Subaru WRX - ABS Problems? NHTSA/ODI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX - ABS Problems? NHTSA/ODI within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got this in the mail yesterday. "The Office of Defects Investigation is examining ABS brake performance issues on Subaru ...

Subaru WRX - ABS Problems? NHTSA/ODI

I got this in the mail yesterday.

"The Office of Defects Investigation is examining ABS brake performance issues on Subaru WRX's. If you are having problems with your ABS, you are supposed to contact these folks in this image:"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails subaru wrx abs defects.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Once im home from school I may just call that. The ABS on our cars is obviously flawed, its just hard to reproduce.

The issue seems to present itself when you are in a full-lock ABS-stop, then while stopping hard you hit a small bump or object. Its like the brakes release, and you keep flying foward untill you release the pedel and push it again.

...The feeling of having your brakes just let go no matter how hard you push isn't a nice one.

yea i need to test this out and see if my abs is messed up, i am use to relying on it if i have to stop suddenly.

what sort of problems are people experiencing with the ABS?

When you hit a bump while hard on the brake, it will feel like it is not working or may be it is not working

It's very unnerving when you do it the first time. I've gotten used to it.

my abs seems to get triggered unneccessarily at times...such as when I hit a small bump while braking moderately if that's what you mean.

I've never had them fail, and hope they never will, but the abs does seem a bit overactive.

That would be it dome. It is very sensitive.

One day I was coming down my favorite mountain road.. coming into a marked 30mph turn, I was doing about 80. I started to brake before the turn, touched a road reflector or something and the ABS kicks in and it makes it like I have hardly any brakes at all. Oh yeah.. this turn.. no guardrail.. no fence... I'd have to wish for a James Bond downhill ski attachment or something. That was a scary couple seconds... but as others have said.. off the brakes, back on, and be very greatful that these cars can lay into a corner as well as they do because I took that one just a wee bit faster than I intended

One of these days I'l going to put a switch on the ABS fuse so I can turn that crap off.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just called the guy and left a message. I've learned how to anticipate the bahavior of the brakes and lift off slightly if I'm braking on choppy road...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

hm i havent noticed this . but i have a 2004 is it still problem with this year?
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

I think I could reproduce the ABS problem ANY DAY. Just find a piece of uneven dry pavement, roll up on it doing at least 15MPH and press the brakes.
    2003 WRX 5MT sedan

Originally posted by WRXTwiztid
    hm i havent noticed this . but i have a 2004 is it still problem with this year?
    I have an 04 as well, and I have the problem.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dome
    [B]my abs seems to get triggered unneccessarily at times...such as when I hit a small bump while braking moderately if that's what you mean.

I have the same problem, coming down this steep hill on my way home from class if i have to brake at all for the light my stupid car will have the abs kick in and its all rough and i Don't slow down.

Also to add... the ABS on my WRX is nowhere near as touchy as it was on either of my previous vehicles, but they were both trucks. Add to that that the WRX gets driven much harder and the ABS is really not so bad... but the fact that these cars are such capable handlers and do tend to get driven hard is all the more reason that the ABS should be as good as possible.

Huh, the ABS works good on mine.

How many of you are experiencing this with stock struts on your cars?
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.