How bad are EVO's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How bad are EVO's? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was reading a post in another forum about the EVO. The owner said, with only 1100 miles on the ...

How bad are EVO's?

I was reading a post in another forum about the EVO.

The owner said, with only 1100 miles on the car it already had
    " 9 interior rattles, 3rd,4th,5th, gear grinding, clutch vibration, and defective rotors" He basically said the car is a piece of shxt.

The guy was an LS1 owner before moving to the EVO. He seemed very disappointed.

I was just wondering if he got a lemon or these problems are more wide spread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I dont think they are bad most of the time.

Its a new car, so there are definitly going to be some issues that will be fixed and issues taken care of in future production models.

Sounds like it was just that one that was poorly made.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds exactly like a lot of gripes around here.
    The tranny is defective (cause I killed it racing)
    The clutch is defective (cause I killed it racing)
    The rotors are defective (cause when I'm not racing I ride the brakes real bad)
    It rattles really bad (cause I've never driven a Japanese car before and I let my rust-bucket chevy slide cause it's American and has a gigantic V8)
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Yeah, my car has a bunch of rattles, 3rd gear and reverse grinds, hard to put into first. I don't think the EVO is bad, just more people say the problems they have with it. I would still consider a EVO if I didn't already have my WRX.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Re: How bad are EVO's?

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I was reading a post in another forum about the EVO.

The owner said, with only 1100 miles on the car it already had
    " 9 interior rattles, 3rd,4th,5th, gear grinding, clutch vibration, and defective rotors" He basically said the car is a piece of shxt.

The guy was an LS1 owner before moving to the EVO. He seemed very disappointed.

I was just wondering if he got a lemon or these problems are more wide spread.
    That was me, and I did get a "bad" car. I drove a few other stock evos and mine was far slower, and had many problems the others did not. I wouldn't judge all evos off of the lemon I got if that's what the question was.

Sounds to me like this guy can't drive his evo at all. That's what will happen when you beat your car to death, American or Not. Sucks to be him.

03 Wagon WRB

Originally posted by high on 02C
    Sounds to me like this guy can't drive his evo at all. That's what will happen when you beat your car to death, American or Not. Sucks to be him.

03 Wagon WRB
    The thread starter missquoted my problems btw. I had:
    clutch pedal vibe
    horribly rough idle (can't see out rear view it's so bad)
    1st, 2nd, and 5th gear grinds
    noisy tob
    steering wheel shake
    decel noise and clunk
    9 DIFFERENT INTERIOR RATTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (THEY ARE THERE EVERY TIME I DRIVE THE CAR)

and to top it all off my car is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than other stock evos I've driven

As far as your comment goes, I'll give you the short answer. I am the most anal person ever when it comes to my cars. I even towed it home from the dealership so I wouldn't have to drive it on the interstate. I changed the oil twice in 1000 miles, and never took it over 5000rpm or even shifted aggressively. In fact, I didn't drive it for the first week so I could keep it in the garage and put 10 coats of zaino on. The moral of the story, don't jump to conclusions.

BTW, pm me for the long answer

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    reverse grinds
    Why : no synchros

The fix : Wait a few sec. after disengaging the clutch before trying to shift into reverse. Any time the clutch is engaged, the gears and main shaft are spinning. When you disengage the clutch it takes them a sec. or so for them to stop.

It works for me
    Last edited by bdoug; 03-10-2004 at 09:05 AM.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Well, i beleieve its just the luck of the draw. SOme cars never have any problems, but some are screwed up all the time. Its just luck. No one car company is gonna be 100% perfect in all the cars (except for ferrari, etc.)
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

the EVO isn't bad... most of the people who complain fail to realize the EVO is not built to be a luxury car.... its a enthuisists (sp) car.... i love mines and i don't care i'll take its shortcomings and deal with it... not many just the gas tank.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

I just read a Thread (I'll find it) I believe it was over in the Nasico forum.
    The EVO owner sail he had to sell his car because it was so unreliable. He didn't want to go into full detail but he was very un happy with it. He said he felt lucky to get rid of it when he did. A little scary. He is now looking to buy a WRX or WRX wagon.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's just that we get so many of the exact same comments over here. I figure these are the same.

Story: I remember a guy back awhile on NASIOC (when it was I-club) who had a 2002 2.5RS that he said had a defective motor, a defective turbo, defective brakes, defective frame, defective speedo, defective radio, defective seats, defective wheels - basically every part on the car. Supposedly it was so bad that Subaru refunded his money. Still acording to him, Subaru were a bunch of lying idiots who couldn't design or build a decent car to save their lives. And he couldn't wait for the 2003 2.5rs to come out so he could buy one!

Moral: Take what people on the internet say with a spoonful of salt. You never know what their point-of-view might be or what sort of mental defects they might suffer from. Or they just happened to get the one car in a thousand that had a couple of problems.

Seriously, start looking around at old posts. There are a lot of "WRX = POS" posts over the few years the car has been out. And we all know WRX /= POS.

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    Take what people on the internet say with a spoonful of salt.
    LMAO
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Also, remember that when there is a problem with a car, people are a lot more vocal. When everything is perfect with your car, you don't go around yelling about how good it is, do you?

Originally posted by nolimitbodnar
    Also, remember that when there is a problem with a car, people are a lot more vocal. When everything is perfect with your car, you don't go around yelling about how good it is, do you?
    I know a few that do

Anyway, let me once again reiterate that my evo was a "bad" car, as the 4 others I drove were significantly different. Also it was never my intention to tarnish the reputation of other evos. I made the fatal mistake of not test-driving the car before I bought it, as I wanted to change the synthetic out for dino immediately (ended up not doing this anyway).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast