The official WRX VS The Curb thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I won't go into the details, but suffice is to say that it wasn't exactly a shining moment. I bent ...

Smile The official WRX VS The Curb thread

I won't go into the details, but suffice is to say that it wasn't exactly a shining moment. I bent one (passenger side) of my control arms. I have a couple of questions.

According to what I have read, this may be a good time to upgrade to aluminum control arms.
    Has anyone done this, and how hard was it?
    Does is require special (factory) tools?
    Can you point me to a procedure posted somewhere?

Has anyone else bent this before? Was there any other collateral damage? I think everything else may be ok. I am concerned that the crossmember could be bent because of the mount for the control arm. My thinking is the bushing's ability to allow movement may have prevented this.

I am also concerned that the strut may be bent. Anyone have a good way to check this?

What about the wheel bearing, should it be replaced? It is the pont at which all the energy is transferred from the wheel to the suspension, when this impacted. Do you think it could take it?

Also, I was thinking about replacing the sway bar links while I had it apart. Opinions on those? Worth the money?

An interesting side note. The wheel (although showing some damage) is for the most part, ok. The point of impact was exactly at one of the spokes, and it seems to have held up. It rolls smoothly. That surprised me.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just wondering, how fast were you going when you hit the curb?

Maybe 15 or 20 mph when I hit.

If you have to pay for the repair then go alu. It is lighter and
    stronger.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No special tools needed to replace the front control arm except possibly a pickle fork to remove the ball joint. There are some rear bushing clearances that need to be adhered to. I haven't seen this in any of the mod sites- Manual 5 is the chassis one that would detail this repair.

If my information is correct, one oe control arm (SOA calls front transverse link) costs as much as the pair of STi arms (which also include rear STi bushings). So unless there is a reason (autox classification) I would definitely spring for the aluminum arms.

If you suspect there may be other damage (cross member, strut) it would probably be worth checked out by a dealer just to be safe.

Sway bar links-if you have the sedan you have the "good" front links already. If you have a wagon, I haven't seen replacement links for the front-only replacement bushings (Kartboy).

Big Sky

Thanks for the info, Big Sky.

I have called the dealer and here are the prices.
    OEM control arm (transverse link) $270 each
    labor to install $240 each
    STi Aluminum arms from http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/ $370 per pair, including 2nd day shipping. They are $370 plus tax if your dealer happens to stock them, or you can wait 7 to 10 days. Mine doesn't. These come with the good group N bushings and all the mounting hardware already installed (so I'm told, I'll confirm when they arrive).

It doesn't look like there is any other damage (other than the wheel). I will put it together, and see how it works. I figure if they can align the front end ok, no fluid leaks from the steering box, no noise from the strut and it feels right, it must be ok.

I'll keep you updated.

Bill

Keep in mind that due to the increased strength of the aluminum control arms, if you were to hit a curb again you would/could bend the frame, crossmember, etc instead of a relatively cheap control arm.

As far as installation - it is pretty strightforward. There is a one or two page section in the shop manual detailing the process. Ask your dealership to photocopy it for you.

Lastly, there are a couple of salvage yards that have WRXs. Do a search here or on i-club to find their names/locations. You might be able to get a better deal.

Good Luck

me too

I just hit three points of my suspension on something close to a curb doing 30mph. The shop told me that I need to replace both right side struts; left control arm; 3 wheels; rear knuckle, bearings and sears; and rear cross member.

I'm looking at the STi Performance Suspension kit right now. It looks like a nice upgrade while I'm doing repairs. It's $1600 for two aluminum control arms, 4 struts, 4 springs, sway bar, bushings, etc.. I looked at the MRT DMS kit, but it's a lot more $$$ and it's just struts and springs. I don't think I need all that performance in my struts/springs.

Now I got to wake up early and call subaruparts.com (saved $150 over dealers quote) and tell them not to ship the stock control arm.

Is there an upgraded rear member that doesn't bend easily? Or will that put all the pressure on the chassis?
    SPT/STi Performance Suspension w/arms and front sway
    Lexan Impreza Foglight Covers

Red face hit a curb

Hey everyone, need some help. Drifted into a curb in a parking lot and bent some suspension components. Replaced the rear spindle assembly, it made an improvement but I till have some positive camber. From underneath everything up front seems to be straight but when the car is off the jackstands the front also shows some positive camber. It's soo slight that it's hard to determine exactly what pieces are bent. I got an alignment yesterday but the guy who did it was a real lacky. Something is still bent. I'm not sure where to go or what to do next. Could it be the trailing arm, lateral links, strut, or all three. Some input would be much appreciated. BTW, car tracks straight drives fine.
    THanx

Have it thrown on a frame jig so that they can baseline the car. If they are good, they will find your problem. Dont forget that there will always appear to be positive camber whan the wheels are hanging. I think if the car tracks straight, and the tires dont wear funny, you should be OK.

I tapped a curb last night....

...and I am not sure if I did damage or not. I think that my right front might be a little bent. The wheel doesn't seem to be bent but you can see the scapes on it.

It looks like there is negative camber on that one wheel now. If it was belt how can I tell? I am going to take it to a suspension shop to have it looked at on Monday. Is there anything that I can check myself to see if it is belt? Would it be making any sounds from the brakes or anything? Is it bad to drive it if it is bent?

Thanks
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Does the front end shake when you drive it now?
    Do you feel a shimmy in the steering wheel?
    Did you slam into a curb or just scrape it?

If you bent a wheel, there would be little doubt. As for the negative camber, unless you hit the top of the wheel on something, with considerable force, it is unlikely that curbing a wheel would effect your alignment in that way. If you did a parallel slam into a curb the end result may be positive camber (top of the wheel out).

Have the alignment checked if the car pulls or wanders.

Peace,

Curtis

I did slam into the curb (the scape is a result of it)...

I don't get and shaking or any type of shimmy in the wheel.

Sorry I did mean positive camber (top of the wheel seems out). But this is all I am going on. I don't seem to have any other effects. I guess I am a little paranoid.

I am just worried because I am an aggressive driver and I don't want to worry about anything when I am driving and I am getting coilovers in June.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Take it to an alignment shop and have it checked. Also have the wheel checked to see if its true (not bent).

Good luck

Big Sky

did nearly the same thing

was doing some "spirited" driving in the snow a week and a half ago. Over-drifted and went SLAM sideways into the curb. Hit pretty hard, Rear wheel hit just before the front wheel and took the majority of the force. Cracked my drivers side rear wheel, scraped the front. The impact also bent my rear wheel in at the bottom about 1.5 inches (positive camber). Its costing me $1200 for 2 new rims and whatever suspension related replacements they are doing.

Sux

Car's been in the shop since the accident. I filed w/ my insurance, hope my rates don't go up.

Watch out, snow is slippery!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.