bet that the pulley became loose overtime, so i didn't really notice the deterioration until now)
    i fixed my car...woohoo!!!!!

-Robert
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Glad you caught that loose bolt before it became a real problem. Grats on having a "new" car!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Arrow

All members: when installing a pulley TENSION THE BELTS

Check them a dozen times according to the MANUAL.

This is no joke, if PK drove his car like that much longer serious engine damage would have almost CERTAINLY occured.

!!!

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.