Subaru WRX - ABS Problems? NHTSA/ODI - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX - ABS Problems? NHTSA/ODI within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX Our tax dollars at work. Present company excepted, of course... Aren't you in the military?! You're ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Our tax dollars at work.
    Present company excepted, of course...
    Aren't you in the military?! You're on my side buddy!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by MidKnight
    Aren't you in the military?! You're on my side buddy!
    Err, I think you must be confusing me with someone else. I'm about as "private sector" as it gets...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Err, I think you must be confusing me with someone else. I'm about as "private sector" as it gets...
    Could've sworn i remembered reading that you were a military guy.... oh well....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for posting that letter. Funny thing is I filed a complaint and never got a letter. I will definitely send that guy some email.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

I had the ABS problem happen to me once or twice. It never seems to happen on smooth or icy roads, even on the racetrack and I'm braking with maximum effort. Both times I've had it happen to me, it was on regular streets at regular speeds. Both times was stopping for a stop sign and there was some roughness in the road. I think my right front tire hit the rough patch and my ABS came on and it felt like I lost braking on all four wheels. I thought the purpose of ABS was to release the brakes only on the wheel that's slipping. It felt like the ABS system was releasing the brakes on all 4 corners, even the ones that had normal traction. Losing your brakes, even for a second, when trying to stop at a busy intersection doesn't inspire confidence in the car!

Just FYI, it's quite a legit letter. I have it here in my hand. I also work for the Air Force as a government contractor, so I'm not full of crap. Honestly, I've never had problems with my ABS except for hard braking on uneven surfaces (bumps, dirt, gravel, or manhole covers)

I think if you have ABS concerns, contact those people above. I just posted the scan of the postcard because I know some people DO have problems and never were able to voice their concerns to anyone. Hopefully this will help things out.

Just doing my part...

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Originally posted by platano
    If you find out how, let me know...

It's really easy, i do it all the time when i go offroading or in winter my ABS is killed 'till March Just pull out the fuse tha's under in the box under your dasch. The only problelm i that you'll have ABS light on. But i can live with that.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

That letter doesn't look quite right with the cartoonish WRX but if you say it's legit....

I have experienced that freaky ABS but like posters before just treat them like non ABS (pump not mash) and you are OK.

I always pull the ABS fuse at auto-x it's the second from the left on the second row.

Originally posted by MidKnight
    I've experienced it on stock struts... The only thing that helped a little was getting new tires, but it still happens, just not as often.
    +1

Hmm... I thought I recognized that "cartoonish" picture from somewhere, but it's not exactly the same. Very close resemblance though, wouldn't you say?

Originally posted by djoye
    I think I could reproduce the ABS problem ANY DAY. Just find a piece of uneven dry pavement, roll up on it doing at least 15MPH and press the brakes.
    ^^^^ Yep........

Now lets just say for that couple of seconds (or ONE second) that there is a nice fat S.U.V in front of you while you got ZERO brakes.

Instant Rate Hike

(or better yet Soccer Mom claims Mr.Whiplash )

Sound fun?

Shotgun

Originally posted by CharT
    I had the ABS problem happen to me once or twice. It never seems to happen on smooth or icy roads, even on the racetrack and I'm braking with maximum effort. Both times I've had it happen to me, it was on regular streets at regular speeds. Both times was stopping for a stop sign and there was some roughness in the road. I think my right front tire hit the rough patch and my ABS came on and it felt like I lost braking on all four wheels. I thought the purpose of ABS was to release the brakes only on the wheel that's slipping. It felt like the ABS system was releasing the brakes on all 4 corners, even the ones that had normal traction. Losing your brakes, even for a second, when trying to stop at a busy intersection doesn't inspire confidence in the car!
    Sooner or later......

Check NASOIC about the guys wife that plowed into someone and the police wrote her up a ticket ON TOP of her getting stuck with the "accident" claim!

Shotgun

I had this happen numerous times with my '02 WRX, just hit a bumpy patch while moderately braking and the ABS kicks in just like you were braking on ice...Scary!!!
    I posted about this numerous times a few years ago and I got alot of "hey, you must have been driving too fast for conditions" type of responses.
    The good news is that Subaru seems to have fixed this problem, at least I have not seen it sofar in my my new '04 Sti.
    2004 WR Blue STi

I am wondering if it is happening on the STi's as well. Could it be the smaller brakes that's causing the issue?

Maybe they need to recall and upgrade all the brakes to Brembo

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by driverj

Maybe they need to recall and upgrade all the brakes to Brembo
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.