Anyone come from an RSX to WRX?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyone come from an RSX to WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If so, I would appreciate your comparison as I currently drive an RSX and for my next vehicle it will ...

Anyone come from an RSX to WRX?

If so, I would appreciate your comparison as I currently drive an RSX and for my next vehicle it will either be a WRX or another RSX. Is the WRX really worth the higher price tag than the Type S?
    "Death is cetain, Life is not"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

YES!

as ive said before on the boards I had a 2002 Desert Silver Metallic RSX 5MT w/ Leather. I loved that car, she was my first car and i babied her for the 3 years that i had her. Im not even going to really mention performance, since you already know the WRX will destroy any stock RSX-S. but i will say this, i never got my car to give me whiplash when i went full throttle above 3000rpms! (nor a Type S).

Interior:
    the car fits 4 people comfortably, no more backseat drivers w/ no headroom. the rex comes w/ a passthrough for ski's or long objects (seats dont fold down, only downside). the driver and passenger seats are identical to the STi, except they arent blue. they are as comfortable as the RSX (tho the RSX had stock Recaro's). oh and the cloth is nice, its got a box weave design. looks very upscale, not econobox like the cloth seat RSX. Both cars have stock Momo steering wheels so thats the same. BUT, the belt line of the car allows me to rest my elbow on the window sill and have my hand resting right on the steering bulge, unlike the RSX where i was towards the horizontal spoke of the wheel (not safe, WRX better). The interior of the 2005 WRX is a LOT better than the 2002 - 2004, Saab designed the interior and uses the same one in their 9-2x (WRX wagon w/ saab looks). I have said it before, the 05 WRX interior is superior to the RSX. the RSX's interior was completely molded plastic w/ some nice texture. the only good part of the RSX interior was the gauges (which are now an ugly white), HVAC knobs, and the air vents always interested people. the WRX has a chrome tipped e-brake like the 05 RSX.

Tranny:
    The shifter on the RSX was nicer than the WRX. thats true. to a point. the RSX's transmission was smooth as butter (well minus the 2nd gear knotch). I could shift the RSX w/ my fingers, and while thats great for feel, it sucks when you instinctly do that but clutch fast and GRRRKKRRR (u grind). the WRX's feels a bit odd, but get the STi short shifter option and that clears up. and you get used to the pattern fast (3rd is slightly off center). this different transmission takes a bit more force and makes u get a good grip and shift correctly. Also, driving the car is a bit different when you want to race. drive up to redline, dump the clutch and shift to 2nd fast and ull hear a bang noise from the back and feel the car pause. this is a different beast from our FWD RSX's. the car has so much power that you need to shift smoothly instead of lightening fast (yes u can shift fast, but dont dump the clutch, u have to hold it for like one extra tick). but you get used to this.

Drivetrain:
    AWD > FWD enough said.

Exterior:
    I'll admit, im not gonna be picking up as many chicks as i did w/ the RSX. but guess what, its also never gonna be mistaken for a chick car either. i hated that about the RSX. so many girls drive auto RSX's that its getting to be like a Celica. But, car enthusiasts will respect the rex, i get so much attention from people cause of the car. and if you really need a car to get a girl than u have other problems. (not that u do)
    But the car has a rally car look, and i like it. the rims are the same as the Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe (tho they have 17's), and stock rims are rarely any good (tho i loved the RSX rims). its not that much longer than the RSX and i love the hood scoop (i got the Premium Package which comes w/ spoiler, sunroof, heated mirrors, and windshield de-icer (heats up your wipers...works really well in snow))

Cost: (MSRP)
    Acura RSX-S: $24,000 or so?
    Acura RSX 5MT w/ L, Fogs: $22,000 (my car...$275/month, 39m lease, $3k down)

Subaru WRX 5MT w/ Prem Pkg: $26,890 + Boost Gauge + ShortShifter = $27,740

I PAID: $24,850 ($850 upfront + $3000down) = $267/m, 39m lease (cheaper than my RSX)

ITS WORTH IT!
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 01-02-2005 at 10:43 AM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's a tough one,and although a lot of it comes down to personal preferences,I sold an Integra Type R to get my WRX and have not regretted it for an instant.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I had a type s, loved the car and it was pretty quick with just a few mods (intake and hondata). I think that a modded rsx-s would take a stock wrx on the highway, but from a stop there would be no comparison. The rsx is a more refined car and nicer looking IMO, but with a kid on the way and Illinois winters, compromises were made and I bought a WRX. Can't really say which one I like more, but the WRX is way more practical. Its great in all conditions, where the RSX sucked major in the snow and rain. Plus the transmission in the RSX grinded horribly when shifting at high rpms. On second thought I will say the WRX is my fav.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Oh and thanks DownxSh1ft for the lengthy comparison. You guys new exactly what you had last (including the Type R example) and not seem to regret the WRX. I guess I'll keep on test driving the two every once in a while. I am really leaning toward the WRX though. The torque and AWD in the WRX certainly makes the car less fatiguing to drive and has confidence in what it does, but the transmission (even with the notchiness) and top end of the RSX is a pleasure. Thanks again.
    "Death is cetain, Life is not"

definetly check em both out, see which fits you the best. Oh and i forgot to add to my cost analysis that my RSX was for 12,000mi/year and my WRX lease is for 15,000mi/year and its still cheaper than the RSX lease. You can get really good deals on the WRX. ive seen $21,500 for w/o the premium package.

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    ok lets get down and dirty about the facts:

Acura RSX Type S - 2.0L, 210hp @ 7800 rpm, 4 cylinder, 143 ft-lbs of torque @ 7000 rpm FWD

AND OF COURSE THE WINNER......

Subaru WRX - 2.0L, AWD, 227hp @ 6000 rpm, turbo 4 cylinder, 217 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm

enough said......

BTW: HEY DRIFT WHERE IN MASS DO U LIVE???

<~~ Boston

why
    I went from an 02 RSX Type-S with the infamous Hondata #4 and an intake. My wife and I traded that car because she was pregnant and we "needed" a 4-door. The back seats in the RSX are just there to call it a 4 seater, it would have even been difficult to get a baby-seat in there.
    We now have a 04 WRX wagon, 5 spd. We have had this car for about a year and 3 mos. I could not be happier with the car. It has a lot of room inside. We took a trip this summer with the baby and were able to get the stroller, two suit cases, a folding playpen and of course the carseat in there. This would have been impossible with the RSX. Even with the seats down.

As far as performance I did not waste any time adding the intake and flashing the ECU in the RSX. It just seemed to be a little less performance than I expected in stock form. Once the Hondata was added to the car, it really woke it up. I was happy over-all with the performance of the car. As for the WRX, it is still stock. The stock performance has been able to keep me happy this long. Which is pretty rare for me. Actually I just finally ordered an up-pipe and DP for it. I would say the typical RSX can hang with a RSX from a roll argument is tru, well at least a RSX with Hondata could. From a dig I would be very surprised to see a WRX lose to a RSX, but anything could happen. The difference in torque in the two cannot be made up no matter what you do to the RSX. It is still a high-revving Honda motor with nexto to no torque. As D0WNxSH1FT mentioned the shifter in the RSX was much better that the WRX. The WRX could use help in this department.

As far as the interior is concerned, I agree that the RSX is more refined. That being said, I prefer the interior of the WRX at this point, mainly because I wouldn't mind throwing my kid in the back and having them spill something. The newer WRX's have really nice interiors IMO.

Purchasing expereince, the Acura dealership were a bunch of pompus *******s. The Subaru dealership in my area is great. They actually encourage performance. I stopped by there to buy a bike-rack one day and they had a dyno set up in the parking lot,, I couldn't believe it. Mean while, the Acura dealership gave me hell for an intake. I would never buy another Acura again because of the treatment I received from their dealership and that's sad.

PS- get the wagon.
    2004 WRX wagon

I never had the RSX but use to run the message forums over at forums.clubrsx.com (administrator) before I resigned due to time constraints at my career.

I have a lot of friends over there but chose the WRX over the RSX for its better potential and capabilities. I hung around a lot of RSX's going to all the meets before buying my WRX but didnt want to buy an upgraded Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex
    I never had the RSX but use to run the message forums over at forums.clubrsx.com (administrator) before I resigned due to time constraints at my career.
    What was your screen name on CRSX?

Its CFar. I left aug 03 when I went into the academy.

Chris Farber?

I was wondering what happened to you. You had a civic back then right?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpaint2004
    ok lets get down and dirty about the facts:

Acura RSX Type S - 2.0L, 210hp @ 7800 rpm, 4 cylinder, 143 ft-lbs of torque @ 7000 rpm FWD

AND OF COURSE THE WINNER......

Subaru WRX - 2.0L, AWD, 227hp @ 6000 rpm, turbo 4 cylinder, 217 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm

enough said......

BTW: HEY DRIFT WHERE IN MASS DO U LIVE???
    couldnt be better put... im thinking of moving on from my bmw to a wrx....

David

Close enough, thats me. My carreer now is too time consuming to continue that but I sometimes go over and see whats happening. What was your name over there? Did I ever meet you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.