The official WRX VS The Curb thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Stumbo Nothing wrong with having a tire shaved... ditto...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Stumbo
    Nothing wrong with having a tire shaved...
    ditto

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Belted a curb, now I wobble

Hey Hey,

I hit a curb last night and whacked my front left wheel at about a 30 degree angle doing 20kmh. There is no obvious damage/buckling to the rim and no obvious tyre bulge. There is now a minor wobble coming through the steering wheel, and I am wondering if I have just knocked the camber out, knocked the wheel out of balance or done something a bit more serious. I have whiteline suspension and sways with stock rims and Potenza tyres.

Any thoughts? - as I dont want a suspension shop to drill me for big dollars by replacing my entire front setup.

control arms and bushings

u might have messed bent the control arms and if u did i got some new sti control arms that im selling for

I'd say to get an alignment done, drive around for a while and see if it comes back and possibly go back and make sure that the alignment is still where you set it after a week or two. Then depending on those results you can either assume it's just the alignment that was off or if it was the control arm, tie rods, etc.

I can assure you (from personal experience) that you can mess a lot of things up with a curb and even with those speeds you could have bent some pricey parts.
    autobahn storming scooby

I dunno, I just don't think I trust it. It doesn't sound like a good thing to me. I just picture a cheese slicer being taken to a brand new tire.

Do they have machines that do it or what?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by verbal
    I dunno, I just don't think I trust it. It doesn't sound like a good thing to me. I just picture a cheese slicer being taken to a brand new tire.

Do they have machines that do it or what?
    Shaving of competitive has been done for a long time. Yes it's a machine that does it. Here's a good article from tire rack- talks about tire shaving and awd systems.

Boils down to either buying one shave tire- matching your others or buying four new ones at full tread- you have to do the math. Much depends on the current wear and condition of your tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...chingtires.jsp

Big Sky

you should theoretically be able to just match the front pair and rear pair as long as they aren't TOO far off (couple K miles)

i would say replace the set anyway at 15K

dR

I Support ClubWRX
    I think Subaru says they must be within 3/32"? Does that sound right?
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by GV27
    I think Subaru says they must be within 3/32"? Does that sound right?
    2/32nd of each other in treadwear- so yes that is correct.

How many miles on the tires?

Big Sky

Thanks gents.
    Just had an alignment done, which came back to say that I knocked the wheel in question out by 3 degrees, and that it is also buckled some. After a rotation and balance all is ok, except now I want to spend 2000 bucks on the racing rims and Eagle F1 tyres I saw while I was there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by archiebrown
    Thanks gents.
    Just had an alignment done, which came back to say that I knocked the wheel in question out by 3 degrees, and that it is also buckled some. After a rotation and balance all is ok, except now I want to spend 2000 bucks on the racing rims and Eagle F1 tyres I saw while I was there.
    I don't understand what your saying you knocked it out three degrees- three degrees of what. Generaly speaking if your 3 degrees of caster or camber out, balancing your tires won't do it.

Do you have your before/after alignment #'s- I'd be able to tell a lot more w/ the #'s.

Big Sky

Here's some numbers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Your rear toe was way out of wack- good thing you went in for an alignment. Your front was a little out, but not nearly as bad as your rear.

Your caster # is right where it should be and your camber #'s are right at spec as well.

I always get nervous when someone hits a curb as it can do a fair amount of suspension damage. You look like your in good shape.

Big Sky

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    2/32nd of each other in treadwear- so yes that is correct.

How many miles on the tires?

Big Sky
    I put them on at 19k spring of 2003. Took them off for winter, so I'm not sure how many miles are on them. Just put them back on a month ago and I'm at 40k now. So I'd say at LEAST 15k is on them.

I've never gotten an alignment since I bought the car and I'm kinda anal when it comes to certain things. I'm not sure if they're wearing evenly. The Toyo T1S Proxes are a little loud to me lately, so I'm considering buying a whole new set. Hopefully I can find something that gives the same performance and treadwear but less noise. *shrug*

I need coilovers first anyway.

STi rims + concrete curb = :-(

One of my rims got a bite taken out of it by a curb last night. It's all scraped up (pretty badly) now. Any tips or tricks on how to smooth it out or fix the coating to prevent corrosion? I guess these are going to be my winter rims now...

(BTW I only parked close to the curb so no one would hit me, someone else moved my car and hit the wheel!)
    Black 2005 STi
    Mods: iPod resting in console and turbo gauge