another one STOLEN! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on another one STOLEN! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not discuss any security stuff in the open. My WRX was one ...

GXX
    Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not discuss any security stuff in the open. My WRX was one of the 30+ that have been stolen in the past 4 months. I have it back now and have a good security devices on it and do not want them finding anything out, because over at the Tri States forum we are pretty certain they are reading the boards.

These guys have been spotted many times now, seems like the same two guys -- one black and one lighter skinned, probably hispanic. My tally is about 30 cars since August when mine was stolen and that is just the ones that have been reported on the boards, so I am sure the true number is in excess of 50. The only ones that did not get taken were the ones that were not driveable. Some get burned, some get stripped, some never show up, and some are just dumped, like mine was. It is thought that they are being used for car tag, kinda like bumper cars on the highway. Most of the ones that are found have a lot of minor bumper damage and such, just like mine did. There is alos a text messaging alert system. You have to PM Paisan over at Nasioc.

-joe
    which is why i said, PM if that's a better form of communication. i definitely understand your concerns tho.

its not like i'm asking where your switch is whatever, i just wanted to know where to even start for my own protection. again, PM if its a better idea, i want to protect my scooby as much as you do.

ps: i'm also in the tri-state area, so i'm just as concerned.
    w00t!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey, its cools, I was not even speaking directly to you...I just wanted to make sure the thread did not turn into a DIY for stealth security

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I'm glad i live in ND. This is one of the reasons why i don't want to put stereo equipment in my car, it seems like the one this theives here target the most.

Sry to hear about the car, maybe they are hiding here.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Originally posted by Wade-0
    I has nothing to do with Subaru. Just about ANY factory anti-theft countermeasure can be circumvented with the right tools. It's especially easy on a car with keyless entry, they can just grab your code out of the air. I think encryption mechanisms like the pinpad or the RAVELCO are the only safe bet. The more your car resembles a computer, the more it needs to be secured like one.

What I'd like to know is why they don't implement rolling security codes in keyless remotes like they do in garage door opener remotes. Probably the same reason they don't do a lot of things: to cut costs.

Luckily, I live in an area of the country where I can accidentally leave my car unlocked overnight and odds are very good nothing will happen to it.
    Most manufacturers do have code hopping keyless entry remotes. I'm constantly re-syncronizing them for Chevrolet. The domestics and most German imports are very difficult to steal, right from the factory. No theft deterrent is perfect, including aftermarket add ons like th e keypads you mentioned, but the idea is to make it more difficult and deter the slacker losers that are responsable for most auto theft. Subaru knew there was a problem with WRX theft from thier experience in Australia. Subaru made absolutely no effort to deter theft on the WRX.
    Last edited by chevyeater; 01-27-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Ive noticed talk of keypads, expensive alarm systems, but heres how i look at it. If someone really wants to get into your car then theres just no stoping it.

Keypads are nice and fancey but its as simple as using a slimjim to pop the doors. So the next line of defense is inside the car itself.

'The Club' is worthless, think about it for a second, it attaches to your steering wheel, which is designed to colapse around your arms in an accident so that you dont break your arms, so its by design soft, and extreamily easy to just saw through. The next thing might be, and i forget the name, but its a steel bar that locks down on either the break peddle or the clutch peddle because these two, the break in particular, was designed to withstand the extreme force of a 400 pound gorilla stomping down as hard as his beastly legs will allow him, so again by design they are extreamily solid and ill conclude from this, hard to cut through. Although ive never used one so my opinion is mostly just educated guess, but id much prefer this type of defense as oposed to an extra electronic key.

The post about the extra electronic key, this are nice and fancy and prob expensive as well, but lets think about if for a second. The car thevies dont have your ignition key anyways, unless they are using master keys, so its really just down to following some wires around the back of your dash and figureing out what to cut and splice togather. So i think any some what 'professional'? car thief would know what to cut or splice to start your car either way. Which brings me to my next point.

Fuel cut devices, i think these are very promiseing, however i would not trust any shop to install one for me, as im sure they would just install in a standard place with possibley? standard color codings wires and such, although im sure any respectible alarm install show uses non standard colors. So i would highly recomend that each of you figure out how to make your own fuel cut device and hide it somewhere that none is going to think to look and please remember, that its only as secure as your ability to make the install stealthy!

How about, ecu controled theft deturent, now heres a nifty idea, and possibly a very promiseing one. Not sure exactly what the Accessport will provied but it looks like a great way to stop would be thief's from driving off with your car!

Last but most deffiantly not least, LoJack or th like!!!!! This is prob your best option, as your not going to stop any motovated thief from gaining access to your car, but you sure are going to make it damn hard for them to get very far off with it

So, in conclusion, the best option is prob to go with some combination of all of the above, but remember anyone with enough motovation is going to have your car and theres nothing you can do about it, so please if at all possible insure your babies. And as far as people ripping off stuff from inside your car, theres really nothing you can do about it, if you've got the latest in bling stereo, then your car is going to be a target no matter what, just use common sense, and make it stealthy not shinny! And please for the love of god dont go bumping that system when you enter an area your going to park you car

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but i hope it helps, i know everyone really allready knows these things but i think its good every once in a while to put it all down, although im sure i missed alot, such that our brains dont have to strain as hard to see the big picture. Best wishes, and stay safe out there.

Synx,

just my .02
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

http://www.brant.com.au/html/carsec.htm

there you go people

I know if a thief wants in they will still get in
    people still have there rexes broken into and stereos nicked or whatever

but they cannot drive the car away unless they have the code

happy reading

Originally posted by EvilCerealBoX
    i was thinking of making a system that would electrify the entire outside/body of the car so if anyone touched it, they would get a nasty shock... problem would be the fact that it would cause it to become a magnet and mess up the ECU and other electronics... or atleas tin theory
    people used to actually do this an anti-theft device. all you have to do is just pull your ground wire, so its not being circulated into the block. this way, not only is your engine going to have a hard time starting, but since there is not connection to the block there is a current runnning through the car.

the people that tried it.... sued! i think its illegal now. I heard a case about some theif tried to steal it and got zapped real bad. he told the court he had a similar looking car and wasnt paying attention and thought it was his car. he sued for a lot of $$$

Where do you guys live in new jersey that they are getting stolen so i know. My friends Audi got stolen to by a puerto rican. The cops recovered it 2 weeks later and found it like 30 minutes away from me in Union City, New Jersey. They stained the seats and that is about it. You know how they stole it though. They drilled a hole in the handle of the door and then used some kind of tool and just popped the lock. Then they tripped the alarm and did it with a span time of 10 min. That is crazy and professional. They know what they are doing In New Jersey so be aware. It is mostly chop shops that are hiring people to do this and pay them a **** load of money. So they get trained by the people there, then they go out and do it. It is a crazy scam some got busted for it around by me.

Originally posted by chevyeater
    Subaru knew there was a problem with WRX theft from thier experience in Australia. Subaru made absolutely no effort to deter theft on the WRX.
    Just because a car gets stolen alot in a whole other country doesn't neccesarily mean it'll get stolen alot in the other. camry's are really high on the usa's stolen list; should toyota put a strong anti-theft device on an austrailian camry?
    '03 wrx sedan | '03 Mazda 6
    always take the road less traveled

a clifford alarm works good. my brothers friend had his car broken into twice. now hes got a clifford alarm, works awesome!

Originally posted by allan r
    Just because a car gets stolen alot in a whole other country doesn't neccesarily mean it'll get stolen alot in the other. camry's are really high on the usa's stolen list; should toyota put a strong anti-theft device on an austrailian camry?
    hahaha that is a good point, I thought to myself, people steal camrys? why would you steal a camry LOL

but seriously WRX's are still a stupidly high theft target here
    and the insurance companies punish us badly for it. It's a car that gets a certain rep and because of that it's a target. It was only a matter of time for you guys...

Originally posted by wombat
    hahaha that is a good point, I thought to myself, people steal camrys? why would you steal a camry LOL

but seriously WRX's are still a stupidly high theft target here
    and the insurance companies punish us badly for it. It's a car that gets a certain rep and because of that it's a target. It was only a matter of time for you guys...
    Wombat did you get my PM?
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

you guys think thats bad? have you heard about the EVO8 in russia? there have been more thefts reported than there are evos... so in theory, every evo in russia has been stolen twice...

why people never know about this, I don't know however....
    your best solution is to obtain a hoodlock. It's a covered, hardened cable that has one end ni the cabin of the car, the other locking the hood. there is a cylinder key to open the lock. it's very difficult to circumvent and why is this important? because if you wire your alarm correctly, no one will be able to get under the hood to disable it.
    also install an ignition cut off switch and hide it well.
    this will render the car too annoying to steal unless you're towing it. interior sirens are great.

cars are stolen usually for parts, and the wrx isn't much of a target for that unless they're reselling performance mods.

someone should set up a sting.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...=-1&PID=952457
    Last edited by cyrilgrey; 02-02-2004 at 04:28 PM.

just use a fuel cut off system... then you'd have to tow it... but if it's lowered, good luck towing it...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast