Just passed OH Emissions Check!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just passed OH Emissions Check! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok fellas, I just got back from getting my 2002 WRX Sedan E-Checked here in the state of Ohio. We ...

Just passed OH Emissions Check!

Ok fellas, I just got back from getting my 2002 WRX Sedan E-Checked here in the state of Ohio. We have the ODB-II diagnostic scan procedures in place, so a sniffer test is not needed any longer.

My exhaust mods:
    1. ScoobySport catless Uppipe
    2. ScoobySport catless Downpipe
    3. Stock Midpipe cat was in place.
    4. ScoobySport single tip muffler.

My testing prep procedures:
    1. Go out to my car and turn ignition to ON position.
    2. Use AccessPORT to "Read CEL Codes". There were no trouble codes found.
    3. Then I used the AccessPORT to "Reset ECU". It displayed that the CELs were cleared.
    4. Use the AccessPORT to flash the "Realtime Map" of Stage2/93 Oct onto the ECU.
    5. Started the car and drove 15 minutes to my E-check location. I didn't drive all out speed because it was quite residential and many stoplights, but I got on it whenever I could.
    6. Arrived at the E-Check location and sat for about 10-15 minutes with my car idling.

Ohio E-Check Testing Procedures (as of 7/31/2004):
    1. Your car is scanned via a bar code scanner on the driver's door to pull your VIN and thus all the info about your specific vehicle.
    2. Next, your vehicle is pulled forward and an ODB-II scan is run on the port directly beneath your steering wheel.
    3. My car synced with the ODB-II scanning tool, but provided a "Not Ready" signal. (You can research this on your own, but basically something in the AccessPORT mapping didn't work as Trey from Cobb had promised!)
    4. The techs re-tried the ODB-II scan after a manager had to come over and authorize the 2nd test. It failed again with a "Not Ready" signal again.
    (Can you sense I was scared at this point??)
    5. They then resulted in running the "sniffer" test. Of course, I'm AWD, and they don't have a 4-wheel dyno, so they just do an idling sniffer test.
    6. Well folks, I still passed even with only the stock midpipe catalytic converter. Hopefully this is helpful to all of you with the same (or similar) setup to me!

I'll scan the difference between my STOCK E-check and my recent MIDPIPE ONLY E-check for all to analyze and enjoy!

Have a great weekend, I will!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Old E-Check Certificate (with stock full exhaust - 5,000 miles on the car):

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

New E-Check Certificate (with 37,000 miles on the car):

2002 WRX Mods:

good to know. i don't have to go for an Echeck for a while on my WRX.

From what i know/read, if you reset the ECU, it take a few cycles (on/off) for the sensor to read "Ready"

did they look for cats?
    Last edited by Quack; 07-31-2004 at 09:32 AM.

No, they didn't do any visual inspection for cats whatsoever.

2002 WRX Mods:

Thank you for doing your share to clean Ohio's air!

I don't think you needed to reset the ECU, and that might actually be what caused the "not ready" status. They do it that way on purpose, to keep people from clearing the CEL codes right before they come in for the inspection. I don't remember how long you have to wait (or how many miles) before the not ready status clears.

Wade-O

I think you are totally right. For everyone who reads this thread in the future, I think you SHOULD NOT reflash your ECU just before you go to get an E-check. I'm fairly positive that's why I got the "not ready" signal.

I'll talk to Cobb on Monday morning and try to come up with some definitive answer about this. I'll post back with my results and we'll make a DIY for passing Emissions with just the midpipe stock cat!

2002 WRX Mods:

it's not the reflash that causes the "not ready" condition, it's clearing the codes (when there were no codes) that caused it.

i think it's 3 drive cycles before the sensor reads "Ready"

That's what I meant by "reflash". I should have said "You don't want to "reset your ECU" with the AccessPORT just prior to going to get your E-check".

2002 WRX Mods:

I think you may have a valid point though, at least about COBB misadvertising this feature. I remember when I was considering the AccessPort that one of the key features was that you could check and clear DTC's without erasing the ECU's learned parameters and causing the not ready status. I'd have to go back and read it again to be sure, but you might ask for further clarification if/when you talk to them.

it's not that the Cobb causes the "not Ready" you can use a stand alone OBDII reader to clear the codes and will get the same message until the cycles have been met.

Originally posted by Quack
    it's not that the Cobb causes the "not Ready" you can use a stand alone OBDII reader to clear the codes and will get the same message until the cycles have been met.
    Exactly, COBB was advertising that their "code reader" was better, because it DIDN'T do that. I've used my code puller to clear my CELs frequently, and it always pissed me off that the ECU had to relearn after I did that. Usually by the time it relearned, it would throw the CEL again, and the cycle would repeat. That was a major reason I was interested in the AccessPort. So I'm not saying that the AccessPort actually caused the not ready status, I'm saying it didn't PREVENT that status, ie it did nothing differently from how a regular code puller would do it (apparently).

it depends on how you read it:
    "To add even more useful functionality, we’ve added a feature that allows you to read and clear check engine lights. All the Subaru specific codes as well as standard OBD2 codes are read. When you clear it, it simply clears the fault code -- not the memory which would erase any learning your ECU’s done."

the way that i read it is that the ECU doesn't have to re-learn the Ignition Advance Multiplier, because some people clear the MIL/CEL by disconnecting the battery.
    Last edited by Quack; 07-31-2004 at 03:17 PM.

I threw a couple codes a few weeks ago at the emmisions place. The guy working there told me what the codes were and told me to "be sure to drive the car for a few days before you come back for the test". Basically hinting around that you cannot clear codes just before testing.
    Rearranged 2002 WRX

The Mods List

It is a part of the OBDII federal mandate that the IM flags ("ready" or "not ready" or "failed") are automatically reset to "not ready" when DTCs are cleared. That is one of the main reasons alot of states are switching to OBD scan emissions testing. The drive cycle criteria to run the individual tests must all be met so the ecu can run the tests and set the flags again.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast