The official WRX VS The Curb thread - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official WRX VS The Curb thread within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Suspension and steering, plus a new fender and a sand and respray of the front bumper skin. -joe...

Suspension and steering, plus a new fender and a sand and respray of the front bumper skin.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    I will show you my bill for $6600 (hit a patch of gravel on pretty bald RE92s and smacked a curb at about 30mph) and have a couple of other guys that I know show you there bills for $2K+ and $4K+. Like I said, the rear is probably less expensive than the front (no steering to deal with), but there is a lot of damage that is done that cannot be seen and will cause premature failure of many components. It is better to be safe than sorry.

-joe
    Joe-

How much damage did your wheel and tire suffer? And would you recommend anyone other than Subaru to do the ?? Inspection?

Quite a bit, but a front wheel impact is much more direct than a rear wheel impact with the ass end hanging out. If you have a respected body shop around you, have them take a look at it. Subaru will charge you $84/hr to look at your car.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    subtract $140 for the fender, $400 a panel to paint (bumper and fender) plus materials. The body damage alone cost you over $1000. I think the were still a little brutal on you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, just being honest. I fix cars and try not to rape people. Some people just have no mercy

Joe-

I hope you have your insurance cover the $6600 tab. Sure your insurance will go up. But not $6600 over the course of 3 yrs!

Yeah insurance covered it. Even if it goes up 10-15%, it will still be cheaper than my first year of coverage when I was 24. I got a huge discount when I turned 25, I figure I will lose about half that discount. I also made another huge claim this year when my car was stolen....so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

And hopefully I will make NO claims in 04.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Shops that resurface/repair curb rash?

Yes, i know. Just posting it i feel like an idiot. I have 18" Speedline 2113's on my car.....got a bit careless and scraped the crap out of my right rear rim . Does anyone know of any shops that can repair it to new? I also want to have the left front re-done , it has a few blemishes ( the rims were on the car when i bought it ). How heavy are these wheels BTW? I'm thinking about maybe going to a lighter wheel.

such places exist. in boston, there's a place called RimPRO that does it.

try your regional forum for more local advice.

*moved*

dR

When my car was at Mike Shaw's body shop, they had one of my rims done. Maybe call them and see who they use.
    Catalytic converters are for hippies.

So I run over a curb...

..and almost take a one inch chunk out of my Toyo T1S Proxes. There's a flap of rubber now, so I need to get a new tire just to be safe. There's also a half inch scrape on the lip of my LE37Ts. It's still functional, just knowing it's messed up bothers me. Not sure if I'm going to replace it or not.

Question is, should I get one new rear tire or two new rear tires? I remember reading a few things about if the thread is off it could mess with something on the car. Is this true? What would you guys do?

It depends on how worn down your tires are. In theory all four tires should be the same diameter to keep the differentials happy. Depending on where you buy your tires you may be able to get the new tire shaved so that it matches the tread depth of the other tires.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Originally posted by driggity
    It depends on how worn down your tires are. In theory all four tires should be the same diameter to keep the differentials happy. Depending on where you buy your tires you may be able to get the new tire shaved so that it matches the tread depth of the other tires.
    I can't be too sure how many miles are on them, but I'm thinking somewhere around 10k - 15k. I wouldn't trust buying a new tire and having it shaved.

I guess I might have to buy four new tires. Ugh..can anybody PLEASE give me more info?

The official word from Subaru is that all the tires need to be within 1/4" of circumference.

http://www.subaru.com/home/faqs/faq_tech.jsp#3

Why wouldn't you trust having a tire shaved? And how much tread is left? If they're getting low anyways just get 4 new ones. This is one reason why road-hazard warranties are extra nice on tires for AWD cars. Most companies will give you a prorated value for all 4 tires if one needs to be replaced.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Nothing wrong with having a tire shaved...

Have You Attempted Stumbo's $100 Challenge? Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    This thread delivers.
    QFT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.